David Hoffman
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game is endlessly repetitive - call it a dungeon crawl, call it whatever you want. Place plastic zombies on the board, they have some variation but ultimately are repeats of the same thing. Kill some zombies and then fetch quest. Finish the fetch quests then win the game, don't kill enough zombies then you can't fetch and you can't win.

This is the best presentation of a Zombicide title I have played. It doesn't solve the core problem - every level, every 'scenario,' plays the same. You get an occasional piece of item flare that punctuates repetitive clearing of zombies as the game's arbitrary requirements that you get from A to B are completed.

The decision-making doesn't evolve, take the best weapon you have and kill some zombies with it. Don't get covered in zombies, watch out for that one zombie you have to kill with dragon-fire.

I politely played with friends that like the game. We went through multiple scenarios. The game is modestly fiddly, and they insisted on reading the flavor text. Good for them.

I never did anything special the entire game. Move, shoot, open door or break it, move, shoot, open door or break it. I let other people have all the fun of drawing zombie cards from a deck and placing zombies on the board.

Attack zombies: 1) Am I in range? Yes: can I move closer to my objective and stay in range? Yes: move closer to objective and kill some zombies.
2) Am I in range? Yes: can I move closer to my objective and stay in range? No: don't move and kill some zombies.
3) Am I in range? No: move closer to my objective if the zombies won't catch me in time. If the zombies will catch me, move towards zombies and kill some zombies.

Do you want to roll a bunch of dice and kill a bunch of zombies? Yes. Follow-up question: do you want to do much else? No. Go play Zombicide: Black Plague. Any other answers - don't play Zombicide: Black Plague.

It is perfectly alright to like, or even love this type of game. Be open and honest with people - ask if they want to roll dice a bunch of times and kill some zombies - if they don't then please don't ask them to play Zombicide: Black Plague. Don't claim you get to level your character and do interesting things - the only things you do are kill zombies. Ooh an extra die for killing zombies or killing zombies from farther away doesn't alter the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You make it sound like it's a bad thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I will agree that just the core experience could easily feel rinse-repeat, however, once wolves, murders of crows, dead eyes, additional necromancers, or even bosses are added, the tactics change dramatically.

Edit: Spelling, Grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will ask them next time if they insist on Z: BP that they use an expansion. But I have to review the game as it is, separate entries for the expansions, separate reviews. I will add a reference to them if it changes the substance of the dice rolling to kill a thing and then fetch quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have suggestions of what you would like to see? Maybe it is already addressed with a current expansion or with the current KS for future expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I love the game for what it is. There aren't many co-ops that I look forward to playing, but this one is on the shortlist and with everything mixed in, the experience is awesome. Of course, there are going to be quests that you should probably avoid, such as find X items from the Equipment deck - a bad draw and the game could drag on too long, but that's easily rectified by simply not playing those missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hoffcorp wrote:
I will ask them next time if they insist on Z: BP that they use an expansion. But I have to review the game as it is, separate entries for the expansions, separate reviews. I will add a reference to them if it changes the substance of the dice rolling to kill a thing and then fetch quest.

Very good point. I know a lot of people who LOVE zombicide, but may not even realize it's Zombicide with expansions that they love.

In the base game, with the 3 zombie types acting in a very similar pattern, you can really lock the board down with good use of the X spell (I forgot the name of it, but it pushes all zombies one space away).

But as you start adding new monsters, the simplistic tactics from the base game begin to change.

Murder of Crowz move 3 spaces OR attack, but they ignore walls and closed doors (they fly through windows is the thematic element). So now if you are hiding from zombies in order to search for items without leveling up, crowz change that.

Skeletal Archers can attack from 0-3 spaces. So you can find yourself pinned down and in need of flanking them to shut them down.

I haven't used the different Abominations (the Minotaur one smashes through walls to get to you faster, but the opening they create is now a hole zombies can walk through), nor the different Necromancers.

The fun, for my group, is than strategizing who does what in relation to the different movement the different types of enemies will conduct.

But base Zombicide? Yeah, you pretty much summed it up.

I would rate base Zombicide a 6, with Crowz and Archers an 8. May go higher as I bring in more diverse enemies.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Lo
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think the OP gives a fair assessment of the core game. I don't have any of the expansions, so I can't comment to those, but I enjoy the game for what it does. Also, I think it's a great gateway to other boardgames for casual gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I once had only the original core game of Zombicide and played it a lot solo. Endlessly, actually, because it, as a puzzle, was so interesting. Then, my friend and I started to play, a lot, and we both had great fun figuring out what to do together. Since those core game days, I've added more and more, including Black Plague, and we still have the same kind of fun as when we started. I guess some of us just like to suffer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray S
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
But isn't that what most "dungeon crawlers" are? Move, attack, search, level up, etc. I'm not disagreeing with the OP and love games like Z:BP, Arcadia Quest, Conan, Claustrophobia and Gloomhaven but for the most part they all take the attack and move portion of a rpg and then condense them to a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United Kingdom
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played a few missions yet, but I do miss the character progression over multiple missions. To start with the same basic weapons and build up from a limited pool makes it repetitive and slightly less exciting.

