Subject: Lawrence city icons meaning rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathew Gardner
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello BBGers !

After my weekly review of the Kickstarter projects, I couldn't resist printing, making and solo-playing the PnP of Zero Hour in order to make my french fellows play it next week.

Things were going pretty smoothly until I have to trigger the effects of the Roadblock Hazard in Lawrence city : I just couldn't understand the exact meaning of the "black -1 health" icon.
Moreover, I can't understand the difference with the "red -1 health" icon of the Fleeing penalties.

My best guess is that one of them (the red one ?) means "one chosen survivor loses one health" and the other (the black one ?) means "every survivor loses one health".
Or the other way round.
Ot it's something I couldn't think of.
Or it's a mistake and the two icons have the same meaning. But the overall design quality of the game makes me throw that idea away

I thoroughly searched the PnP rules and the Web but I'm stuck with my interpretation...
I would greatly appreciate any hint, correction, confirmation, or compassion laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great spot of the quirk -- the black / red mismatch is a graphic inconsistency that wasn't caught until after everything was bundled.

All health icons shown as part of the FLEE or as HAZARD penalty are negative -- regardless of whether it is a red or black heart.

A single heart (black or red) with a negative number inside or shown to the upper right (-1, for example) indicates that one survivor loses one health. In the case of a Hazard, it's the survivor that triggered the hazard. There are a few cases when it's up to the group to decide who suffers the loss of health, such as if it is part of a FLEE result.

A heart icon (black or red) with a negative number inside and four arrows pointing away from it indicates that EACH survivor loses the amount of health shown inside the heart. So a (-1) heart-with-arrows means each survivor loses one health. These are especially dangerous results as it's one of the ways multiple survivors may be knocked unconscious at the same time.

Sorry for the confusion and inconvenience! It's been a challenge to codify a single, consistent icon language that is clear for both the positive and negative consequences. Thanks for taking the time to print and play the demo copy of Zero Hour -- I hope you enjoy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Gardner
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for that quick and complete explanation !

In my opinion, I find the icon language very clear : the arrow pointing away perfectly convey the information that it affects the whole group.

There is another little mistake on the PnP version : on the night side of Lawrence city, ther is a lock icon missing on the County Records Building Location.
But the grey bow make it perfectly clear it a locked Location so it doesn't prevent the Fun of playing Zero Hour
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.