Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Oaxaca: Crafts of a Culture» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Rahdo Variant (for experienced players) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In his final thoughts video, Richard made some suggestions to change the game for more experienced players. We took his initial suggestion and expanded upon. To play his variant, make these changes:

Gathering: When you combine a die and another result to get a result of your choice, search that deck for a card you want and put it into your Workshop. Put the rest of the deck face-down in the same order.

Crafting: Using one die of the correct type allows you to work on up to two cards of that type in your workshop. When you combine a die with another result, you can craft all cards in your workshop of that type.

Note: This can be combined with the Non-Aggressive Variant.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne Dong
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Rahdo Variant (for experience players)
oooh, looking forward to watching his run through
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adrienned1 wrote:
oooh, looking forward to watching his run through

Thanks! It'll get posted tomorrow!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne Dong
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should post a link to this variant in the comments of his final thoughts on youtube, so people can see you took his advice.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea! Thank you Adrienne!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crane
United Kingdom
Sandbach
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any chance that this will make it into the final game rules? Seems sensible to add it
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MrVarnor wrote:
Is there any chance that this will make it into the final game rules? Seems sensible to add it

We are not sure right now because we're limited on space in the rulebook. Sadly, manufacturing costs often limit what we're able to do. And we're not about to put the font as size 6 or anything because that'd be too small.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Haskett
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Check out www.undinestudios.com!
badge
Oh, Taloon, do be careful!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll make sure it's in there!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
benHaskett wrote:
I'll make sure it's in there!

Yay! meeple
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We've tweaked the rules for gathering just a bit. It's simplified to just picking up the deck, looking for one card, putting it into your workshop and putting the deck back down in the same order.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernesto Pavan
msg tools
Avatar
I'm curious: why put the deck back down in the same order instead of reshuffling? Knowing which cards are going to come next seem a pretty big added bonus to me (of course, it may be intended, but still).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernesto Pavan
msg tools
Avatar
Also, wouldn't this variant make some types of craft much easier to work with than others? After all, there's exactly one way to get a 2 combining dice (1+1), but there are a lot of ways to get, say a 6 (3+3, 4+2, 5+1, 2+2+2, 1+2+3, etc.), which would make crafting 3 Tin items much easier than crafting 3 Pottery items.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ErnestoPavan wrote:
I'm curious: why put the deck back down in the same order instead of reshuffling? Knowing which cards are going to come next seem a pretty big added bonus to me (of course, it may be intended, but still).


That is an intended bonus.

When a player uses a Wild result, they only take the top card.
When a player uses an exact symbol, they look at 2 cards, taking 1.
When a player uses two dice, they look through the deck & take 1 card.

So the information is an added bonus to using two dice. Though it is still very minor of an effect because there is nothing they can do to the deck to change the order of cards in any circumstances.

ErnestoPavan wrote:
Also, wouldn't this variant make some types of craft much easier to work with than others? After all, there's exactly one way to get a 2 combining dice (1+1), but there are a lot of ways to get, say a 6 (3+3, 4+2, 5+1, 2+2+2, 1+2+3, etc.), which would make crafting 3 Tin items much easier than crafting 3 Pottery items.


Dice values are never added together and this is why the final game comes with custom dice with symbols rather than using pip dice.

In the final games, you will have symbols to represent each of the craft types with a star to represent Wild. When you combine two dice together, there is no value to add, you are simply choosing another symbol to be what you use for your action.

Hope this makes sense. The game does not rely on any math. There is no adding of numbers at all.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernesto Pavan
msg tools
Avatar
SilvaShado wrote:
ErnestoPavan wrote:
I'm curious: why put the deck back down in the same order instead of reshuffling? Knowing which cards are going to come next seem a pretty big added bonus to me (of course, it may be intended, but still).


That is an intended bonus.

When a player uses a Wild result, they only take the top card.
When a player uses an exact symbol, they look at 2 cards, taking 1.
When a player uses two dice, they look through the deck & take 1 card.

So the information is an added bonus to using two dice. Though it is still very minor of an effect because there is nothing they can do to the deck to change the order of cards in any circumstances.

ErnestoPavan wrote:
Also, wouldn't this variant make some types of craft much easier to work with than others? After all, there's exactly one way to get a 2 combining dice (1+1), but there are a lot of ways to get, say a 6 (3+3, 4+2, 5+1, 2+2+2, 1+2+3, etc.), which would make crafting 3 Tin items much easier than crafting 3 Pottery items.


Dice values are never added together and this is why the final game comes with custom dice with symbols rather than using pip dice.

In the final games, you will have symbols to represent each of the craft types with a star to represent Wild. When you combine two dice together, there is no value to add, you are simply choosing another symbol to be what you use for your action.

Hope this makes sense. The game does not rely on any math. There is no adding of numbers at all.


That makes a lot of sense. I apologize for my moment of dumbness. :-/

I have another question, though. Suppose that I end up rolling, say, three Tin symbols, and I have three Tin cards in my workshop. Wouldn't it be more efficient to use the Tin symbols separately than to combine them? Two Craft actions would result in a total of 4 tokens being removed from my cards (2 in the first action and 2 in the second), while combining two dice in one single action would remove only 3 (1 per card). Am I doing my math wrong here?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ErnestoPavan wrote:
That makes a lot of sense. I apologize for my moment of dumbness. :-/

I have another question, though. Suppose that I end up rolling, say, three Tin symbols, and I have three Tin cards in my workshop. Wouldn't it be more efficient to use the Tin symbols separately than to combine them? Two Craft actions would result in a total of 4 tokens being removed from my cards (2 in the first action and 2 in the second), while combining two dice in one single action would remove only 3 (1 per card). Am I doing my math wrong here?


No, not dumb questions at all since you haven't played the game. I totally understand having trouble wrapping your head around a game before actually playing it. It happens to me all the time.

As for your question, yes, in the case you present, doing two separate craft actions would be better to remove 4 cubes total.

This variant makes specializing a little less of a goal and makes it more possible to do variety. The combining of two results is more when you either have different things in your workshop or you have a die and another result to combine to work everything.

So in your example, it would be a better use to combine those dice not with each other, but with other results from cards. It's a kind of half step that is better in many cases, but not all.

Again, hope that makes sense, but let me know if it doesn't.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.