United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

SUPERHOT box cover (image by wakasm)

In 2001, Remedy Entertainment released a first-person shooter that incorporated a feature called “bullet-time.” This gameplay element mimicked the time-slow featured in the Matrix movies. In Max Payne, a player could only enter “bullet-time” mode when a “bullet-time” meter was full and this meter emptied when used. I haven’t played Max Payne in a while, but I remember that this gameplay element was more than a gimmick. It was incorporated into the story and essential to playing the game well. What if there was a game where you were always in “bullet-time”? Where time moved only when you did, or moved extremely slowly if you stand still. Enter SUPERHOT, the FPS where

"Time Moves Only When You Move" or extreemly slowly when you stand still (image by wizcreations)

Share with your friends...(image by wizcreations)

It is as near as a turn-based first person shooter that exists, but is that a good thing? Is it the most inventive shooter I have ever played?

The opening screen. (image by wizcreations)

SUPERHOT does have a story. I won’t spoil it. Or at least try not to spoil it. The game starts out with you chatting with some friend about a new game hidden in some corporation’s server. He sends you the files and you can enter the game.

Each level consists of a set number of bad dudes who come at you with melee weapons such as bats, tire irons, or a katana. Then they upgrade to projectile weapons starting with a pistol, moving to a shotgun and then an assault rifle. Defeat the bad dudes without dying and you move to the next level.

The level design is very clear - the environment is bluish white, items you can pick up and use are black, and bad dudes are red. If you hit an enemy with a fist, melee item or other thrown object they will drop their weapon. You can grab that right out of the air and use it.

A gun that has been dropped will fly into the air where you can catch and use it. (image by wizcreations)

There are some tricks around projectile weapons. After you shoot, there is a short period where the next round is chambered and you cannot shoot again. Since time moves slowly, you need to be in evasive mode after you shoot. When you pick-up a weapon it is immediately ready to go. Finally, ammo in each projectile weapon is limited to four or five shots. No reloading.

Dodge those bullets or die. (image by wizcreations)

So, does the turn-based nature of the game work? Yes and no. The AI is fully aware of your presence and always locks onto where you are - 100% of the time. There is no sneaking in this one. These factors turn the first-person shooter game into a pure puzzle game, especially the later levels. Through trial and error (dying and restarting) along with some luck you will need to best assess the order that threats must be neutralized. When to grab the bottle and whack an enemy. When to throw weapons, even if not expended. When to run jigging left and right to avoid enemy fire.

If you go into the game with the expectation that this is a puzzle game, you should enjoy your experience. I had fun with the game. I only explored the story mode and didn’t play any of the challenges or endless mode. I may reexam those at some point, but don’t feel compelled to do that. The asking price, ~US$25, seems steep for a 2-3 hour campaign. But your milage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This game has my name all over it! Well, that's not entirely true, but this review has my name all over it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Flaherty
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
This game has my name all over it! Well, that's not entirely true, but this review has my name all over it!

Yes, thank you for posting great images for the game. Saves me having to go and collect them all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.