United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
http://cheyne.net/blog/index.cgi/board_games/wimmuln.html

Wimmüln

I managed to coerce my mother-in-law and Ness into a game of Wimmüln, one of the games included with Mü & Mehr. It is basically Oh Hell (or Prediction Whist, if you are British) with two differences:

1. It is played with the strange Mu deck, and you score points for the number of triangles on each won card. This means that the number of points scored in tricks is more important than in Oh Hell.
2. You make two predictions of the number of tricks you will win, using the cards in your inital hand. One card is face down, if you win the same number of tricks as the number on this card, you get a slight bonus. The other card is face up, if you win the same number of tricks as the number on this card, you get a larger bonus. This way, you are never entirely sure what your opponents are going to bid for, which spices the game up by making it less predictable.

We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I even think I prefer it to Mü, which is too complex and fiddly for casual play. I have wondered for a long time why so many games companies spend money regurgitating slight variations on trick-taking games. Tonight I got it. They are easy to teach and play, because so many people have played trick taking games before. Plus they are fun and full of skill, so even jaded gamers like them.

One slight quibble, the designers suggest playing to 200 points, we played to 100 and the game length was perfect. I wonder why card game designers so often overestimate how long people want to play their game? We played a six player game of David & Goliath once, and played six hands as the rules specified. It took about twice as long as everybody wanted it to. I will try D&G again, but to a maximum of four hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.