Subject: Noriko's Bleeding Edge and Deactivating Abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rock Bronson

Kansas City
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noriko Nagare's Pilot ability Bleeding Edge is probably one of the scariest abilities in the game, to me. It's versatility even on the opponent's turn even allowing counters without spirit to speak of, or fueling a rush strat is very Noriko. She's tricksy and aggressive, and I love that about her.

I had previously read "abilities" to mean Robot abilities, since there is no way to "activate" a pilot ability. But the term Ability is used for both, and I didn't see a definition in the glossary marking a distinction.

Can a card which deactivates abilities deactivate pilot abilities? The definition of "Deactivated" implies not, I just want to double check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hammerschlag
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
IRON FUSION OVERKILL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Deactivated keyword doesn't affect Pilot Abilities:

DEACTIVATED: When a Robot Ability with the Activated keyword has its Power Tokens removed, its effects are stopped and it is considered Deactivated.

When a card with the Activated keyword is unsuccessfully used, it enters into your Cooldown Meter turned at 90 degrees, its effects are not in play, and it is considered Deactivated.

PP.5 (E:2), PP.4 (E:2), PP.7 (E:6:IX), PP.9 (G)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Bronson

Kansas City
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So as far as building goes, one benefit of Robot abilities with no power investment cost is that they cannot be deactivated. They're usually less powerful, but you can count on them.

That's why Bleeding edge is one of my favorite Pilot abilities. Has it always been as broad as it is? There are many great abilities in the game, but most are more provisional. The temptation to overextend yourself has been really fun in our Tabletopia games, but I was pleased to see that you can't snowball your FS gain into a win easily. Rage, Range, and Die rolls prevent the likelihood of a rushed win, even though her FS generation curve has more early potential and is essentially uncounterable, unlike Takashi's FS gain and Discount tricks through pilot cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cheng
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was the first of Noriko's abilities that we designed, and it hasn't ever changed. The temptation has always been a key part of it. We did have to alter other cards to work within the framing of Bleeding Edge, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.