Subject: Spoiler Images on Boardgame Front Page rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First suggestion after a year of using the geek.

I've searched and found suggestions around spoiler tags for images, but my suggestion is a very specific one.

Please (by default) prevent any images which include massive spoilers from appearing on the 'front page' of a game. For example the first image on the Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 page appears to include huge spoilers for the game.

It is not unreasonable to expect someone researching a game to go to that games page, and there shouldn't be a risk of them ruining parts of the game in doing so. Heck that page is like the number two result on google. Sure if you go digging into the images or forums unprepared you can expect spoilers, but you wouldn't expect the front IMDB page for a movie to tell you what happens at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne mathias
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I find this rather confusing, but I am one of those people who will not buy a game unless I have first been able to read the entire rules - or have already played it or at least watched it being played.

A video/puzzle game with a storyline that has an ending might resemble a movie and a premature revelation of the ending is a spoiler. Same for a book. Same for telling the punchline early in a joke.

Please explain how a board game - or any game that depends on player interaction - can have a spoiler. Are you saying that looking in the box or seeing it being played somehow prevents you from enjoying playing it yourself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gxnpt wrote:

I find this rather confusing, but I am one of those people who will not buy a game unless I have first been able to read the entire rules - or have already played it or at least watched it being played.

A video/puzzle game with a storyline that has an ending might resemble a movie and a premature revelation of the ending is a spoiler. Same for a book. Same for telling the punchline early in a joke.

Please explain how a board game - or any game that depends on player interaction - can have a spoiler. Are you saying that looking in the box or seeing it being played somehow prevents you from enjoying playing it yourself?

I completely agree for the majority of cases that is absolutely fine and I would do the same. However in the example I gave, and in the example of most 'Legacy' style games (e.g. Risk legacy; Seafall), a major part of the experience is the revealing of a story, new gameplay elements, an ever changing game setup which develops as the game goes on.

A single photo can easily spoil a significant part of the enjoyment of the game which comes from not knowing what comes next. You will not find any images or descriptions of these on the publishers website, promotional materials or even in the rulebook (even the specific component lists are only what you find when initially opening the game). Similarly they aren't to be found on any of the big review/media sites - except behind lots of spoiler warnings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic Legacy is a special case. It's a campaign game that takes weeks to play. You play it repeatedly and the rules change depending on your choices, success and failures in how you played it before. You open up envelopes and find secret instructions, and rules which include things like
'rip this card in half' and 'put these stickers on that card, making permanent changes to it like this, and that'. Once you are done the whole campaign, if you want to play the game again, you have to buy a new box.

So, yes, it can have spoilers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne mathias
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha!
That explains much (I would never buy a game where parts of the rules were concealed and never buy a single-play legacy game either).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gxnpt wrote:
Aha!
That explains much (I would never buy a game where parts of the rules were concealed and never buy a single-play legacy game either).

I got it as a birthday gift a month ago. I haven't played it. I don't think I ever could bring myself to tear up a card. And my first thought was, ah, 'if it isn't replayable, it isn't a board game'. (Which is probably wrong, but fits my head at any rate.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zorko
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
gxnpt wrote:
Aha!

I got it as a birthday gift a month ago. I haven't played it. I don't think I ever could bring myself to tear up a card. And my first thought was, ah, 'if it isn't replayable, it isn't a board game'. (Which is probably wrong, but fits my head at any rate.)

If you are not planning on selling it I would say that you should find a group to give it a go :-) You don't have to destroy cards, you can just set them aside. After finishing the legacy campaign you could just remove all stickers and pkay regular pandemic on the board :-)

As for the topic here, I agree, such games should not have spoilers, I haven't finished the campaign yet, but the surprises are half the fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.