Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Devourer of Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow users to enter their own estimated playing time for a game and allow them to search for games based on their own entry.

Would also recommend displaying the median entry for player's estimates as average could be skewed wildly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For my own purposes, I'd probably have the time include set up and tear down. That way if I have exactly 2 hours to get through a game, I can then make use of the game search to find on that will work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Some past threads on this with discussion of possible interest:

Vote for Playing Time
Community poll for "Playing Time"

and some more at col_w's excellent compendium of frequent suggestions:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/49264/item/1122846#item11...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abrocker wrote:
That way if I have exactly 2 hours to get through a game, I can then make use of the game search to find on that will work.

Surely a number could be developed but is it meaningful ? My own belief would be that precision like that is not a practical expectation.

abrocker wrote:
For my own purposes, I'd probably have the time include set up and tear down.

And whether or not others carefully followed that kind of definition is an example of how the overall results would get uselessly distorted anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kreutzer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but the consensus of the crowds/wisdom of the wiki might give robust figures over time. One of the old rules of computing was GIGO. But the new wisdom is that crowd-sourced info beats scientific polling...

That user generated number could be compared to the published "Estimated playing time: 90-120 minutes!"
The resulting variance could be called a new factor, Di.
As in, "Di = +75.3" (users' estimated playing time minus publisher's estimate).
=D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abrocker wrote:
Allow users to enter their own estimated playing time for a game and allow them to search for games based on their own entry.

Would also recommend displaying the median entry for player's estimates as average could be skewed wildly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
abrocker wrote:

Yup. Didn't realize so many people had already requested this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kreutzer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
abrocker wrote:

[beating-dead-horse-picture-beathorse.gif]

That really hits home...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.