41 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Games that you could blow up and play in the backyard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Dabicci
msg tools
So I'm just looking for some ideas from the gamer world. My aunt brought a yardzee game to a cookout today which is just yahtzee but with large wooden dice made out of a cut up 4x4 and a laminated score sheet for dry-erase scoring all in a handy bucket for storage and rolling dice.

So that got me thinking. What fun hobby games could be enlarged and played in the backyard.

My first thought thanks to the yahtzee mechanic was King of Tokyo. Really there aren't that many components. Cards could be made out of full size laminated sheets of paper (though wind could pose a problem). Not sure if it would really work once I start considering character standees and health trackers but it could probably be done.

My next thought was a game called Qwixx. That game would be as easy as Yahtzee to make.

So what games do you think could be enlarged and played in the backyard.
(I know things like giant chess and giant catan exist but I'm trying to focus on things that could be made affordably)

Edit: I've also considered the following games, but I'm really looking more for a hobby game adaptation than an already mainstream game.
Checkers, chess, twister, scrabble, jenga.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an inflatable Pass the Pigs game.
Just sayin.

You literally blow it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cut a large-scale Animal Upon Animal set out of styrofoam blocks to make them easy to lift, or build hollow ones out of plywood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They had a big version of King of Tokyo at Origins a couple of years ago. I also saw a big version of Catan there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuse - using firecrackers with a long fuse...hurry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
They had a big version of King of Tokyo at Origins a couple of years ago. I also saw a big version of Catan there.

In the 90s, there was a big Robo Rally game at Origins. I think it used interlocking floor mats with painted features.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen a life size Tsuro at Gen Con a few years back.

I imagine that it'd be possible to recreate those tiles in a larger format to play in the backyard. The game and rules are rather simple and game play is quick, with the players as the playing pieces in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadae
msg tools
rdabicci wrote:
My first thought thanks to the yahtzee mechanic was King of Tokyo. Really there aren't that many components. Cards could be made out of full size laminated sheets of paper (though wind could pose a problem). Not sure if it would really work once I start considering character standees and health trackers but it could probably be done.

Proper backyard King of Tokyo means giant lizard and alien costumes for all players and oversized props for the ability cards. Wings card is actual wings attached on the back, and extra head is a monster head you stick on one shoulder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cadae wrote:
rdabicci wrote:

Proper backyard King of Tokyo means giant lizard and alien costumes for all players and oversized props for the ability cards. Wings card is actual wings attached on the back, and extra head is a monster head you stick on one shoulder

I love you this idea so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitpan
United States
Schwenksville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought of oversized can't stop using tiles and little soccer traffic cones...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

It might be possible to create tiles for Forbidden Island,

and Forbidden Desert

I also think it would be fun to do Unnamed Object this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Austin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lifesize Santorini might be possible. Gordon Hamilton has a small version for kids with styrofoam blocks that he included in a video he made about the game. But maybe something from a place like www.foamtiles.com could be used instead of blocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
There was a human sized Deep Sea Adventure at UKGE I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadae
msg tools
Hive
It's just big hexagons with pictures of bugs on them that you bend over and pick up and move

Apparently in Canada they play a life size version of Crokinole on ice with curling stones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Cadae wrote:
Hive
It's just big hexagons with pictures of bugs on them that you bend over and pick up and move

Apparently in Canada they play a life size version of Crokinole on ice with curling stones

Yes, though probably not something your average gamer can make in his/her back yard.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24904044#24904044

Hive is a good choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenga made out of 2x4s is a pretty easy project for someone unskilled in woodworking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

jumbit wrote:
Jenga made out of 2x4s is a pretty easy project for someone unskilled in woodworking.

wow
Hard hat and steel-toed boots optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:

4x4s, I should think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Medina (second edition) would be cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
jumbit wrote:

4x4s, I should think.

Jenga pieces are oblong, not square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wyatt
United States
Stewartstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was in college a friend of mine made giant Dutch Blitz cards. You played in teams of two. One person to flip the cards and one person to run them out to the piles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoboRally
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that people have made large Looney Pyramids (easy to replicate with large, sturdy cardboard), that you can then e.g. play a game like Homeworlds with -- it doesn't need a board.
But of course you can draw a provisional board with chalk on pavement, too, any board for any of the Looney Pyramid games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bennett
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are pictures on the internet somewhere of a backyard Unexploded Cow, but boy did they ever put a lot of work into enlarging that (big deck of cards, big die, even a bunch of cute inflatable cows)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
jumbit wrote:

4x4s, I should think.
I know I'm nerding out, but 2x3 (actual dimensions 1.5" x 2.5") lumber cut to lengths of 7.5 inches is almost perfectly scaled to Jenga blocks.

Pete (is still an engineer, after all)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.