Hide
15 Posts

The Castles of Burgundy» Forums » General

Subject: Why is this game fantastic? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
Have not played the game but apparently is perfect. Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:

Honestly, it's only perfect or good to people who like it. Even if one is a fan of Euro games doesn't automatically mean that they'll like Castles of Burgundy. I like Castles of Burgundy and I like Strategy Euro games but am luke warm on Terraforming Mars....soo....

What I like about Castles of Burgundy is probably not many reasons the hard-core lovers here like, I actually like the drab color scheme, I like rolling dice, I like using those dice to get stuff and that there's a way to mitigate my rolls via workers, I really like the multiple ways to ear points (point salad).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
jcgonzmo wrote:

2 words:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a good sized euro with lots of ways to win. it plays well and fast when all players know the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's just got a really lovely flow to it.

Thinky but not too thinky. There is an overall sense of strategy without you being bound to it, and you tend to play tactics on the fly and from a gut instinct (much like Concordia) which means you never approach the game with the same old tried and tested moves, which is great for replayability.

As a two player, it's the best I own. My wife loves it.

Got a bit of everything as well, dice rolling with a kind of worker placement feel to how you use the dice.

Set collection and building as you lay the tiles and build up your estate.

A little bit of take that as you grab the tile others want, but not too take that as there is always something else you can do if the tile you had your eye on gets taken.

Doesn't outstay its welcome, and it's only about £20 quid on Amazon so a real no brainer!!

Get it you wont be disappointed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazmondo123 wrote:
It's just got a really lovely flow to it.

Thinky but not too thinky. There is an overall sense of strategy without you being bound to it, and you tend to play tactics on the fly and from a gut instinct (much like Concordia) which means you never approach the game with the same old tried and tested moves, which is great for replayability.

As a two player, it's the best I own. My wife loves it.

Got a bit of everything as well, dice rolling with a kind of worker placement feel to how you use the dice.

Set collection and building as you lay the tiles and build up your estate.

A little bit of take that as you grab the tile others want, but not too take that as there is always something else you can do if the tile you had your eye on gets taken.

Doesn't outstay its welcome, and it's only about £20 quid on Amazon so a real no brainer!!

Get it you wont be disappointed

Everything he said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rakstad
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it because I never feel like I'm out of it. There's usually pretty good balance in that you're all going to complete a similar number of territories/colors, etc. Plus, with some of the end-game scoring, you may even have a chance at a comeback.

I like that you feel like you can almost complete the board. Many games give you that feeling like you're just going to be short of being able to do all you want (see Agricola, Scythe), but with Castles, I never feel like I'm in a place where I can't accomplish something.

Your choices are rarely too limited. Sure, I can get that boat in the 4 spot with my 1 die, I may need to use my other die and a worker to get there, but I can still get it if I really want it.

This was one of a few games that I instantly loved the first time I played it. I have not tired of it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
caroline aylward
Australia
flag msg tools
Good value. It's fun to place tiles based on dice rolls. It's not a huge time commitment. Variety of fall back strategies: If you missed out on mines, go for castles or yellows, farming, ships etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Povey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It scales really well. For me, it is literaly just as good with 2 players as with 3 or 4, and there is no fiddly rules or dummy players to implement with only 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Pfefferle
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I think it's just the most accessible of Stefan Feld's games and thus has gotten a broader range of positive votes despite not actually being the best example of his particular style of games.

Players love collecting things. Players love getting exclusive bonuses. Casual players like the dice luck element. But probably most of all players like the asynchronous scoring which never really makes you fee like you're lagging behind in the race for points - you can always score-bomb yourself back into the lead if you can just get the right tile ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can play full-blown multi-player solitaire if you want to. My wife and I LOVE it. Watch for cheap copies on Boardgame market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's addictive. It's kind of like going shopping only you don't have to spend any real money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Quinonez
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the strategy of placing all the different type of tiles -- Enough to make you think, not too much that it's overwhelming.

I love that there are multiple ways to win, multiple strategies to get lots of points.

I love that there is (almost always) something you can do on your turn that will help you.

The dice and different boards give enough variation for me to enjoy too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Glenn

Wyoming
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow Stefan Feld manages to use dice as an incredibly good action selection system. You always feel as though there is something you can do and rarely ever get terrible rolls, just some that are better than others. You can mod to do one good action or do two or if you plan well can do multiple actions.

It's intuitive yet clever. No AP, you could play it super strategic or play on a whim and still have a good time (the latter will make you lose but you will still get a sense of accomplishment). The scoring system is really good, the different paths you can take to victory, and the way you have to plan your construction while adapting to the rolls.

There is just the right amount of actions, not too many, but enough to make it interesting. I looove how you can chain the actions and as such I like castles and buildings that give you free tiles, and collecting silverlings. But all of the strategies are fun to play, and it's easy to mix it up and try different things.

And I have to mention the scoring system again, which pushes you to try and build quickly, so you have to choose between quick building vs efficient building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ligtreb wrote:
Enough to make you think, not too much that it's overwhelming.
I think it hits the sweet spot where people who like thinky games get just enough thinky to enjoy the game, but it's straightforward enough that a more casual gamer can enjoy it too.

It's a game that seems to go over well with non-gaming spouses fairly often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.