7 Posts

Bloodborne: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few rule clarifications... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pat O'Donnell
msg tools
mb
a) If you kill a boss with "instant" damage, they die at that moment and do not attack, correct?

b) What happens if you play transform but have no Melee or Ranged cards available? Can you use Hunters Dream or is that essentially a "pass"?

c) Beast Claw seems pretty powerful -- a free trip to Hunter's Dream every turn. Is the only downside to this that you don't get get half damage that turn? Otherwise, you could use this every turn for 2 damage, banking blood, an upgrade, and refreshing your hand? NOTE: If you are currently in first(based on blood only?) you ONLY get the damage effect. That sound right?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Navarrete
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
a) Correct. Killing a boss during Step 3: Resolve Instant Effects means the boss dies during Step 3 and therefore never makes it to Step 4: Monster Attack.

b) You cannot play Transform if you do not have a Melee or Ranged card in your hand to follow it up. Page 9 of the rules states "Transform commits you to fighting the monster. You cannot choose to retreat into the Hunter's Dream this round." If the only cards in your hand are Transform, Hunter's Dream and utility cards (which are neither Melee or Ranged weapons), then your only play that round is your Hunter's Dream card.

c) Yes, and don't forget that you reset your health to 8 as well if you survive the round! Beast Claw is arguably the strongest Action card in the deck because it essentially gives you a full Hunter's Dream cycle every time you play it (provided you don't die during the round you play it). As a Melee weapon, it's weak only vs. the Hunter Blunderbuss, which will reduce it's damage from 2 to 1, and the Flamesprayer, which will cause the Beast Claw's owner to take double damage that round. So there's some risk in using it, but mostly from other Hunters!

Also, if you've taken the lead with the highest total blood (collected + banked), your Beast Claw card loses the Hunter's Dream ability — it becomes a basic 2 damage Melee weapon. So keep a good count of your opponents' blood, and only play it when you're sure another Hunter has more blood than you! If the Beast Claw owner manages to stay below 1st place for several rounds, the advantage of playing Beast Claw over and over again becomes really frustrating to the other players as you cherry pick the upgrades and build a killer hand. And as soon as you've moved into the leader position with your blood count, you can discard Beast Claw in favor of better upgrades.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Moore
South Africa
Grahamstown
Eastern Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
podonnell wrote:
c) Beast Claw seems pretty powerful -- a free trip to Hunter's Dream every turn. Is the only downside to this that you don't get get half damage that turn? Otherwise, you could use this every turn for 2 damage, banking blood, an upgrade, and refreshing your hand? NOTE: If you are currently in first(based on blood only?) you ONLY get the damage effect. That sound right?

Thanks!

I know this is a little late, but you don't get Beast Claw back when you use it to go to the Hunter's Dream. In the Hunter's Dream (Step 7) you only get to pick up your used pile and your Hunter's Dream card. Cards that you played this turn only go into your used pile in Step 8. So, your Beast Claw, and a Transform if you used that to get your Beast Claw out, won't be in your used pile to take back to your hand. So, you'll have to play your Hunter's Dream card to get Beast Claw back in your hand.

If you have both Beast Claw cards, then you can play one each turn, getting the other back each time (assuming you don't have the most blood).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rudimental wrote:
podonnell wrote:

Thanks!

I know this is a little late, but you don't get Beast Claw back when you use it to go to the Hunter's Dream. In the Hunter's Dream (Step 7) you only get to pick up your used pile and your Hunter's Dream card. Cards that you played this turn only go into your used pile in Step 8. So, your Beast Claw, and a Transform if you used that to get your Beast Claw out, won't be in your used pile to take back to your hand. So, you'll have to play your Hunter's Dream card to get Beast Claw back in your hand.

If you have both Beast Claw cards, then you can play one each turn, getting the other back each time (assuming you don't have the most blood).

This clarifies a lot. What if you are tied for most, does it count as having the most? I assume yes. I suppose you could break that tie like at the end game, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mr mr
msg tools
mb
Hello,
The two answers above give conflicting answers. One says it's the same as playing Hunter's dream card, the other says it isn't?

However, i believe it's the first answer because you have entered the Hunter's dream so you follow all four steps as it says on page 12.

I think the quote 'including the Hunter's dream card you just played' should really add 'if played'. Otherwise you would have to treat beast claw like a dead Hunter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Bane
msg tools
I stand correctected I got in contact with cmon their response was this.

Hi, So When you enter the Hunter's Dream, ALL of your played cards are taken back to hand, including the ones played that round. At the start of the game, you only have the Hunter's Dream card allowing you to take cards back into your hand. That would mean, if it wasn't picked up in the Hunter's Dream, you'd never have any way of getting your cards back again. Step 8 refers to used cards for players that did not enter the Hunter's Dream on that round. Does that make sense? Thanks! ^Sean

So effectively if you have beast claw and do not have the highest amount of blood echoes it is a second hunters dream card. Waiting for.100% clearification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Malog wrote:
I stand correctected I got in contact with cmon their response was this.

Hi, So When you enter the Hunter's Dream, ALL of your played cards are taken back to hand, including the ones played that round. At the start of the game, you only have the Hunter's Dream card allowing you to take cards back into your hand. That would mean, if it wasn't picked up in the Hunter's Dream, you'd never have any way of getting your cards back again. Step 8 refers to used cards for players that did not enter the Hunter's Dream on that round. Does that make sense? Thanks! ^Sean

So effectively if you have beast claw and do not have the highest amount of blood echoes it is a second hunters dream card. Waiting for.100% clearification.

Just to reiterate what was said before, Damage to you is not halved when you play this card. So, it's not a direct replacement to the Hunter's Dream card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.