Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Lowe
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
After Star Wars: Epic Duels, we felt like playing one more game, so I opted for Battleball. This would give me a chance to avenge the defeat I suffered at the hands of Chris last time we played. I again played the side of the Iron Wolves while Chris manned the Black Hearts. I won the coin toss and was able to grab control of the ball first. The first half started slowly as we jostled for position. Chris started bringing up his forces in line, making sure to leave no holes in his defenses for my running back to squeeze through. I wasn't getting anywhere waiting for Chris to make a mistake, so I opted to bring out the heavy artillery. I started moving Stalwart the Forge over to Chris's left flank, hoping he could clear out a path for my running back to get through. This worked far better than I could have hoped, as Stalwart ended up blowing huge holes in the Black Hearts' defense. Not only was he clearing a path, he was knocking many of the Black Hearts out of the game! My ability to roll snake eyes during the tackling rolls, especially when it was close, was uncanny. After a while the Black Hearts left flank was decimated, and I was able to sneak a running back through to the endzone.

We setup the board to start the second half, and the havoc Stalwart the Forge had wreaked during the first half became readily apparent. The Iron Wolves had a significant piece advantage, as a number of Black Hearts were permanently knocked out of the game in the first half. At this point I'm thinking the second half, and thus the game, is going to be an ol' fashioned whoopin'. Chris however proved very crafty with the pieces he had. He grabbed the ball, scurried back to a position of defense, then started to plow a path with his tackle and lineman. No worries, I thought, as I brought trusty Stalwart the Forge into play early, and he again started tearing apart any opponent near him. However I was so busy ripping apart Black Hearts, that Chris took the opportunity to sneak a player near my defenses and complete a pass to him. A risky play, since I had a pretty good chance of making the tackle and controlling the ball. I tried to make the stop, but I failed to make the tackle. The hole in my defense now opened by the failed tackle allowed Chris the path he needed to reach the endzone for the score. The game is tied, so we're on to overtime.

The Black Hearts may have scored, but it had been costly. Stalwart had permanently knocked out two or three more players in the second half, so this meant the Iron Wolves had almost a 2-to-1 piece advantage! Chris again grabbed the ball early, so I was on the defensive. I started moving my lines forward, taking care to ensure there weren't any holes in my lines that would allow a quick scoring strike by an opposing running back. Stalwart again started to wreak havoc, but his luck finally ran out while attempting to tackle a safety. With Stalwart out of the picture, Chris's chances greatly improved. I accidently strayed a bit too close on a couple of occasions, and Chris made me pay with great movement rolls with his tackle and lineman to pick off some of my faster, weaker players. Eventually it came down to a cat-and-mouse game on my right flank. I forced the issue by sending in my lineman to break up what little blocking Chris had left, but I failed to make the tackle. This left a temporary hole in my defense, and Chris promptly rolled an 18 with his running back. We counted it out, and this would leave him 2 squares away from the endzone with a defending safety within striking distance. Should he take the risk, hoping that I either fail to roll high enough movement to initiate a tackle or fail on the tackling roll? In the end he decided to play it safe and danced around to my left flank. I had to scurry to close some holes on the left flank, and the game of cat-and-mouse continued. After trading a few more pieces, Chris eventually made a break for the endzone but came up just a bit short. I needed to make a pretty good roll on a safety to catch him, but I made the movement roll, made the tackle, and stole the ball. At this point there were so few Black Hearts on the field that I was able to race the safety around the remaining defenders and cruise into the endzone for the victory.

Wow, what a match! It looked like it was going to be a blowout after the first half, but Chris proved to be a very worthy opponent, especially with the handicap of having so many of his players knocked out of the game so early. I was able to avenge my loss from last time, but it sure wasn't easy. Maybe next time we'll try out the special team rules, but so far we're having plenty of fun with the game as-is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
really great writing, you bring the game to life! I have played a few of those first half blow out where your kinda feeling all bummed cause your down a few guys - really hurts the most when it is the heavy tackle. And then you have this bummer attitude and then roll great and take a few of his out and even up the serious injury count..............

I have just recently found the game and am loving it, one of my favorites right now.

Try out these advanced rules from Mr.Bistro and you will start playing all over again - mainly just allowing 3 guys to go on your turn, I am going to add that I think the 1/2 spaces on the side should not be counted as spaces to make the board just a wee bit smaller and easier to defend?

Enjoy:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/28242
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.