Gloomhaven» Forums » Variants

Subject: What to do with XP at lvl 9? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Romanov
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I know that from the official FAQ, there is no benefit of gaining/tracking XP when a character reaches lvl 9.
But, I wonder if anybody made up some house rules for converting XP to something else?
My point is that if retirement still some distance away, and character is maxed on perks as well, it will be nice to have some motivation to actually play cards for XP.
I thought of some options:
- convert XP to money at certain rate.
- create fake lvl 10,11 and so on with similar XP milestones as for previous levels. Fake leveling up will allow you to add another card to your pool (not sure, may be OP to have to lvl 9 cards?)
- you can convert certain XP to a bless card for you next scenario.

I would like to hear if anybody tried something like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Rehker
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the second idea, but maybe you should not be allowed to take the second level 9 card right at level 10. I propose:
Lvl 10= pick from lvl 2,3
Lvl 11= from 4,5
Lvl 12= 6,7
Lvl 13= 8,9

That way you still have at least Two cards to pick from and do not get OP so fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonatan dyre
Denmark
flag msg tools
you wouldn't really be overpowered just more flexible by having the choice of different cards on the same level. It's when you are allowed to bring both cards that it goes OP.
But I like the idea of getting the cards as revards added to the pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gazery Pooh

Keighley
West Yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you continue with that idea, it would allow you to get to level 17 before running out of cards.

i.e. Lvl 14 - choose from the remaining cards from lvls 2,3,4 and 5.
Lvl 15 - choose from the remaining cards from lvls 6,7,8 and 9.
Lvl 16 - choose from any remaining cards.
Lvl 17 - take final card.

Lots of scope to gain exp. Also, to help with balance. You could still limit the character in such a way that they are not allowed to choose 2 cards from the same level when selecting their hand for a dungeon. It will just give them more diversity and choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why don't you play another character instead when scenario cannot advance your personal quest?

I think it will be funnier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airo wrote:

- create fake lvl 10,11 and so on with similar XP milestones as for previous levels. Fake leveling up will allow you to add another card to your pool (not sure, may be OP to have to lvl 9 cards?)
- you can convert certain XP to a bless card for you next scenario.

Do cards normally grant xp for using them in the best way, so there's your motivation. However, you may actually be missing the xp use and not the motivation

I like fake levels but I would only allow a swap of cards. You may decide that the level 3 pick you took isn't what you want, so you can swap it out for a different level 3 or under. Level 9 is OP for most scenarios, so anything more will break things.

I also like how he idea of a free bless card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Antonio8080 wrote:
why don't you play another character instead when scenario cannot advance your personal quest?

I think it will be funnier

Indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Romanov
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there are life goals which are Independent of character class you play. It will not help to change a character. It would just mean to roll back the progress you have made so far for this life goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still work toward life goals at level 9. I can't really see much value in house ruling extra levels: you built your character on a certain path, why muddy the build by allowing your character to do -everything-?

That seems counter to game design, in general, and this game's design, specifically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe at that point give your XP to the lowest-level party member(s) to get them caught up quicker? That way it's not useless but doesn't make your level 9 character even stronger (stressing the various scaling elements of the game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.