Deathwatch: Overkill» Forums » Rules

Subject: Quick Rend Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duck Duck
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Just reading thru the rules and had a quick question concerning the Rend ability.

Do the targets you reallocate the remaining hits to still have to be in range?

For instance, if i attack a model at Assault range, get three hits and kill it with two remaining; but the only models in that targets space are beyond Assault range, can i still use Rend on them?

I wanna say No, but couldnt find anything to confirm.

Any help?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Maguire
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules in front of me but I've always played it that if you roll attacks for a particular range band (assault, combat, max). So if I wanted to use the dice specified in the assault range I couldn't attack past that.

Some marines have really good assault range stats but at combat range or beyond they decrease significantly (if I recall, those two marines with the jump packs fall into this category). It didn't seem right to be able to apply those assault "bonuses" to a different range...It'd be like assaulting to the end of the combat range.

Again, without rules in front of me I can't 100% confirm you're right but it sure seems like you've got it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
savijmuhdrox wrote:
Just reading thru the rules and had a quick question concerning the Rend ability.

Do the targets you reallocate the remaining hits to still have to be in range?

For instance, if i attack a model at Assault range, get three hits and kill it with two remaining; but the only models in that targets space are beyond Assault range, can i still use Rend on them?

I wanna say No, but couldnt find anything to confirm.

Any help?

Thanks.

No. The original target must be in range. All additional targets of rend only need to be in the same ZONE as the original target. You have to think very carefully about how you place miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duck Duck
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Hmmm.. while i agree the rules do say "in the zone"; it still doesnt seem to jive with the intent that one needs to think carefully about miniature placement.

Going with the 'in the zone' ruling would actually seem to negate careful miniature placement as the model placement in a zone (in this case) wouldnt do anything to prevent Rend.

Though i suppose the careful part then would be to not put the miniatures in that zone to begin with.

Thanks for the replies, i suppose i'll go with the literal 'in the zone' ruling for now; and i can always house rule it if it causes a fuss, but it doesnt seem like it will... there's plenty more genestealers waiting in the wings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
savijmuhdrox wrote:
Hmmm.. while i agree the rules do say "in the zone"; it still doesnt seem to jive with the intent that one needs to think carefully about miniature placement.

No. It's very important. The game is all about movement and placement.

Put a weak model with no armour within assault range of a character with rend, and watch the models hiding behind it get ripped to shreds. Conversely, position your heavily armoured models up in your opponent's face and watch them waste their rending capabilities.

Similarly, a character with rend needs to think carefully about how to move into a position so he can target a weak model, and then get the overspill onto other enemies in the same zone.

And as you noted: You really need to think about what models are in a zone together. Lots of models in a zone restrict your opponent's movement, but leave you susceptible to rend and blast damage. It becomes a balancing act, and you constantly need to think about how to stop your opponent moving without opening yourself up to a devastating attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.