Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space» Forums » Rules

Subject: Movement through Escape Pod Sectors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron Adams
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,
I just received this game about a week ago and have had a few run-thru's with some buddies. So far I love this game and the aesthetic of this game is right up my ally (minimalist!). During our last session we had an argument regarding whether or not aliens could move through escape pod sectors? The rule book notes that aliens may NOT move through the human or alien starting sectors however, the rule book (at least for the ultimate edition) does not mention anything regarding moving through an escape pod sector. The rule book states "only human players can end their turn on an escape pod sector". My question then is: Are aliens allowed to move through the escape pod sectors? Does it make a difference if the escape pods have been used or not? Or... are escape pod sectors treated the same as the human and alien starting sectors (aka: no movement through these sectors)?

Perhaps this will just have to be resolved with a house-rule which is perfectly fine. I was just wondering if there was an "official" rule.

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumDuder8 wrote:
are escape pod sectors treated the same as the human and alien starting sectors (aka: no movement through these sectors)?

This is how my group has always played.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Adams
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the way we decided to finish the game and it bought the human player enough time/space to escape as we were playing on the "Galvani" map (map #2 I believe). This adds an interesting element of strategy to the humans regarding escape pod selection on certain maps, such as Galvani. If pod #3 or #1 are determined to be broken (red hatch card) the human can essentially "shut-the-door" on the alien forcing them to go around which can prove to be crucial if those aliens are close behind.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Govind Krishna
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
As long as I live, so long do I learn
badge
Peace is the inner nature of humankind. If you find it within yourself, you will then find it everywhere.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Had the same question. I think not moving through the escape pod sector makes sense as it would probably create an imbalance in the game.

Also, I was wondering something:
When the alien declares an attack, what is stopping one of the human players from not lying and hidding?
I mean staying silent as if nothing happened as there weren't anyone on that sector which the alien has attacked. Especially when they are near the escape pod?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Adams
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing is stopping the human players (or the aliens) from lying at any point during the game. This is definitely a game that requires players be honest or the game will fall apart and not be fun for anyone. Hopefully we will choose not to play this game if we question whether anyone would cheat/lie ...

HOWEVER... I do tell everyone at my table to be sure and write down any special actions (including attacks, used items, escape pod attempts, etc.) on their track so if we suspect a cheater in our midst we can go back at the end compare player tracks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumDuder8 wrote:
My question then is: Are aliens allowed to move through the escape pod sectors? Does it make a difference if the escape pods have been used or not? Or... are escape pod sectors treated the same as the human and alien starting sectors (aka: no movement through these sectors)?

Perhaps this will just have to be resolved with a house-rule which is perfectly fine. I was just wondering if there was an "official" rule.

Thanks!


Both editions are nearly the same when it comes to movement rules. Each sector describes what happens if you end your movement there, or if you cannot enter it at all. The escape pod sector says only humans can end their movement there, and does not prohibit alien players from entering which means they can enter as long as they do not stop there which also means aliens cannot attack there.

This differs though for damaged escape pods, as no player can enter a damaged escape pod sector.

This game is nice and flexible though, so it's all the better if you add a house rule that makes it more fun for your group.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Govind Krishna
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
As long as I live, so long do I learn
badge
Peace is the inner nature of humankind. If you find it within yourself, you will then find it everywhere.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumDuder8 wrote:
Nothing is stopping the human players (or the aliens) from lying at any point during the game. This is definitely a game that requires players be honest or the game will fall apart and not be fun for anyone. Hopefully we will choose not to play this game if we question whether anyone would cheat/lie ...

HOWEVER... I do tell everyone at my table to be sure and write down any special actions (including attacks, used items, escape pod attempts, etc.) on their track so if we suspect a cheater in our midst we can go back at the end compare player tracks.


Agreed. So it becomes more about the gaming etiquette at that point.
And marking or writing down other's actions are a good idea.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.