Street Masters» Forums » General

Subject: Story Decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the updates I'm getting excited about the story decks.

In one of the updates could you guys show an example of a story card and how it actually modifies gameplay and adds to the narrative?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mydnight wrote:

In one of the updates could you guys show an example of a story card and how it actually modifies gameplay and adds to the narrative?

Thanks.

Definitely! We are just waiting for some updated card graphics to show off the actual cards. But I can answer questions here in the meantime. To give a little more detail:

There are technically 2 types of story decks, the regular story decks and the "Hero Story" decks. Both use the same basic mechanics, but while the players can only take on 1 story deck at a time, each fighter can choose to bring undertake their own Hero Story within that main story.

Each story deck features Story Stage cards that set the narrative, and each of these cards has a Prologue side and an Epilogue side. The Prologue side offers the introduction narrative and sets the scene, while also providing special setup instructions and special rules. The Epilogue side is broken up into 2 parts, a pass part and a fail part, with the results of what happened. Then the card will instruct you to advance to the next card (for example, Part 2A or Part 2B).

In addition to the story stage cards in the deck, story decks offer a variety of other cards, such as enemy upgrade cards, fighter upgrade cards, penalty/perk cards, etc.

One of my favorite cards I've designed so far is a "Film Crew" perk card for Brandon's Hero Story. He's setting out to display his real martial arts skills by making a documentary of his feats against the Kingdom. This card gives Brandon a motivational boost, since he's so comfortable in front of the camera. But if things go wrong, his crew might bail on him

Happy to answer any specific questions as they arise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool!

With regards to the pass /fail, does this mean the pass/fail affects the next Stage? That would be sweet So it is effectively 'campaign' play? (not legacy, clearly -- although to be honest the distinction between the two is rather sketchy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mydnight wrote:
Cool!

With regards to the pass /fail, does this mean the pass/fail affects the next Stage? That would be sweet So it is effectively 'campaign' play? (not legacy, clearly -- although to be honest the distinction between the two is rather sketchy)

Definitely campaign style play, with linked sessions and changing decks, but not legacy since it won't require you to permenately alter the components of the game.

The story stage cards make sure to track your failures and successes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scottie Mick
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strayknife wrote:
mydnight wrote:

Thanks.

Definitely! We are just waiting for some updated card graphics to show off the actual cards. But I can answer questions here in the meantime. To give a little more detail:

There are technically 2 types of story decks, the regular story decks and the "Hero Story" decks. Both use the same basic mechanics, but while the players can only take on 1 story deck at a time, each fighter can choose to bring undertake their own Hero Story within that main story.

Each story deck features Story Stage cards that set the narrative, and each of these cards has a Prologue side and an Epilogue side. The Prologue side offers the introduction narrative and sets the scene, while also providing special setup instructions and special rules. The Epilogue side is broken up into 2 parts, a pass part and a fail part, with the results of what happened. Then the card will instruct you to advance to the next card (for example, Part 2A or Part 2B).

In addition to the story stage cards in the deck, story decks offer a variety of other cards, such as enemy upgrade cards, fighter upgrade cards, penalty/perk cards, etc.

One of my favorite cards I've designed so far is a "Film Crew" perk card for Brandon's Hero Story. He's setting out to display his real martial arts skills by making a documentary of his feats against the Kingdom. This card gives Brandon a motivational boost, since he's so comfortable in front of the camera. But if things go wrong, his crew might bail on him

Happy to answer any specific questions as they arise!

Oh man this sounds SO COOL!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bergdall
msg tools
I'm very interested in the story decks. The format sounds incredibly fun. I know some are wanting more detailed, rpg-style campaign rules, but I feel story decks are a good compromise of providing more detailed, story-focused play while retaining Street Masters ease of single session play.

One thing I've been curious about though, will the story decks list what enemy factions appear? With the Redemption character decks, it could factor into player's character choices.

I'm guessing the best option will be to play the story modes with base characters the first time through but was just hoping for an option to avoid accidental spoilers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shiro
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
So how many stages are in a story deck on average? Also how many story decks are we getting in a pledge? How many stages are in a hero story deck on average? Finally is there any hope in getting hero story decks for Tiger, Clint, and the Murdock twins (since we will reach them)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Iceberg256 wrote:

One thing I've been curious about though, will the story decks list what enemy factions appear? With the Redemption character decks, it could factor into player's character choices.

I'm guessing the best option will be to play the story modes with base characters the first time through but was just hoping for an option to avoid accidental spoilers.

In the "main" stories, yes, certain story stages will usually dictate which enemy faction you fight and which stage its set in. For "Hero Stories" only the bonus stages do this. The other 2 stages in a hero story are just modular to whatever the main story sets up.

The Redemption box will detail how they are used in story mode. This is kind of a special case, considering how near impossible it would be to avoid pitting a fighter version character against their boss equivalent.

In short, players are free to incorporate the Redemption bosses into their main stories. This means bosses would inevitably encounter their fighter equivalents. However, this can be explained thematically; for example, there's an impostor Dmitri out there running the Brotherhood, and the real Dmitri (fighter version) is out to take him down. Or is the fighter version the impostor and he doesn't even know it?! I

In the Street Masters setting, cloning is an established thing, so this all actually makes thematic sense

This also pays homage to the old arcade fighters where you could pit different colored versions of characters against each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mactireban wrote:
So how many stages are in a story deck on average? Also how many story decks are we getting in a pledge? How many stages are in a hero story deck on average? Finally is there any hope in getting hero story decks for Tiger, Clint, and the Murdock twins (since we will reach them)?

A typical "main" story is 5 stages long, and this can be extended by 1 "bonus stage" for each "Hero Story" deck included in the main story. Each fighter can bring 1 "Hero Story" so that would make the entire story run 9 stages. And some stages can mix this up, of course. It's not a fixed number.

The number of story decks is 16 (2 main Core set stories, 1 Legend of Oni, 1 Pestilence, 6 core hero stories, 6 redemption stories) + 3 more if Twin Tiger unlocks (1 main, 2 Hero Stories for Axel and Rhys).

For additional "Hero Stories" for the other fighters, whatever we can't hit in the Kickstarter, you can expect stand alone deck expansions to get these out there. Every fighter needs their story told
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shiro
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Hero Ah Long better be the real version while boss Ah Long should be his evil clone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.