Subject: what is Evolution: Small Box Edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Moore
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
what is the difference in Evolution: Small Box Edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't heard of that, and there's apparently no BGG listing for it.

Are you possibly referring to Evolution: The Beginning?

If so, this previous discussion may help; it includes responses by the designer . . .

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1617359/evolution-flight-vs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lorddog wrote:
what is the difference in Evolution: Small Box Edition?

It is the new re-release of the base game of Evolution. It has a smaller box, cardboard food screens instead of food bags, and a smaller price point, etc.

It is this one listed on the North Star Games website:

www.northstargames.com/collections/strategy-games/products/e...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
Smaller watering hole too, but no rules changes, just components.

Eldard wrote:
Haven't heard of that, and there's apparently no BGG listing for it.

This is the BGG listing for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So will the evolution climate conversion kit and the flight expansion still work for this edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lukeheineman99 wrote:
So will the evolution climate conversion kit and the flight expansion still work for this edition

Definitely. It's functionally equivalent to the older version, with a few cosmetic changes that allowed them to lower the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lukeheineman99 wrote:
So will the evolution climate conversion kit and the flight expansion still work for this edition?

Absolutely. As was mentioned earlier, the biggest difference will be replacing the cloth bags with folding screens for the food. I recall Dominic saying they will include clarifying wording for some of the mechanics that people ask questions about.

The screens and smaller box are to help reduce the cost to make the Base game more reasonably priced when compared to the other related products of the line.

It will be the same exact game, no worries about compatibility!

** edit: perhaps I should've read all the entries before writing essentially the same answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
lukeheineman99 wrote:

Like others have said, it is not a new edition. It is a different version of the same edition. Just like Scrabble and Scrabble Deluxe. Those are the same game, but at two difference price points. The new version of Evolution sells for $39.99. The original version of Evolution sold for $54.99. The $39.99 version has:

- Food Screens (instead of Food Bags)
- A Smaller Box
- New Watering Hole art from Catherine Hamilton (instead of John Ariosa)
- Some "10 Food" tokens to make sure people don't run out of Food tokens.
- Updated rules explanation and updated text on cards to make it easier to understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard

Frisco
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know the actual dimensions of the new box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Griffiths
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
lukeheineman99 wrote:

Like others have said, it is not a new edition. It is a different version of the same edition. Just like Scrabble and Scrabble Deluxe. Those are the same game, but at two difference price points. The new version of Evolution sells for $39.99. The original version of Evolution sold for $54.99. The $39.99 version has:

- A Smaller Box

I also remember reading you were going to change the card-text and rules to use bolded keywords more, or something like that, to make the sequence of actions more specific. Or did I make this up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Poddster wrote:
domcrap wrote:
lukeheineman99 wrote:

- A Smaller Box

I also remember reading you were going to change the card-text and rules to use bolded keywords more, or something like that, to make the sequence of actions more specific. Or did I make this up?

True. Thanks, I forgot about that. I added it to the list above.

The original idea was to use the simplest possible text on the cards to get the idea across to new players, so we did not use many keywords. While the cards were easy to grasp individually, it was not clear how the cards interacted with each other, so players had to constantly refer to the reference guide in the rules. So the new version uses keywords which help communicate how the cards interact with each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pumpkinhead76 wrote:

8.75 inches wide
11.75 inches tall
2.75 inches deep

(this is 99.75% accurate)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard

Frisco
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!!
domcrap wrote:
Pumpkinhead76 wrote:

8.75 inches wide
11.75 inches tall
2.75 inches deep

(this is 99.75% accurate)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tammi Moran
msg tools
Darn! I didn't know about the 10 value food tokens. I just ordered the new watering hole and player screens to use with our big box Evolution. I should have just bought the small box and had those plus the new tokens so we wouldn't have to worry about running out of food in future games. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Rochester
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
lukeheineman99 wrote:

Absolutely. As was mentioned earlier, the biggest difference will be replacing the cloth bags with folding screens for the food. I recall Dominic saying they will include clarifying wording for some of the mechanics that people ask questions about.

The screens and smaller box are to help reduce the cost to make the Base game more reasonably priced when compared to the other related products of the line.

** edit: perhaps I should've read all the entries before writing essentially the same answer

Your last comment made me laugh out loud.
It's interesting: Amazon and some other sellers of the game aren't even telling people about the small box edition, they're just selling it as though it's this incredible price reduction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnathan Ray wrote:
Thud105 wrote:
lukeheineman99 wrote:

Your last comment made me laugh out loud.
It's interesting: Amazon and some other sellers of the game aren't even telling people about the small box edition, they're just selling it as though it's this incredible price reduction.

How do you think it should be marketed? It's all the same functionality, after all; I don't think it's dishonest to market it the same way (as long as the list of contents is correct, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.