Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noneya Bidness
United States
Middletown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm looking for a game that captures the feel of movies like King Solomon's Mines, Congo, or Raiders. Anything like that out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Source of the Nile is your answer. whistle

Unfortunately it is OOP.

Perhaps a PnP: Terra Incognita

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Livingstone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel H.
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I just bought a game about economics so that's my financial planning done.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game and its many expansions may scratch some of those particular itches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will S
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you would like Tikal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Schenectady
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac
The Adventurers: The Pyramid of Horus
Secrets of the Lost Tomb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
will98683 wrote:
Maybe you would like Tikal.

Or, the more zany Tikal II: The Lost Temple. (I really enjoy Tikal. But not sure it captures that cinematic feel).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the lost world theme, Dinosaurs of the Lost World. Out of print, but there are copies around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Escape from 100 Million B.C. might work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noneya Bidness
United States
Middletown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Source of the Nile looks awesome but not sure I could get anyone to play it. Terra Incognita looks good as well but never dealt with print and play. Is it a hasel or fairly easy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Lightstorm wrote:

this is the first thing i thought of from the thread title also. worth a look at least, though its more pulp sci fi than pulp indiana jones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanos007 wrote:
Source of the Nile looks awesome but not sure I could get anyone to play it. Terra Incognita looks good as well but never dealt with print and play. Is it a hasel or fairly easy?

On Terra Incognita: The bigger parts are easy to cut. There are a lot of smaller counters to cut. Unless you have enough alternatives to replace those and being it your first attempt to PnP, then this is a medium heavy built, IIRC (should check my notes on that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noneya Bidness
United States
Middletown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Graceless wrote:
Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game and its many expansions may scratch some of those particular itches.

This looks loaded with theme but looks a little random. For the price I'd like to play it a few times before buying it. If it were 50, 60 bucks, I'd scoop it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am eagerly waiting to play these that might interest you...

The Lost Expedition and Near and Far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Tikal. Fantastic game.

Maybe also Archipelago? It has exploration as a large part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archaeology: The New Expedition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kreutzer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The worst: Lost Cities card game. It's a card game. With lost city pictures on the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good thread. I'd like to try The Lost Expedition.

ftstevens wrote:
The worst: Lost Cities card game. It's a card game. With lost city pictures on the cards.

Not true, it says right on the box (the old box) that it's a "daring adventure for two" so it must be! Hah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ftstevens wrote:

"The worst" is not fair. It's a classic game. However, it's themeless and doesn't capture anything.

Btw... Two more games I'd like to play: Lost Valley: The Yukon Goldrush 1896 (Tom Vasel approves it) and The Goonies: Adventure Card Game (Rahdo raves about).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noneya Bidness
United States
Middletown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TimTix wrote:
I am eagerly waiting to play these that might interest you...

The Lost Expedition and Near and Far

Had already checked out Last Expedition. Looks good but a little lacking in theme. I plan on getting it anyway. Near and Far sounded good until it got to the story book. I dunno. Something about that turned me off. But I never really know until I play something if I really like it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanos007 wrote:
Had already checked out Last Expedition. Looks good but a little lacking in theme. I plan on getting it anyway.

The Dice Tower's Zee Garcia said one needs to get the story going in one's imagination. I believe that's possible. The artwork is there. (Still waiting for the game to arrive.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Boutwell
United States
Dayton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would most certainly second Tikal but would also consider Costa Rica which while it doesn't deal with gold or jewels, really is an enjoyable exploration game. Or what about Diamant for that Indiana Jones feel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
Little Englander
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal is amongst my top 10 all time but wouldn't really call it exploration. I suppose it depends on personal definition.
I played Source of the Nile years ago and remember being surprised how logical a random map could be. Might be too fiddly for Eurogamers though.

I too am interested in finding a game along the exploration theme but have difficulty in really knowing how to define what I mean even to myself. I think I am thinking something along the lines of Tikal with semi-random map making in the search of the unknown. Lost cities, hidden temples and such - but not like Tikal. erm ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noneya Bidness
United States
Middletown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
anijunk wrote:
Source of the Nile is your answer. whistle

Unfortunately it is OOP.

Perhaps a PnP: Terra Incognita

Man! I gotta really thank you for putting me on to Source of the Nile. That game rocks. Very excited. Couple of copies on Ebay that I'm eyeing up and downloaded the Vassel module last night. Very excited to play. The fantasy variant? Get outta town! That thing is amazing! Why has no one reprinted this?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe The 7th Continent? Hard to say since it hasn't gotten to KS backers yet, and may be hard to track down if you weren't a backer, but the theme is exploring a lost continent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.