MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...appears to have voted for statehood

I would say "this should be interesting" but watching the GOP come up with a litany of reasons why it shouldn't be admitted as a state really isn't that interesting, to be honest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:

I would say "this should be interesting" but watching the GOP come up with a litany of reasons why it shouldn't be admitted as a state really isn't that interesting, to be honest

Money on whether anyone will give the *real* reason?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leland Pike
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:

...reasons why it shouldn't be admitted as a state...

http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21721670...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leland Pike
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
mightygodking wrote:

Because they won't be able to find a predominately 'red' territory to pair it with for statehood (to maintain the red-blue state balance).

PS: Besides, it'll mess up the way the American flag looks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Republicans can be competitive with Latino voters. They just need to stop pandering to the lunatic anti-immigrant fringe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leland Pike
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikePustilnik wrote:
Republicans can be competitive with Latino voters. They just need to stop start pandering to the lunatic anti pro-illegal-immigrant fringe.

FTFY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lelandpike wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leland Pike
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
lelandpike wrote:

Not that bad. But for a 51-star pattern I would prefer this:

But I still say the odds of us ever adding just one state (at a time) to the Union are slim to none.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
lelandpike wrote:
MikePustilnik wrote:
Republicans can be competitive with Latino voters. They just need to stop start pandering to the lunatic anti pro-illegal-immigrant fringe.

FTFY

Sounds like you must believe 3 million illegals voted, because your Dear Leader would never tell a lie to soothe his fragile ego.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
lelandpike wrote:

But I still say the odds of us ever adding just one state (at a time) to the Union are slim to none.

Well, DC voted for statehood, so there's 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
lelandpike wrote:

I am hoping for Guam just so I have an excuse to say "Guam" a lot in the near future.

Guam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

I am hoping for Guam just so I have an excuse to say "Guam" a lot in the near future.

Guam.

If this happens I will be pronouncing it Gooaahm and insisting that is the correct way to say it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lelandpike wrote:
MikePustilnik wrote:

FTFY

What an ignorant and offensive statement. In fact many Hispanic Americans are against illegal immigration. Don't assume everyone is as unscrupulously tribal as yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leland Pike
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:
lelandpike wrote:
MikePustilnik wrote:

FTFY

What an ignorant and offensive statement. In fact many Hispanic Americans are against illegal immigration...

Yeah. You could describe about half my relatives and ancestors that way.

But in fact most of the ancestors (on that side of my family) would actually have thought of themselves as Hispanos. Not Hispanic, not Latino, not Mexican (not even when they were still supposedly under the jurisdiction of the Viceroyalty of New Spain) and certainly not Chicano. Hispano.

And even the discrimination they often suffered as Americans was not enough to make them want to ever see their descendants come under Mexico's rule again. That's why we are all so adamantly against allowing unfettered illegal immigration to continue. (As all who live here should be. Even those who came here illegally, in fact. It won't do much for them - or their progeny - if America ends up becoming like the place they fled from, after all.)

So maybe that makes two of us who should not assume too much. (Or maybe just one of us should take the text in front of him at face value, and avoid reading anything into it..)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leland Pike
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
lelandpike wrote:
MikePustilnik wrote:

FTFY

Sounds like you must believe 3 million illegals voted, because your Dear Leader would never tell a lie to soothe his fragile ego.

What 'dear leader' are you talking about? Have you read much of what I think of Trump? (Hint: Even the possibility of Hillary moving into the Whitehouse could not motivate me to vote him. Admittedly he hasn't done as badly as I thought he would. On the other hand, that's mostly because he's hardly done much at all...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leland Pike
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
lelandpike wrote:

Guam.

You'd get to say Guamanian, too. One of my roomies in the Army was from Guam. He identified himself as Guamanian.

Guamanian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
lelandpike wrote:

What 'dear leader' are you talking about? Have you read much of what I think of Trump? (Hint: Even the possibility of Hillary moving into the Whitehouse could not motivate me to vote him. Admittedly he hasn't done as badly as I thought he would. On the other hand, that's mostly because he's hardly done much at all...)

(bold mine)

Your expectations must have been EPIC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
windsagio wrote:
mightygodking wrote:

The political parties in PR are against statehood, and encouraged a boycott of the vote that seems to have been very successful?

Wikipedia claims the PNP with 47% of the vote are in favour of statehood. So it seems you remark is not true. It would be fairer to say that the people not in favour organised a boycott. This is always a problem with referenda as the percentage required is always a problem. [see our Brexit where a minority have secured a major change to the status of our country]
But I agree with you that it is far too small a result to change anything, just as Brexit was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
windsagio wrote:
mightygodking wrote:

(cough, cough) brown non-English speakers (cough, cough)

I'd love for Puerto Rico to become the 51st state. It would drive the pols batty having to deal with a state full of Hispanic Spanish-speakers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.