9 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Help with list for first tournement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dorian Herman
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi I am looking for some help deciding what to play at my first tournament. It is either Darth Vader and 3 named TIEs or Chewy in Falcon and Wedge. I am not sure which is better for computation. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also it is these options because these are the only ships I own. Thank you for your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matej Gába
Slovakia
Marianka
flag msg tools
badge
Project: ELITE - the greatest realtime gaming experience of all times!
mbmbmbmbmb
Standard TIEs are really squishy. Have you considered this? With 3 hull even a Range 3 salvo can easily blow them up. I think the other list is less volatile.

Speaking of this, do you have TIE Advanced title for Vader?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Herman
Canada
flag msg tools
Here are the complete lists. Unfortunately I don't have the "TIE Advanced" title card yet. Good point about being squishy

TIE ELITE

100 points

39 points
Darth Vader
TIE Advanced, Unique
During your "Perform Action" step, you may perform 2 actions.
Concussion Missiles (4)
Swarm Tactics (2)
Shield Upgrade (4)

22 points
“Mauler Mithel”
TIE Fighter, Unique
When attacking at Range 1, roll 1 additional attack die.
Veteran Instincts (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)

20 points
“Backstabber”
TIE Fighter, Unique
When attacking from outside the defender's firing arc, roll 1 additional attack die.
Engine Upgrade (4)

19 points
“Winged Gundark”
TIE Fighter, Unique
When attacking at Range 1, you may change 1 of your results to a result.
Shield Upgrade (4)

CHEWBACCA AND WEDGE
100 points

44 points
Wedge Antilles
X-Wing, Unique
When attacking, reduce the defender's agility value by 1 (to a minimum of 0)
R2-D2 (4)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Marksmanship (3)
Shield Upgrade (4)

56 points
Chewbacca
7 3 1 8 5
YT-1300, Unique
When you are dealt a faceup damage card, immediately flip it facedown (without resolving its ability).
Veteran Instincts (1)
Assault Missiles (5)
Luke Skywalker (7)
Millennium Falcon (Evade Version) (1)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cowlishaw
msg tools
If you don't have the TIE\x1 title or Advanced Targeting Computer cards, I'd avoid Vader - he's good but needs lots of upgrades to work.

A falcon plus x-wing would be pretty good, and you can make a squad with what you have.

You can make a decent han/biggs squad.

Han - Millenium Falcon, Veteran Instincts, Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca, Engine Upgrade, Concussion Missiles

Biggs - R2-D2, Shield Upgrade

(Biggs provides a meat shield for the first engagement, then break formation, boost and weave with Han to dodge attackers or evade as needed).

If people will let you borrow cards (most people are generally okay with that), then I might suggest:

Han - Millenium Falcon, Predator, Gunner, Hotshot Copilot, Engine Upgrade

Luke Skywalker - Predator, R2-D2, Vectored Thrusters

Han and Luke are rather more independent - Luke gets free rerolls on attack and free focus-to-evade on defence, whilst Han gets much more controllable rerolls on attack plus an 'extra shot' (but without Luke's ability) and some token-stripping ability. More importantly, both pilots can freely spend their actions on extra movement, which is nice in an ace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Herman
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am going to try out Han and Biggs and Chewy and Wedge against my buddy and see what feels better to me. I will update with how the practice goes and the tournament in two weeks goes.If there is any one who has any tips for a first timer at a local store tournament I would love to hear them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cowlishaw
msg tools
Quote:
If there is any one who has any tips for a first timer at a local store tournament I would love to hear them.

~ Pick your squad early and stick with it - getting 2-3 practice games with one squad will probably do you more good than experimenting with several.

~ If you've not played the game that much, stick with as simple a squad as possible - if you have a special rule you forget to use, you might as well not have bothered bringing it. Try to stick to as simple a squad as you can, because that reduces the mental effort of flying it (after three to four back-to-back competitive games, everyone's brains are cheese - and the guy who just brought four generic T-70s is often at an advantage as a result!)

~ Before the game even begins, figure out a plan. It doesn't need to be Wellington at Waterloo, but a basic strategy is something you should come up with and stick to unless it's clearly not working. Broadly speaking, look at your ships and your opponent's ships and ask:

- Who wins in a straight head-on 'joust' - if not you (and with a lot of points sunk into a unique, turret-carrying large ship, odds are it won't be) - you need to avoid a head-on pass by turning away and dragging the fight through or across the obstacles in the middle of the board. As a rule, if you see 4+ generic ships, or ships with cannons, torpedoes or missiles, a head on pass is better for them than you.

- Who is your critical first target. Biggs doesn't add too much firepower, but whilst people generally just think of him as a meat-shield, he's still an X-wing with a three-die primary, and in both lists you're likely to have a volley of ordnance in the first turn of combat. Generally, there is one ship in the enemy squad that you categorically cannot allow to live past turn 1; shield regenerating aces like Luke with R2-D2 or Poe with R5-P9 are bad, but so are some of the awesome support ships like "Howlrunner". Generally, the ship you should pick on first is the one which has a key 'buff' or 'debuff' ability, or the one which you'll struggle to kill with only a single ship firing at it.

