4 Posts

Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: FF #1 Strategies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
Hello,

I've played this scenario 4 times (with all rules as stated in scenario), two-handed. I found more often that the Russians (R) were able to win by using guerilla tactics (shoot and then move out of LOS) and playing defensively. Since R has the control point, the Germans (G) must assault the location or risk widening the VP gap. At which point, R makes sure it stays out of LOS of the MGs while slowly whittling away at G's forces.

G usually enters from the bottom left, but have tried to also come in from the top left. R usually has a single unit that moves the flank to try to harass the units, while the rest waits in the forest with clear LOS to the control point. Usually if R can hit a unit first, it reduces the pressure greatly.

So, I'm wondering if I'm playing the G wrong. It seems from other threads, people have said G usually has an advantage. What strategies/tactics have people tried in this scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Luksich
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I recall of FF#1 the Germans can utilize their MGs to usually win any straight up firefight at range, especially if they can occupy the heavy forest by the objective. However the Soviet player can of course rush units towards that center forest and make it a close combat bloodbath. I remember the big early German move was attempting to get line of sight on the road in order to prevent the Soviets from occupying that clump of heavy woods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Parrish
msg tools
I have played this firefight about six or seven times. I have found if the german player attacks with overlapping fields of fire with lmgs from the bottom left, the soviets have a hard time not yielding territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DELTA2468 wrote:
From what I recall of FF#1 the Germans can utilize their MGs to usually win any straight up firefight at range, especially if they can occupy the heavy forest by the objective. However the Soviet player can of course rush units towards that center forest and make it a close combat bloodbath. I remember the big early German move was attempting to get line of sight on the road in order to prevent the Soviets from occupying that clump of heavy woods.

Which they can do on their first move by simply using a CAP to have an LMG (or an LMG and a rifle team if they want to use a group move) to come into B2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.