Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Aurelio
United States
Desoto
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I have to start by saying that I absolutely love the Battles of Westeros game. It's one of my favorite two player games ever made. With that said, I haven't had anyone to play with and will not have anyone to play with for awhile. Since the beginning of 2016, we have had twin babies, moved half way across the country, and now have baby #3 on the way soon. Given my situation, I plan to sell my copy to add more baby supply funds. This game doesn't seem to have the playerbase it once had or life I expected it to maintain with the popularity of the show.

My set has been mostly painted for quite awhile. All the base units are painted with base coats, drybrush highlights, and a wash. The leaders have more detail and wet blending to bring their paint quality to a higher level that would take too long for every figure. I plan to finish painting the leaders over the next week or two in the evenings after the babies go down. Once it's completed, how much should I expect/list my copy for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have absolutely no idea how much you can sell this for as I don't know if any other sets that were painted and sold. However, you might find some interested parties if you posted pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First I'd consider how your opportunities to play might change within five years. If BoW is one of you favorites and you've put this much work into painting and basing it, you may really miss it. I know my life changes a lot year to year, and what opportunities for what games I can play changes a lot as well. I sold my Warhammer 40k armies at age 20, and in a a few years I was really wishing I still had them.

Otherwise, for selling, go with eBay. Only an auction will allow folks to say what their willing to pay. I would personally start the bidding at a the lowest price I'd feel ok with it selling for, and then see how bidding goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were in your position, I would hold on to it and teach my kids how to play it down the road. Sure, that may be several years but it's not a piece of technology, it's not going to get out of date by then. You may rekindle your joy of playing it with your kids or watching them play it with each other.

But if money is tight enough that you have to get rid of it I'm not really sure what the rate would be. You could always throw it up on ebay with a pretty high price and wait for people to offer you something lower and then decide if you think it's worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to state that I agree with the other two comments above, keep it. The game is great whether you play it now, or wait and play it in a few years when you might have more time. This set has sentimental value on top of it. I can't tell you how many times I got rid of a game and wished I had not a while down the road. When it comes to irreplaceable things like your game, I would consider long and hard about selling, especially since it does not sound like you need the money, you just don't get to play much.

I own everything for this game, and was a playtester at FFG for a couple of the expansions so it has sentimental value to me too. This game is in my "never sell" pile for that reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm. Maybe you should post some pics.

Sorry you need to sell it but congrats on your twins and baby #3 on the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Krauel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking from my experience as someone who has painted his set of BoW miniatures, despite rarely getting to play it and being a father of two small kids (6 and 7 now) I would advise you to keep the game, unless you really need the money. My kids absolutely LOVE the game, with its miniatures and them being painted (the minis, not the kids, unless they are, too). Just wait until they are some years older. From time to time, especially when one of them is sad or sick or something, or suffers from a TV ban, it´s a really great way to cheer them up: "Shall we look at my miniatures?" For some reason or anotherthis usually works. They are absolutely awed by these figures and love just to carefully handle and watch them. My boys are rather clumsy and careless with their own stuff, but never with these and treat them with due respect. By now, I have also played the game with them with extremely simplified rules. The dice and the cards are pretty interesting to show and explain, too.

Besides, the game doesn´t seem so popular so that you can count on getting serious money for your set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hahn
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I only sold my set @ $100 CDN. Mind you, it wasn't painted, however, the pieces were assembled. I also only sold it on craigslist, so that's another factor, but it doesn't seem like there's a lot of demand. This is also for the core set + Lords of the Riverlands + Baratheon expansions.

To the other posters points, my son is 8 and my daughter turning 10. We've moved beyond Risk and now are even playing Forbidden Stars, etc. It might be worth it just to keep it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.