Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Alan Emrich, hate to bother you, but I still have some questions left over from when I first started playing that were never really answered. Was wondering if you could help out on these before I place my order for the Premier Edition...

1. Major Spalding has an "Insert" ability, to declare a +1 DRM to a single volley of 3 or more dice before it's rolled. Since it's an "Insert" ability, after using, the card should be inserted back into the Deck. However, if/when he's re-drawn, a volley has most definitely been played (otherwise there'd have been no Insert), so isn't his card just discarded then? In effect, isn't his "Insert" ability just an alternate, delayed "Discard"? Or, do I ignore the penalty discard since he was originally pulled before the first volley to begin with? Same question could be used for the Natal Native Contingent and Natal Native Horse if, using Dick's Discard ability, those units are "Inserted" instead of "Discarded" after being played.

2. Also relating to Major Spalding, as well as the Natal Native Contingent and Natal Native Horse. If any of those cards are drawn after the first volley (or their "Discard" ability has been used), they are automatically discarded. However, can they be pulled back using Surgeon Reynolds and used, or does the original penalty discard make this not possible?

3. Corporal Allen has both an "Insert" and "Discard" ability that I have questions on. On the "Insert" ability, it states "Insert to add one (+1) to any single Volley of 1 or 2 dice before it is rolled". Is this a +1 DRM to one (or both?) dice, or is it a +1 die, making it a 2 or 3 dice Volley? For his "Discard" ability, it states "Discard to fire this card's Volley after the iMpi chit is determined (but before the iButhos advance)". So what happens to that Advance (if there was one on the chit) after the Volley if the Volley scores a hit or retreat? Do I enforce the hits, then the retreats then the advances? If there's a hit/retreat, is the advance cancelled out?

4. Same question as Corporal Allen's Discard ability exists for Corporal Schiess' Discard ability. What happens to the advance (if there was one on the drawn chit) if Corporal Schiess' Discard Volley scores a hit/retreat?

5. Not really an optional rules question, but a question on the iButhos and Hit points. Regardless of whether or not I'm using the extra hit marker for the iButhos (the one with the gold line through it), is the iButho Standee marker itself a last hit point? For example, the uThulwana iButho has 4 (or 5) standard hit markers. Do I need 5 (or 6) hits to destroy the iButho, or just 4 (or 5): the iButho standee marker is removed when the last of the used hit markers is removed? I've been playing as if the standee is an extra hit marker since the beginning.

Thanks again,

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
France
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
After all, a murder is only an extroverted suicide.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not Alan Emrich, but well ninja I'll answer as I understand the rules themselves, and how I used to deal with the questions you have :

I would say that in both cases (Major Spalding and Natal), you just discard them : flavor wise, their discard penalty makes sense ; they left for whatever reason and are no more present on the battlefield. In the Major's case, it's just that it thickens the deck a bit.

The cards state that you should discard them if drawn. The surgeon should allow what you're asking for, but I think it's about how the Natal and Major's penalties are dealt with in the first place : they shouldn't be discarded, but removed from the game entirely. That's how I would treat them (and I think I do, didn't play in some time now).

The insert ability adds a +1 DRM to the roll itself, wether it's with one or two dice. So no +2 is possible.

I think the point of the discard ability is to have an advantage, so it takes precedence on the Advance itself. The iButho is taken by surprise, and the Hit Result will supersede their action.

Here again, I think it all comes down to how the cards are written. In Allen's case, it is clear that is has to be done before the iButho advance, when which has to move has been determined. In Schiess' case, it has to be conducted during the iMpi phase, before the iButho phase itself : you could do it before or after revealing the chit.

Or maybe is it just a mistake, an inconsistance, and they both mean the same laugh My interpretation might be influenced by the very sequential manner in which Magic the Gatering cards are written.

From the manual :
Quote:
Each result of 6 is a “Hit.” Remove one Hit marker from beneath that iButho’s standee and place it in the Zulu Casualties box on the map. If it has no Hit markers remaining, then the iButho standee itself is eliminated

You just made me pull the game out, and I'm gonna play it this afternoon laugh

EDIT : regarding item #5, the standee itself also counts towards the hit points limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with Florent's answers. I haven't played ZULUS in quite a while, and you want answers from folks are right there behind the barricades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
France
flag msg tools
Groaning Grognard
badge
After all, a murder is only an extroverted suicide.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will make a correction, because for whatever reason, the pdf of the rules I got here seems outdated.

Regarding question 5, in the manual from my box which seems the most recent version, it states that the stendee itself is also considered as a Hit point : in the case of an iButho with four markers beneath the standee, it would take 5 Hits to eliminate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
In my 2nd edition copy of the rules as well as the newest premier line version of the rules, it states:
Each result of 6 is a “Hit.” Remove one Hit marker from beneath that iButho’s standee and place it in the Zulu Casualties box on the map. If it has no Hit markers remaining, and suffers another hit then the iButho standee itself is eliminated.
So the standee is also a Hit point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.