6 Posts

Dominant Species» Forums » Strategy

Subject: If you're last and initiative is open, always take it rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Berggreen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I've been playing my first 10-20 games now.

I'm wondering if the subject statement is always true.

Can you help out here? Are there any cases I don't see?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you are short in action cylinders I would take the initiative as you can still use that cylinder for another action later that round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
So I'm not sure there's a huge difference between going last and going second-last in a 6er game, for instance. In a game like that, I might just resign myself to having bad initiative all game, and not take it. Especially on the first round, where there are a bunch of pretty really important actions at the start (Speciate, adapt, glacier, wunderlust, as well as score), and taking initiative might mean you're giving up a lot of ability to set up your game.

That said, apparently I prioritized it as mammals in a 6er final at WBC a number of years ago? And came in 2nd, despite getting catastrophe'd badly? Right, I think the years after that it was tricky to consistently get - I saw a lot of fighting over initiative from people in the 2-4th spots, and so, I came to the conclusion that 5th and 6th can't consistently get it, and there isn't much difference between 4th, 5th, and 6th, so it isn't worth giving up good actions to take. Really, you care a lot about the ability to go first or second - to grab a really good scoring card, or maybe a critical glacier/wunderlust/adaptation.

Probably depends on how much your group values it. The more the group values it, the more they think "if I don't take it, the person after me will, and so, I'll fall a spot in initiative.. meaning that I need to take it", and so the harder it is to get late in turn order, meaning that getting it once at the start of the game is probably not be worth the opportunity cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Berggreen
Denmark
flag msg tools
eversceptic wrote:
I've been playing my first 10-20 games now.

I'm wondering if the subject statement is always true.

Can you help out here? Are there any cases I don't see?

I recognise that I should have been more clear about what I meant here. Let me elaborate a little.

The title should have been "If you are the last to go in a turn and the initiative is open, always take it".

What I mean is that you'll be advancing on the initiative track and then, right after, you'll be moving your pawn to another place, just like you would if you hadn't taken the initiative action.

I'm sorry for the confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Berggreen
Denmark
flag msg tools
CyberGarp wrote:
So you're asking everyone to delete all their posts on this thread and start over? I find such a request odd as discussions are very organic things that drift around a topic and if you're lucky actually provide some insight you seek. From a more Buddhist perspective I'm not attached to my comments, nor do I see any harm in deleting them if it would ease your consternation.

Point taken. Let's be organic and buddhistic.

Please, could you include my new observations about the title and the lack of details in my first post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The flow of Zen through me let's me select my option by the flows of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.