Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know about the company receivership variant from the Mayfair release, but I guess few players want to play a few hours more in receivership and beyond rescue.

I'm thinking a player elimination style bankruptcy. I think the biggest questions would be how it affects certification limit and what to do with that players certificates, especially presidents certificates. Also what happens with the trainless company, does it get the presidents money but no train?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure a player bankruptcy doesn't end 1846. But, I haven't seen it happen yet either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Pearce
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Something could be adapted from 1835's rules on that, would just need a bit of tweaking, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
I'm pretty sure a player bankruptcy doesn't end 1846. But, I haven't seen it happen yet either.

Right, the rules for 1846 only end the game when all players but one go bankrupt, and so it covers what happens to that player's money and shares. (See section 7 of the GMT rules.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Took a look at my 1846 rules, and trying to see how they would affect 1830.

1) Player bankrupts, his money raised goes into the railroad, certificates go into the bank. this might result in presidency change and the new president must now raise rest of the money for the train. This would be the only time more than 50% or the presidency certificates could go into the bank pool.

Can't really see much of a problem here. It will certainly change things, but can't see it break the game.

2) Certificate limit is unaffected.

This one I'm not sure about since there is one less player perhaps the cert limit should go up. but still this is simpler at least

3) If presidents cert is in the bank pool players can't sell in the railroad and if they ever own 20% they take the presidents cert.

Now this is ever really a problem when player owns 1 share. If they have 1 share they can't sell it and it slowly drops, might be a incentive to do something with the company, but they surely can only blame themselves for investing in a bad company with a bad director

4) If president share is in the bank pool it only runs routes if it has a train (which might only happen if someone puts a cheap train into the bank pool). If no train drop two steps, otherwise retain and drop like normal.

Biggest question here is if we should drop double the normal no dividend drop like in 1846. I think its ok and makes sense to drop bigger when no train rather than retaining.

So what might happen, I think it depends on a lot of factors. There is a good chance that another owner has 20% and then it ends on him to fix the problem. This could cause chain bankruptcy, while not very likely perhaps, might end the game anyway. This outcome I can't see being problematic.

What about when a railroad ends up being not owned. Someone might grab it for cheap if it has almost the money for new train. Otherwise it might continue to drop. I don't think railroads in 1830 ever close if they drop down enough, they start to look good again when they get to the colored zones, so it rarely happens.

While this might change the game somewhat it doesn't seem to break it.

Any experienced players see anything here that would completely break the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.