~ Asteroids - obstacle setup is a tactical art you can find entire podcasts and articles on and one I'm far from qualified to explain. Broad brush version: If you have relatively few ships, on small bases, with good dials and boost/barrel roll (your suggested 3 TIE fighters and Vader, for example) then having the asteroids packed in at around range 1 of one another is good because you can duck and weave around them. If you have lousy dials (lambda shuttle, Y-wing, Hound's Tooth) and large bases, or a swarm of 6+ ships, you want them spread out so you've space to move through without doing red moves or clipping either the rocks or other friendly ships. When setting up the rocks, look at your opponent's squad and yours and decide if tight-packed rocks benefits you more or them more. This goes double where a few key upgrades which interact with obstacles are involved:
- Dash Rendar can fly over rocks without penalty, meaning he will invariably do better than you in a complex asteroid field
- Collision Detector/Primed Thrusters ships can barrel roll/boost across debris
- Trick Shot is a cheap elite pilot talent which gives bonus dice when shooting at a target behind cover
- Tractor tokens let you throw enemy ships around, so being in a narrow 'gap' when attacked by one is bad
- Rigged Cargo lets ships 'drop' a new obstacle as an action, blocking off narrow gaps between other obstacles
- Seismic Torpedoes are the reverse, letting ships blow an obstacle to pieces (and hurt you if you were in proximity to it).

~ Deploying a rock at just shy of range 2 from your board edge and the side means there's an area in one corner that your opponent can't then place a rock (because it can't be within range 1 of the rock you just placed, or within range 1 of the edge). This gives you a nice area to deploy in without having to move around rocks too early.

~ If in doubt, stay together - ships on their own can be pounced on and killed before their mates can get involved.

~ If you take Engine Upgrade Han, remember that no amount of evade tokens is as good as not being shot at in the first place. Unless facing a turret on the enemy side too, boosting out of arc is generally your best defence against attackers.

~ If you're not sure what to do, a good place to start with rebels is a speed 1 forwards; let the enemy rush ahead and show you what their plan is before you commit to one.

~ Generally set up on one side of the board or the other, where you have a clear channel to fly up, and you only have to worry about the enemy coming at you from one side.

~ Quick rules of thumb for guesstimating distances and manoeuvres:
- A 'hard turn' puts you on a line following your 90' front arc of fire
- A 'bank' puts you on a line following a line drawn between front left/back right (or vice versa) 'manoeuvre template nubs' on the base
- A speed 1 move with a small ship puts you 2 base lengths forwards (the speed of the move plus your own base length). Big ships are faster because they add 2 'small ship bases' width to every move rather than one - a big ship with engine upgrade is a nightmare to try and catch for this reason - speed 3 bank plus bank boost will leave any small based ship in the dust.
- 3 'speed' is enough to change a range bracket, 2 'speed' isn't. Remember that if you're closing with the enemy, add the speeds together (so things move faster than you expect, especially with big base ships).
- If a ship doesn't have boost or barrel roll, it can never get outside what was its own arc of fire before it moved. That means that if you (as a higher pilot skill pilot, like wedge) can park where they were, after they move, you 'know' you'll have a shot, regardless of what move they dial in (or at least they'd have to use actions to stop you).

~ Always, always set the dials for your ship's moves (and think about where your opponent is likely to go) in the order that they actually move. That way you're much less likely to forget the order and have someone fly into someone else, causing an action- and shot-denying car crash.

~ Where possible, deploy in sensible pilot skill formation - higher pilot skill pilots move last, so put them in the back rank and on the outside (board edge side) of the formation - that way the lower PS guys move first forwards and/or turning into the board, leaving a gap for the higher PS guys to fly into.

~ Never give up. It's surprising how often I've seen a ship reduced to a single pilot who has then apparently decided "right, then" and single-handedly annihilated most or all of the enemy squad.

~ After a game, try and figure out where you went wrong. Never blame the dice as a first resort - all right, yes, if you failed to roll a single hit on any of eight three-dice attacks then clearly you have offended the dice gods, but at the same time, it's more important to figure out why you didn't manage to have a target lock reroll (for example) for any of those attacks, because that's something you can control. Making mistakes is fine (and inevitable). Scary good X-wing players still make mistakes with new squads, but they don't make the same mistake twice. Every game has a lesson to take away, and defeats tend to teach better than wins. Don't be discouraged.

~ Have fun. That - far more than winning - is the point of this anyway.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Herman
Canada
flag msg tools
Thank you so much for all of your great advice. I am already implementing some of the tips in my casual games. Last night I got to try out Han and Biggs and thy were a ton of fun to fly. Unfortunately I lost to the Scum, didn't take out his autoblasters fast enough. It was fun to clear out all of his other ships first, bring it down to a one on one battle. Will keep practicing and update as I get ready for the tournament

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Herman
Canada
flag msg tools
My buddie and I had two practice games last night on my newly built XWing board (4x3 plywood). They were great. I lost a close one in the first match, bad initial set up by me put me in poor spot from get go. Then I won the second game, it came down to a one on one battle between Han and Boba, I got the rolls when I needed them. Overall feeling great about the tournament this Saturday. I will report back and tell how it went.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian Herman
Canada
flag msg tools
Thank you all for your help. The tournament was a blast. I played three matches, unfortunately I lost all 3 matches but came very close in my first and last match. Learned a lot, as in be carful who you go in range one of vs attacking from range three. Also had fun flying my list (Han and Biggs). Only bumped my own ships twice and didn't land on any asteroids! I was very happy about that. All in all a great day meeting new people and playing a game that I am really starting to enjoy a lot. There is a larger tournament in September that has two rounds. The first is a normal 100 point tournament the second is a 75 point with no unique pilots or any upgrades. This sounds lots of fun. I am looking at what lists I can put together and what I might want to purchase next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.