Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before we begin, we would like to point out that this thread is not meant for debating the merits of Kickstarter, or creating pointless arguments with other posters in this thread. Please stay on-topic and respectful to all posters in the thread. This is a news thread, and we will be happy to answer as many questions as possible, but please take unrelated or unsavoury posts elsewhere. Thank you.

Hello everyone,

We are finally able to start revealing some of what we have planned for the reprint of Container. We have not yet finalized every last detail (more on that in a minute), but we can talk about our general plans, and then update this thread as we move along.

First, you may wonder why there hasn't been an update in the past few weeks. The answer is simple: We're trying to do something very special since this will be the 10th Anniversary edition of Container. But at the moment this must remain a secret because the production costs of our idea are very high, and so far this has resulted in an unreasonable MSRP estimate for our customers that we want to improve upon without having to sacrifice our high production standards. So, as we continue to work on this idea we will hopefully have more to share very soon. You are welcome to guess what this idea might be, but for now we can neither confirm nor deny any guesses!

Here is what we can tell you about right now, and that is that there will be totally new add-on content included with the 10th Anniversary Edition! Right now the working title for this add-on is called "The Investment Bank", and it has received a very positive response in testing, even though the core elements of the content date back to 2007.

Let's talk about the Investment Bank in some detail, but before we begin, let's also mention that this content is designed as an add-on, so you can play with or without it at your choosing. In fact, you might enjoy playing both ways since the resulting economy behaves differently with and without the content.

"The Investment Bank" is a new board which sits alone in the ocean. This investment bank plays like an AI player. On this board there are three brokers/agents (we'll just call them "brokers" for now), and they have a small supply of cash and containers to start the game. They are looking to earn profits for the bank, and like a bank their efforts can be aided or hampered by the performance of the economy-at-large. Since Container is a "pure economy" which is determined by the collective actions of the players, the Investment Bank's progress can be very interesting to watch.

For one action, a player can call one of the brokers to arrange a deal. They make an offer of cash for some containers, or alternatively they make an offer of containers for cash, choosing any one of the six available boxes (three holding cash, three holding containers).

The deal is not final until the broker shops around for better prices (they're a broker, after all, and they seek maximum profits). When calling the broker, the player takes a broker deal card and then marks it with the offer they're making and also marks the box which holds the containers/cash they are seeking to purchase.

On a later player's turn, they can improve the offer by making a higher offer, and then they receive the broker's card. If the turn comes around to any player that starts their turn with the broker card already in front of them, their deal has been accepted and they receive the containers or cash in exchange for their bid. Their bid (containers or cash) is then equally distributed amongst the brokers at the bank, meaning each broker now has more to offer the next time around. The player then collects their purchased items - Cash goes right into their hands, and containers move to the dock at the Investment Bank ready for pickup by the player.

Only one such broker deal can be in play at any one time, so when and what to make a bid on can be a compelling decision.

What is more, any time a player purchases their own shipment, the government of the island makes an investment in the banking system, and distributes the cash to the three brokers. This helps to counteract a hyper-deflation scenario, though as with the original edition of the game, hyper-inflation and hyper-deflation are persistant threats to the health of the overall economy. Container is a game without a safety net, after all!

The Investment Banks is also responsible for lending to the players and they earn interest that way too.

The playing time is not extended with this add-on content, nor is the game complexity. Instead, this content offers players a different experience which will please even the most experienced Container player.

We hope you've enjoyed this first bit of news about Container. We'll pop by to answer questions from time to time, noting that circumstances may not allow us to answer each and every one. But we'll also have more updates for you as we prepare to officially launch the project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorrit Rensen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting! If you still need a test player that had the original game, please let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jlrensen wrote:
Sounds interesting! If you still need a test player that had the original game, please let me know!

Let us all know. I can see the volunteers lined all around the block now. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed! I have yet to play Container but this game has been at the top of my wishlist ever since I first learned about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Barrese
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, this is wonderful news, and I am very excited to get my hands on this enormously respected game! Secondly, care to address whether any or all of Second Shipment will be included, specifically the gold resource? Finally, I eagerly await news on the unannounced secret, and look forward to Container arriving on Kickstarter whenever its ship sails in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tecmagus wrote:
... Secondly, care to confirm that Second Shipment will indeed become a "first shipment" inspansion? This seemed to be the news from over at Heavy Cardboard, but confirmation by the publisher would be appreciated. ...

Are you able to point me towards where that was stated/posted? Just so I understand the context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Claessens

Washington
msg tools
Exciting news! This game has been on my wishlist forever as well
Does this mean that there would a pledge level for a standard version and one for an anniversary version, or just the anniversary one only? And is there a target date to open the kickstarter campaign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Barrese
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:

Are you able to point me towards where that was stated/posted? Just so I understand the context.

I would love to, but I can't, because I think I made it up in my excitement. Consider my question corrected above to, Second Shipment, any or all of it? Specifically, luxury goods? As I refresh my memory on what was actually in Second Shipment, the Financier module looks kind of like the Investment Bank, come to think of it... Sorry for any confusion from my ill-posed question.

I mention the luxury goods in particular because, I believe, the forums have found that to be one of the best parts of Second Shipment, although at the moment I am completely doubting the veracity of my memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike2012Fun wrote:
Does this mean that there would a pledge level for a standard version and one for an anniversary version, or just the anniversary one only? And is there a target date to open the kickstarter campaign?

At this time, we expect there will only be one version on offer due to exceptionally high production values/costs. Our answer may change in the future, but for now, with such an expensive production cost the only way the project makes sense is to provide one version of the product (the anniversary edition).

Target date for the Kickstarter effort is "soon", though we hope to update that before too long. If you're okay with a non-binding guess, I'll say before the end of July.

