Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rian van Meeteren
Netherlands
Oegstgeest
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben Sanders and I are playing the WC 3 map scenario of Absolute Victory. In our second session we ran into problems with the creation of Vichy during the the French Campaign. The resaon for this is that the rules for the formation of Vichy seem to be inconsistent.

The formation of Vichy is based on Axis event VE-40-1 "Vicy French Collaboration". The players are instructed to place the "Vichy France" variant marker in France (if France has not yet surrendered). Unfortunately rule 23.2 on Vichy France tells the players to do something completely different. Here event VE-40-1 is presented as a save event that can be triggered if the Axis player controls Paris. (Actually both players may trigger this event).
Rules 23.2 then proceeds with the creation of Vichy. The wording of the rules seems to indicate that this happens immediately ("... play stops temporarily...", the Vichy France variant is placed in in A-2506 etc, etc.
This seems to indicate that the creation of Vichy happens immediately upon the the capture of Paris.

However the text of the Vichy France variant is: "If the VICHY FRANCE variant is in France, and if the German units control Paris during any Surrender Phase during which France has not yet surrendered, the German player may declare Vichy France. This indicates that the creation of Vichy France does not happen immediate, but is delayed to the Surrender Phase.

We would appreciate to receive an authorative ruling on how Vichy France should be created and we are interested on how other players have dealt with this issue. For the record, Ben and I decided after close to 2 hours of rules discussion and bickering to roll a die, and accepted the delayed creation of Vichy France

Rian van Meeteren (als on behalf of Ben Sanders)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The intent was for Vichy to happen automatically as soon as the conditions are right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rian van Meeteren
Netherlands
Oegstgeest
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nando Ferrari
Italy
Verona
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I suppose that you must hold Paris until the surrender phase to play the Vichy France. The problem that I get was with the placement of Vichy units. It seems that you don't place any infantry unit and that the only units that you place are ships. When Vichy is activated as UN or Axis ally it starts to produce infantry (and tank or planes, but only with the lend lease).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.