Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: I have 2 questions for now, hope someone can clarify this. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
optimus pride
msg tools
Question #1
When I am attacking multiple enemies at the same time, and i decided to use one massive attack to them, but 2 or more of them have fortified effects under their armor, are they considered as DOUBLE FORTIFIED?

Question #2
This is about hand limits, i know this is a noob question but i just wanted to confirm, if I am on level 1-2 (5 hand card limit) and i ended my turn holding 6 or more, i discard 1 or more to maintain the 5 hand card limit right? but when I plunder a village during someones turn, I draw 2 cards and my hand will become 7, so meaning I'll start my next turn with 7 cards in total, and that totally fine right?

My gaming group loves the game, and we played twice already, but theres a lot more to learn and more questions will come up soon. Thanks guys!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TeleVezeOn
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OPTiMUSPRiDE wrote:
Question #1
When I am attacking multiple enemies at the same time, and i decided to use one massive attack to them, but 2 or more of them have fortified effects under their armor, are they considered as DOUBLE FORTIFIED?

Question #2
This is about hand limits, i know this is a noob question but i just wanted to confirm, if I am on level 1-2 (5 hand card limit) and i ended my turn holding 6 or more, i discard 1 or more to maintain the 5 hand card limit right? but when I plunder a village during someones turn, I draw 2 cards and my hand will become 7, so meaning I'll start my next turn with 7 cards in total, and that totally fine right?

My gaming group loves the game, and we played twice already, but theres a lot more to learn and more questions will come up soon. Thanks guys!


1. No, fortified means that you can attack them in the first phase of combat ONLY with siege attacks. If, for example, start a combat to a fortified place and the enemy/ enemies owns the fortified ability, this means that you can't attack them at all in the siege/ range attack phase, so this is the double fortified ability.

2. Yes! it's really important to remember many of the effects in the game and when they take place, such as mine, plunder, the time that you earn cards, etc.

Mage Knight is an awesome game! Needs time and devotion but it fully worth it. Enjoy the trip!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian P
msg tools
No and no.

#1: The phrase double fortified refers to a token with the printed fortification icon, which also defends a fortified site. (In the LL expansion there are also walls.) So if the two enemies come from some unfortified site such as a ruin, you are free to use siege attacks.

#2: Hand limit is a misleading term - perhaps think of it as your default hand size. If it says 5, then:

during the end of your turn, if you have less than 5 cards in hand you draw until you have 5;

if, during a combat phase, you take 5 or more wounds to hand, you are knocked out meaning that you must discard all non-wound cards from your hand. *

That's it.

Edit: Since you have played twice, I think you have sufficient experience to read through the rulebook (the one which is not the walkthrough). Brew a cup of tea and take your time reading it from beginning to end. It will clarify many questions you didn't know you had.

Another edit: * Suppose you enter a ruin which turns out to be more difficult than you thought, and you take 10 wounds to hand with a hand size of 5. Then you discard all non-wound cards in hand, so you will only have 10 wounds. Unless you have some special circumstances (a skill, village, tactic...) your next six turns will consist of doing a slow recovery: discarding one of your many wounds.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Burning wrote:
#2: Hand limit is a misleading term - perhaps think of it as your default hand size.


Yes. It actually never limits anything.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
optimus pride
msg tools
grasa_total wrote:
Burning wrote:
#2: Hand limit is a misleading term - perhaps think of it as your default hand size.


Yes. It actually never limits anything.


Ok, so meaning it doesn't matter how many cards I have on my hands at the end of my turn, I just need make sure its not going to go below 5 cards (lvl 1-2).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
optimus pride
msg tools
Burning wrote:
#2: Hand limit is a misleading term - perhaps think of it as your default hand size.


Ok, so meaning it doesn't matter how many cards I have on my hands at the end of my turn, I just need make sure its not going to go below 5 cards (lvl 1-2).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You're correct on your new interpretation. You draw until you have 5 cards, but never discard down to 5 cards if you have more
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
optimus pride
msg tools
Thank you so much Constantijn Vezestentzis, Sebastian P, Alison Mandible, and Iain! This 2 question was answered fantastically! I'll update this thread in-case I'll come up with something new.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OPTiMUSPRiDE wrote:
Question #1
When I am attacking multiple enemies at the same time, and i decided to use one massive attack to them, but 2 or more of them have fortified effects under their armor, are they considered as DOUBLE FORTIFIED?



wait if U make a whole group all enemies of this group share resistance and attributes.
so all the group is fortified
U have to split the group

page 8
Quote:

If some of the enemies are fortified and some are not, you may want to deal with the unfortified ones with a separate attack (so you can use your Ranged Attacks).
b. If some enemies have certain resistances and some not, you may want to deal with them with separate attacks, as the presence of a resistant enemy halves the value of all Attacks
of the type it is resistant to.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UtterMarcus wrote:
OPTiMUSPRiDE wrote:
Question #1
When I am attacking multiple enemies at the same time, and i decided to use one massive attack to them, but 2 or more of them have fortified effects under their armor, are they considered as DOUBLE FORTIFIED?



wait if U make a whole group all enemies of this group share resistance and attributes.
so all the group is fortified
U have to split the group

page 8
Quote:

If some of the enemies are fortified and some are not, you may want to deal with the unfortified ones with a separate attack (so you can use your Ranged Attacks).
b. If some enemies have certain resistances and some not, you may want to deal with them with separate attacks, as the presence of a resistant enemy halves the value of all Attacks
of the type it is resistant to.


The group is fortified yes, but his question was if TWO enemies are fortified do they add together to make them double fortified - which they do NOT.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.