We are also considering offering advance preorders via our website for those that want to obtain Early Bird pricing, but we're still awaiting final production costs before we decide on that plan. We'll definitely post here if that's going to be an option for our BGG friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Love
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
for those of us fortunate enough to already have a copy of Container, is there any chance that the "Investment Bank" add on will be a separate KS item so we can support the campaign?

Regards
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Jornet
Spain
Valencia
Comunidad Valenciana
flag msg tools
The sword is the mind. If the mind is right, the sword is right.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim Love wrote:
Hi,
for those of us fortunate enough to already have a copy of Container, is there any chance that the "Investment Bank" add on will be a separate KS item so we can support the campaign?

Regards
Tim

That's exactly what I was going to ask. It would be great, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't know KS-hate was such a problem. Would love to have a copy. Will keep 1,5 eye out for this ^^.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering the initial post to be a warning to the hobby that the price is going to be higher than many of us expect, even with the OP's announced search.

I certainly don't know what others expect; I'm thinking a cost greater than most large box EGG works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
What are you making the boats out of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Paterson
Canada
Halton Hills
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:

Please say Bakelite. Please say Bakelite.

I talked with Kevin several months back about their ideas for Container, and their ideas for the boats sounded pretty neat. They certainly aware of the attention that needs to be paid to those pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Denison
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:
Mike2012Fun wrote:

At this time, we expect there will only be one version on offer due to exceptionally high production values/costs. Our answer may change in the future, but for now, with such an expensive production cost the only way the project makes sense is to provide one version of the product (the anniversary edition).

Target date for the Kickstarter effort is "soon", though we hope to update that before too long. If you're okay with a non-binding guess, I'll say before the end of July.

We are also considering offering advance preorders via our website for those that want to obtain Early Bird pricing, but we're still awaiting final production costs before we decide on that plan. We'll definitely post here if that's going to be an option for our BGG friends.

Just checking on the early bird pricing thing. Is that going to be the same as the cost of the kickstarter? I have no issue backing a kickstarter pledge so that is not a problem but if someone can pre-order it later for less than what I pledged that would be annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Notmyrealname
Norway
flag msg tools
logopolys wrote:

Judging by OPs post about how expensive it'll be, I'm guessing the boats are made out of real boats.

I'm curious about what kind of MSRP-goals they are working towards. I'm sure I don't speak for everyone, but I'd probably be willing to pay $100 or so for a good quality reprint of the 2007 edition with similar components. However, I'm not sure what kind of components they could add that I'd be willing to pay extra for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd be willing to pay more for a special edition. Good game + good components = meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Paterson
Canada
Halton Hills
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conservator wrote:
[q="logopolys"]I'm curious about what kind of MSRP-goals they are working towards. I'm sure I don't speak for everyone, but I'd probably be willing to pay $100 or so for a good quality reprint of the 2007 edition with similar components. However, I'm not sure what kind of components they could add that I'd be willing to pay extra for.

I've not played the original, but I know that the boat components, while very cool and heavy, were made from a dental resin that easily broke. I suspect Mercury is keen on keeping the boats a high quality component, while trying to fix the problem of durability. $100 is a reasonable MSRP... but these days, deluxe games (like the Vital Lacerda EGG boxes) can go for $150-200. Some consumers may not mind that, but others may balk at it. People only have so much money to spend on boardgames, so we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Watson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of needing playtesters, I have never been asked to playtest anything but I would like to do that for the first time if given a chance. I have two FLGS in my town which I can easily gather the maximum number of players or close to that to playtest and report to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cautiously optimistic. I'm definitely willing to pay a decent sum for a very nice edition of the base game. I don't really care about the expansions as the base game is best as it is in my experience. I'd rather have the option to pay less for the base game minus the expansions. I'm sure I'll be in in any case as I've been waiting for this.

That new investor expansion seems fairly straight forward. I'm just not sure why everyone wouldn't play into it every single time but maybe I've misunderstood the description.

That being said I know of several people locally that love Container. We would have eager, experienced playtesters if you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Silent Geek wrote:
Speaking of needing playtesters, I have never been asked to playtest anything but I would like to do that for the first time if given a chance. I have two FLGS in my town which I can easily gather the maximum number of players or close to that to playtest and report to you.

For Alpha testing it's a lot of work and constant communication with the designer. Beta testing is way more laid back. I've done some play testing (2x alpha & 3x beta) and though I like it, it does consume a lot of your time.

Btw, Non-disclosure agreements (NDA) are pretty serious so knowing how to keep ones mouth shut is a must.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Goes to show, you don't ever know, Watch each card you play and play it slow..."
badge
Charles Stoddart (artwork from Pax Pamir 2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Silent Geek wrote:

For Alpha testing it's a lot of work and constant communication with the designer. Beta testing is way more laid back. I've done some play testing (2x alpha & 3x beta) and though I like it, it does consume a lot of your time.

Btw, Non-disclosure agreements (NDA) are pretty serious so knowing how to keep ones mouth shut is a must.

All of this, and cram it into a defined time frame for release adds another layer on top (in my experience). Playtesting is a slight misnomer in my book; it should be called worktesting if you intend to do it well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Watson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Silent Geek wrote:

Thanks, I am good with the non-disclosure agreements and I think I would start with beta testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Silent Geek wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Silent Geek wrote:

Thanks, I am good with the non-disclosure agreements and I think I would start with beta testing.

I had never thought about being a play tester but out of the blue one day this time last year a guy contacted me here on BGG and asked to be an Alpha tester for an FFG product. I was like, WOW! Alpha testing!? Surrrrrre!
LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [39] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.