Having said that, I do love the game and look forward to more missions, expansions and hours of fun and zombie slaying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tunabrain wrote:
I only played a few missions yet, but I do miss the character progression over multiple missions. To start with the same basic weapons and build up from a limited pool makes it repetitive and slightly less exciting.

Having said that, I do love the game and look forward to more missions, expansions and hours of fun and zombie slaying

Sounds like you may like Massive Darkness. Same creators/publisher as Zombicide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Still suffers from being Zombicide"...I mean, that's what the game is..if it was something else then it wouldn't be Zombicide..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jones
Ireland
flag msg tools
hoffcorp wrote:
Place plastic zombies on the board, they have some variation but ultimately are repeats of the same thing. Kill some zombies and then fetch quest. Finish the fetch quests then win the game, don't kill enough zombies then you can't fetch and you can't win.

This feels meaninglessly reductive, any game reduced to these terms is going to sound terrible. Obviously you have no obligation to try and be a bit more objective, but theres just nothing useful from the reader to glean from such a summary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Willo
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One has to remember that this is a scenario sand box game. The experiences and challenges can be anything the scenario writers imagination can take you, way beyond the base experience if you dare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I rate what comes in the box. Some children have a great time playing with a stick, they can imagine it is the most enrapturing board game ever. The stick itself isn't worth your money.

The more responses I get about extrinsic factors, including expansions, are all an indictment of the core game experience. They should not have released such a defective product that it yearns for so much to be added to it. If I boil a pot of water and serve it as a stew you can give it a 0. I know you could add all sorts of ingredients and make it worthy of a Michelin star, but my boiled water isn't winning any awards. This game is boiled water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Streuner
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
"Cambot! Gypsy! Tom Servo! Crooooow!"
badge
“Look at me! I’m dancin’! I’m dancin’!” (Claptrap)
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there still player elimination? Does the game yet scale in difficulty depending on the number of players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought it and have played it 3-4 times. I get what the OP is saying 100%! The game is ... OK. I feel like if it didn't have the "knock off" characters it would have nowhere close to the fan base it appears to have. That being said, to being a new player/buyer up to speed you need to spend some $$ (on eBay no less) to get those characters since, they won't sell them outside of the 1 Kickstarter they were offered at no cost in. Yet the KS community screams and hollers they'll never support CMoN if they re-offered them for cash later. So, it's not REALLY about the gameplay in the community it seems, it's about the figures.

I'm a ZGH backer. It would not bother me at all a year from now for them to offer (for cash what I got 'free') the characters that they wouldn't be getting for probably another year when the next Zombicide game ships. But it would give CMoN more money and allow them to maybe put more game in the game. This isn't a tournament game. It's not a collectible mini game with rarity levels. It's a board game. If this is what makes the game fun then it should be, at least reasonably, offered later. I'd still have probably 2 years of exclusitivity and have to back the current KS and pay as addons to get past figures and keep them KS exclusives but oh well, at least it would be reasonable.

Once you spend serious cash on it by getting some of these guys, then what you are looking at is the gameplay. I'm ok spending the cash on a game... but the game better be there. Right now, I'm feeling like this is lacking there. It's fun running around as knock off Grail characters ... for so long. I'm not ready to write this off but man, I wish here were more play in this game.

I don't feel like I should have to buy expansions to bring the game up to a fun level. The base game should hold its own imo. The abominations only being able to be killed with 1-combo is so repetitive ... unless you buy the expansions. What does that show a new player about the games strategy exactly? With only 1 way to do something it really doesn't open itself up to tactics much. Hope you get that combo before he spawns, which you have no control over.

I'm not hating the game, but I'm not feeling blown away by it either and don't feel like I should have to buy another $50 expansion to make it "ok". I can't believe buying the Murder of Crows or the Wolves is going to turn this into a masterpiece of strategy either. And if it does then these things need to be available or don't sell the game outside of KS I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
I once had only the original core game of Zombicide and played it a lot solo. Endlessly, actually, because it, as a puzzle, was so interesting. Then, my friend and I started to play, a lot, and we both had great fun figuring out what to do together. Since those core game days, I've added more and more, including Black Plague, and we still have the same kind of fun as when we started. I guess some of us just like to suffer.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.