5 Posts

Attack!» Forums » General

Subject: Worth buying standard version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Turl
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi there....I like the look of this game. The deluxe version is on sale but is still double the price of the standard one. Is there rule issues with the standard version? Which version would you buy ? Thx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the way Eagle names and sells these games is confusing. It's important to note that the "Deluxe" Attack! is not a stand alone game, but actually an expansion to the base / standard game. Not sure where or what circumstances you're seeing the Deluxe game on sale, but it likely also says that you need the base game (buying just the "Deluxe" version by itself will not get you a playable game).

That said and out of the way, the consensus is (and my opinion too) that the base version of Attack! is a shell of a game and not really much without the Deluxe expansion. It's almost literally a half a game (really, less than half). The Deluxe expansion adds the Pacific theater AND all the Naval units. If you like land only units, and just the Atlantic theater, then the base game will be enough. If you want the worldwide theater and a full contingent of units you need the Deluxe version too.

Eagle really should have combined these years ago into a full game. I think the only reason they didn't is because they're sitting on a LOT of copies of the base game (reinforced by the fact that the Deluxe version has seen a reprint with a new box, but the base game that's still being sold is still the original).

TL;DR - buy the base AND the Deluxe version for the full game, the Deluxe is not a standalone but you kind need it for the "full" game experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has played quite a few games of "Attack!" and the consensus is we cannot recommend that anyone buy or play the base game by itself, you really do need both halves of the game map and the "extras" that come with the expansion to make it an enjoyable game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forsman
United States
Ely
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
couldn't agree more.. . it's less then half the game to game to only play with "Attack"... you NEED the Deluxe it add's so much... So VERY Much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Turl
msg tools
mbmbmb
But what about the issues with the rules in the new version of the "Deluxe" edition? (Its the new version I can buy). Ive read on BGG its a complete mess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.