Modern Art» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Yoko? Oh no! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Avri Balofsky
Beit Shemesh
flag msg tools
PZ 378, Eli 368, Gavriel 364, Avri 310, Eliezer 180

Don't let the gap in scores fool you, it was a very close and exciting game. Eliezer invested largely in Karl Glitters (worth a minimum of 90 if they placed) in the last round, but we all colluded to make sure they didn't place and he lost income of 270 because of it. It was probably the most hard fought game of modern art I've played, with at least 4 different artists being sold in most rounds. There was a lot of jockying for artist placement. The sealed auctions were amusing as some players valued the painting much higher than others.

In the second or third season there were already 3 lite metals, 2 Cristin Ps, and 2 Karl Glitters sold (which I had just bought). Things looked good for the round when PZ sells a double Yoko to throw everything out of whack. The rest of the season was tense as the artist that came in fourth (Cristin P)had 3 paintings sold in the end. I had managed to get Karl to win the round miraculously and thought my game was saved.

I made a large tactical mistake in the last round that may have cost me the win or at least 2nd place. I had 3 yoko paintings, and instead of selling a 4th to guarantee it coming in 2nd on the round, I sold a Cristin P to ensure Karl Glitters wouldn't place. If I had been thinking I'd have seen that Gavriel was surely going to be selling a Cristin P anyways, and I'd have ended up much stronger in that scenario. As it was Cristin places 2nd in the round and Yoko 3rd which cost me 30 on my paintings, gave other players extra cash for their Cristins, and I lost another 20 in lost income in not selling my Yoko in the first place. I enjoy losing when I can at least learn something from the experience, and this was definitely my biggest mistake this game.

Eli was surprised to come in 2nd in the end, he was helped by Eliezer practically donating to his cause by buying the third Karl Glitter.

Gavriel continued his streak of coming in 3rd (albeit a very close third) in whatever he plays. Next time he wants to play a 2-player game so he's ensured a higher placing.

A lot of fun was had, and I'm sure Modern Art will hit the table again in future weeks.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.