Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read this excellent review of Trax and in that game, if you create a certain situation, your opponent must play in that specific spot.
I'm wondering if there are other games where you can create a situation where your opponents must then do something specific. Not by neccesity of not losing, but by rules.
The rules of Chess regarding checks are kind of another example.
Santorini has a must move and must play rule, so you can create situation where your opponents options are very limited, but I'm looking for something more specific, even more limiting.
I'm not just looking for abstracts, but any game, but it's probably mostly abstracts that have this.

Thanks for all your ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Checkers, there is a forced capture rule:
Quote:
If a player is able to make a capture, there is no option -- the jump must be made. If more than one capture is available, the player is free to choose whichever he or she prefers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely check out ZÈRTZ. Think checkers on a perpetually shrinking board where you don't control specific pieces, that'll get you vaguely in the neighborhood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In Longhorn, your ending location is your opponent's start location, where he must pick up all the cows of one color. If there are only cows of one color left, it forces him to take those.

In Niya, there are tiles with two different types of symbols on them, and when you play on a tile's space, that dictates that your opponent has to choose one of those two symbols for his next placement. You can therefore manipulate your opponent by forcing him onto the only symbol left of that type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Two key rules from The Rose King:

- if you have a legal move, you must make it
- you have a small number of hero cards that allow you special moves

A key strategy is setting thing up so your opponents only legal move wastes a precious hero card.

Great game, if you don't mind abstracts with the thinnest of tacked on theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah_Pook wrote:
Definitely check out ZÈRTZ. Think checkers on a perpetually shrinking board where you don't control specific pieces, that'll get you vaguely in the neighborhood.

I don't yet see how being forced to capture would be disadvantageous. Maybe you can set up your opponent for a capture worth more?

lampeter wrote:
In Longhorn, your ending location is your opponent's start location, where he must pick up all the cows of one color. If there are only cows of one color left, it forces him to take those.

In Niya, there are tiles with two different types of symbols on them, and when you play on a tile's space, that dictates that your opponent has to choose one of those two symbols for his next placement. You can therefore manipulate your opponent by forcing him onto the only symbol left of that type.

I played Niya and it's all about this, great suggestion! Longhorn sounds interesting too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
The gist of zertz is setting up your opponent to force moves that then allow you to win without them being able to stop you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would a "I pick, you choose" type of game qualify? Kind of where a player groups things together, and then another player has to pick a group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I believe a decent number of dueling games incorporate this mechanic. They are normally called Control decks and I imagine those who love messing with the other player love them. Magic and Dice Masters being two examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kansiewicz
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tantrix

First place any forced placement tiles, then place any tile of your choice, then place any forced placement tiles.

Granted you don't have the same degree of control over your opponent's choice in this one as you do in other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Othello is another classic abstract that includes this mechanism. Towards the end of a game, a good player can force several moves in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is a common tactic in trick taking games. Players are often forced to follow the led suit and to playing a higher card if they have one. An opponent can use this to force the player to play a card they didn't want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wallwaster wrote:
Ah_Pook wrote:

I don't yet see how being forced to capture would be disadvantageous. Maybe you can set up your opponent for a capture worth more?

You should definitely check out Zertz on boardspace.net.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Sundt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
www.fictionontheweb.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mijnlieff - where you can play on the board is dictated by the symbol on the last piece played. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised noone has mentioned Kamisado yet, where the color of the square you end on dictates which piece your opponent has to move next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Would a "I pick, you choose" type of game qualify? Kind of where a player groups things together, and then another player has to pick a group.

MK99 wrote:
This is a common tactic in trick taking games. Players are often forced to follow the led suit and to playing a higher card if they have one. An opponent can use this to force the player to play a card they didn't want to.

Both mechanisms are great ideas for this topic!

Jauron wrote:
I believe a decent number of dueling games incorporate this mechanic. They are normally called Control decks and I imagine those who love messing with the other player love them. Magic and Dice Masters being two examples.

I'm not really into MTG but in other MTG clones I mostly saw discards and reaction cards as part of control decks. Are there a significant number of cards that tells your opponenet what to do? Are there decks built around these cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders Duel starts each round with a fixed arrangement card tableau with some cards partially covering other cards (much like some versions of classic solitaire). In order to take a card it must not be overlapped by any others. It's possible to draw cards such that there is only one option for your opponent on their turn.

Fortunately, there are multiple things you can do with those cards, so it doesn't put you in too much of a hole if you are put in that situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MK99 wrote:
This is a common tactic in trick taking games.

The Last Card has one the morst extreme versions of this I've cme across. As well as the usual "must follow suit" you also must play a higher card if you have one even if you can't follow suit or trump and are thus going to lose the trick. You also must trump if you can't follow suit.

Potato Man is a track taking game which inverts the usual rules - rather than following suite you may not play a suit that has already been played in the trick.

There are also climbing games such as Tichu, Clubs, Haggis where you must play the same combination of cards that was led (e.g. 4 of a kind, a run of 4) or pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Backgammon "checkers placed on the bar must re-enter the game through the opponent's home board before any other move can be made."

Ultimate Tic-Tac-Toe each move limits your opponent's moves, it is possible for them to be limited to a single move. Confusingly Wikipedia has a seemly different Ultimate tic-tac-toe listed - the goal is different but the possibility of forced moves is present in both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pent-Up is based entirely around a forced-move rule (you must play as high up as possible). It's fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
wallwaster wrote:
matthean wrote:

MK99 wrote:

Both mechanisms are great ideas for this topic!

Jauron wrote:

I'm not really into MTG but in other MTG clones I mostly saw discards and reaction cards as part of control decks. Are there a significant number of cards that tells your opponenet what to do? Are there decks built around these cards?

In Dice Masters, some examples:

Force your opponent to attack with character X.
Force your opponent to block with character X.
Make certain characters unable to block.
Change who the defending players is blocking.
Mute (remove text from)a character (this one is probably borderline for what you are asking)
Force a character to stay in the graveyard.
Spin up or down an opponents character
Force an opponents character to swap with another character of your choosing. (Take a beat stick and force them to replace it with a few less powerful one)

Those are off the top of my head. There were some nasty things you could do to the other player and they had no say in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jauron wrote:
(...)

Oh I forgot about those effects. Great point! Does Magic have cards/effects like this? Any other game you can think of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I hear Russian Roulette is all about forced play: your options for play are limited to 1 action and passing on your turn is generally against the rules.

On a serious note, +1 on Zertz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Crane
United States
Sherman Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
wallwaster wrote:
Jauron wrote:
(...)

Oh I forgot about those effects. Great point! Does Magic have cards/effects like this? Any other game you can think of?

The X-Wing miniatures game has some effects like this.

A ship can be ionized, which means that it must perform a straight 1 move (very slow and straight forward) on the following turn.

Biggs Darklighter's ability is that your opponent must attack him over any of his wingmates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another obvious one is the older editions of RoboRally where enough damage will lock the movement cards in some programming slots so you cannot replace them with new cards. You do have the option of shutting down to remove damage, though, but that takes your entire turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.