United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking at getting Marvel Legendary or possibly Sentinels of the Multiverse, both of which I understand are fun cooperative games. How do they stack up to ALCG, if you've tried one out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are good (I prefer Legendary) but neither are even remotely close to Arkham Horror LCG, in my opinion. If you want something somewhat similar, I would look at the Lord of the Rings LCG. Tons of content there and the card pool for deck building is so large to be almost daunting. It's an excellent game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which parts of the AH LCG appeal to you the most; deck building, co-op, theme, etc...?

Legendary has deck building (more like shuffle building actually). You create and tune your card engine on the fly for each game. My personal feeling the theme is somewhat thin.

SotM has pre-set decks. It has great theme but other than the promo card variants, the heroes' and villains' "personality" are locked in.

LotR is the most similar to AH. If you're into the idea of collecting expansion packs and fine tuning a deck, you've got a ton of them you can hunt down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the LotR LCG is probably the closest thing available.

There's some similarity with the Warhammer Quest ACG, but that's out of print, and doesn't actually have player deckbuilding. (Players have 4 actions that are always in play, and an array of equipment they can find during the course of the game.) Also, because it's out of print, you're limited to the five or six scenarios in the core box, and the four characters. (There were two PoD character expansions, but these are prohibitively expensive now.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do decide to go the Legendary route, I would suggest Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game over Marvel Legendary as it's a better story experience (each scenario roughly follows the plot of the four movies). Unless you hate the Aliens franchise, of course. Be warned this is deck building (you acquire cards over the course of the game) and not deck construction, like AH.

I thought Sentinels of the Multiverse was pretty boring because the decisions were minimal and uninteresting.

+1 to The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. If you like it, there is lots of content out there for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curse you all for sending me down the rabbit hole that Lotr LCG is turning out to be... my compulsive behaviors are taking over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
They are all very different. Even LOTR LCG to AH LCG. If you enjoyed the deckbuild aspect of AH LCG then go for LOTR LCG because there is a huge emphasis on deck building in that game. You don't level up decks but if you buy the saga deluxe boxes they do form a campaign similar to
AH LCG. LOTR LCG is much more of a card gamey card game in that it is much more abstract than AH LCG which walks the line between card game and RPG.

If you enjoyed getting loot and leveling up your investigator than Pathfinder Adventure card game might be worthwild checking out. It is played as a campaign and has a lot of released materials to play. I lost interest because I thought there wasn't enough variety in the gameplay and if felt a bit too easy though in fairness I only played the first Rise Of The Runelords campaign.

The Warhammer Quest card game is really good, has a campaign and lets you level up and customize your character. It doesn't really have deckbuilding since you don't really have a deck in that game in the traditional sense. You just have action and equipment you can use represented on cards. It has the problem that it's out of print and was released on the tail end of FFG having the Warhammer license so it only had one print on demand expansion which gives you two more characters. Therefore replayability is low considering there is only the one campaign and then the random dungeon mode, which is fine but will get old.

If you enjoyed piloting a variety of decks against a bunch of scenarios then SoTM is a great game in my opinion. There is a ton of release materials. No deck building since each hero has a prebuilt deck. The difficulty for SoTM varies wildly depending on the number of heroes you use, the hero combination you use and which villain you pit them against. Each villain has two difficulty settings so you could make easier villains more challenging which helps adds some replayability. Some heroes have much more obvious strategies than others.

I don't play the Legendary games. I blame Dominion. I think I got burnt out on the genre.

So it does depend greatly on just what you liked about AH LCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikatoy wrote:
If you do decide to go the Legendary route, I would suggest Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game over Marvel Legendary as it's a better story experience (each scenario roughly follows the plot of the four movies). Unless you hate the Aliens franchise, of course. Be warned this is deck building (you acquire cards over the course of the game) and not deck construction, like AH.

I thought Sentinels of the Multiverse was pretty boring because the decisions were minimal and uninteresting.

+1 to The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. If you like it, there is lots of content out there for it.

I'm a big fan of Legendary Encounters. I wish the whole Legendary line was as story focused and cooperative(cough Big Trouble cough). The hidden enemy track makes it scary to even scan a room in an attempt to progress, sort of like Arkham LCG's locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doctor poo wrote:
I'm a big fan of Legendary Encounters. I wish the whole Legendary line was as story focused and cooperative(cough Big Trouble cough). The hidden enemy track makes it scary to even scan a room in an attempt to progress, sort of like Arkham LCG's locations.

Perhaps they felt they didn't have enough source material to make a Legendary Encounters game for Big Trouble in Little China.

And agreed, the hidden enemies add a lot of tension and theme!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's hard to know what to recommend without knowing specifically what it is about AH you like.

LotR is really fun and I enjoy it a lot, but IMO it takes some expansions for it to come into its own, so be prepared to spend a fair amount. I haven't played Legendary, so no comment.

I like SotM a lot too, I think it could use a 2nd edition. Some of the mechanics are a little clunky, but it's good theme and fun gameplay with a very diverse group of heros to choose from.

I'd highly recommend the Attack on Titan deckbuilding game, especially if you are a fan of the show/manga.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.