12 Posts

Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: An Engaging and Rewarding Narrative Adventure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derrick Wildstar
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed on what a impact it makes to have one artist across all of the game elements. More so when the art is as incredible as it is here. You mentioned that it was a cause for delay in release. I'm glad Tristen was willing to delay it for this to happen. While it still would have been a great game had he used multiple artists, it would not have been THIS good. Good things come to those who wait, indeed.

You're also point on about how immersing yourself in the game by using your imagination to tell the story really elevates it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tornabe
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And to get into further there is a soundtrack to I understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
compujet1 wrote:
And to get into further there is a soundtrack to I understand.

Indeed there is:

https://youtu.be/UidAH7UCvMY?list=PLi8c-xbvjA2SzRt4a3HxNsutX...

Thanks for the epic review, Paul!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ross
United States
Minier
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnimalMkIV wrote:

The thing that really struck me when I played a demo of Gloom of Kilforth about 18 months ago was just how great it was at providing just enough detail to fire your imagination and fill in the blanks to tell a unique and interesting story and the final version of the game is no different. The use of keywords and the bits of flavour text on the cards means that if you are of a creative bent, you can really flesh out an awesome tale. The massive amount t of cards means that no two games will ever tell the same story. I am really looking forward to telling my tales and reading other's stories of how their heroes overcame (or not) the gloom.

This is what really sets it apart, from say, Runebound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Agreed. I was playing it last night got so engrossed lost track of time. I was also thinking that it is likened to my fav video game Skyrim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonFly90 wrote:
Agreed. I was playing it last night got so engrossed lost track of time. I was also thinking that it is likened to my fav video game Skyrim.

Well that is high praise - I lost over 300 hours of my life to Skyrim. And loved every minute!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played once and solo but I REALLY liked the arc of progress as you levelled up. With just 6 items and 4 skill cards and then your mega-totem, it still felt like I went from useless scrub to competent adventurer to hero of the realm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
DragonFly90 wrote:

Well that is high praise - I lost over 300 hours of my life to Skyrim. And loved every minute!

You got off light I'm still in and barely progressed the Main Story, I mean it's one thing to sandbox the game but there are a never ending amount of side quests and I can't help but want to resolve them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review Paul.
The Skyrim feel is very apt. I played along to the Kilforth music. It was very atmospheric but it was not long enough - next time the Skyrim soundtrack which comes in at 3.5 hours.
In the last game I played I sneaked and sneaked - one bad battle and I was killed by the Gloom just a location away from my final saga goal.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Paper 'Mech - winner 'Best Overall Design' in the 2016 1-page PNP Contest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easternking wrote:
Great review Paul.
The Skyrim feel is very apt. I played along to the Kilforth music. It was very atmospheric but it was not long enough - next time the Skyrim soundtrack which comes in at 3.5 hours.
In the last game I played I sneaked and sneaked - one bad battle and I was killed by the Gloom just a location away from my final saga goal.....

Interestingly (or not), I played GoK over the weekend to Depeche Mode. I lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kergen ramirez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Painted Goblin wrote:
Easternking wrote:
Great review Paul.

Interestingly (or not), I played GoK over the weekend to Depeche Mode. I lost.
d

I just can't get enough of gloom of kilforth! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.