Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll start by admitting that I haven't played the game as much as I had expected to. I suspect this is due, in large part, to the "Meta-ness" of the heroes' play. I tend to run the Overlord when we do play. Your group may be different, but it seems that my group is playing less against me as Overlord and more against the River.

It just seems so contrary to the theme and the cinematic-type battles I expected, to have the heroes completely ignore a group of combatants just because they know they can't be activated this turn due to their current position on the River.

I think a DM-type screen might help. If the heroes aren't quite sure if a unit is likely to be activated, their choices might differ greatly. I haven't decided if all Overlord information should be hidden. I might consider keeping the power gems visible, then the players would at least have a sense of whether a unit was likely to be activated twice. That seems fair.

As I stated, my opinion comes from only having played the game a handful of times. There have been a couple of scenarios where I have been utterly frustrated as Overlord just because my next move is plainly obvious due to the open information on the River. This can make forming any kind of strategy very difficult.

Any thoughts? Anyone try something like this already?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed.

This sounds like a really cool idea, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artemus Maximus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I now play like this. I just use one of the box lids to hide the now-mysterious Book of Skelos.

I think it encourages heroes need to play more by feeling, but is more difficult for some.

Imagine 2 heroes, disguised as guards, sneak into a castle to help a third companion escape from prison. Until an alarm is sounded, the 2 are walking around right next to enemies, and no one attacks each other (unless the heroes decide to). They never know when the alarm will sound and when it does, when the enemies around them will react to them. This seems much more tense for the heroes than planning out step by step to optimize everything. That was why I tried it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am yet to play the game, so I am not sure about ballance. This does sound like a good idea, but wasn't game ballanced in a way and kinda like a puzzle so heroes do know river and can plan and puzzle theyr next moves according to it?
As I said, I am not sure if all scenarios are ballanced, from what I got, some favor more overlord, some favor heroes. But, this might not be bad solution to those scenarios thatnfavor heroes more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a neat varient.

I've seen missions that they heroes only win because of smart tactical choices based on the river. It feels like a fun mini-game where the players often try to anticipate what I am willing to spend on a given turn.

Regardless, I might like to give this a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.