Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maurizio Briosi
Italy
Rovereto
Rovereto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The deluxe expansions will come with 10 dice, 1 deck and the deckbox to hold it for around 25$, if I got the correct price estimation. Whereas the base set is like 40 dice, 6 decks + tokens for around 45-50$.

Is this a good price for expansions and it is the base set that is actually an incredible offer (since you will trade 2 deckboxes to 4 decks and 20 dice) or is the expansion that is pricey?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorlin wrote:
The deluxe expansions will come with 10 dice, 1 deck and the deckbox to hold it for around 25$, if I got the correct price estimation. Whereas the base set is like 40 dice, 6 decks + tokens for around 45-50$.

Is this a good price for expansions and it is the base set that is actually an incredible offer (since you will trade 2 deckboxes to 4 decks and 20 dice) or is the expansion that is pricey?

I personally think that all of the expansions are pricey (i.e. the base set is fairly priced)... but, the deluxe expansions are decently priced relative to the non-deluxe expansions. A non-deluxe expansion deck and 10 dice would cost you $25 on the PHG store, and that's the same amount of product that you get (plus a deck box) with the deluxe expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorlin wrote:

MSRP comparison

Base Set - $50 (6 Decks (6 decks (60 new cards, 3 each plus related conjurations), 40 Dice, tokens, and box)
vs
Deluxe Expansion - $25 (1 Deck (10 new cards, 3 each plus related conjurations), 10 Dice, and deck box)

So that does seem like it is pricey, but compare to other ashes products:

Expansion Deck - $15 (1 Deck (10 new cards, 3 each plus related conjurations))
10 Ashes Dice of a single type - $10 ($5 + $5)

That gets you to $25, so the deluxe expansion gives you a free deck box if we are comparing 1 for 1.

On top of that, lets look at a Netrunner deluxe expansion for comparison:

$30 MSRP for 165 cards (3x copies of 55 new cards). Sure you get a lot more cards, but no dice and no deck box.

But, I think $25 is right about where these deluxe expansions should go. I'd like to see it lower, who wouldn't, but I think its fair considering that the bread and butter of the LCG release model is the slow drip of expansion packs/content

The base set is usually a great deal at a lower price to hook you, and they make their money on the back end. Every LCG/ECG does it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicklas Lundkvist
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This following is of course just my very own opinion, but I'd say that this game has reasonable prices overall. I was very surprised by how many things where included in the base game when I bought it for the equivalent of roughly 50 USD.
As a person who's played Magic longer than any other game and having my world view based in that, I was expecting the Ashes base box to contain one card and some commercial telling me where I could buy other cards for one billion each.

The expansions seems like they will come in pretty nice boxes, which I will use as storage when going to friends and/or potential tournaments. Just buying a nice empty box for another game could be 5-10$. Then there are the dice, ten of them, ten dice could also easily cost 10$ if going for dice that aren't just plain and boring. And lastly the deck, which I'd pay 10-15$ for alone, personally.

To me it all adds up. And I don't mean to sound like a rich snob, I'm not, it's just that this game feels affordable for being a game that has sufficient material to build infinite amounts of decks and can support competitive play.

To really answer your question, which I kinda forgot while writing, is that I'd say that the base box is cheap'ish, and the expansions seem fairly priced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking, in games like this, core sets are the most affordable option and, by extension, the worst margins for a company. They want you to go full bore into the expansions so they give you a lot of product for what you pay. Once you get into expansions, you see better margins for the company and less "bang for your buck" from a consumer perspective. To borrow a poor analogy, when selling drugs to someone for the first time, they are sold the best stuff possible to get them hooked. Once hooked, they get sold the lesser product mixed with filler. Not that I've ever sold drugs before... gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a European player, I'm probably more negative about Ashes than the average American players.

After their European pre-order fiasco, their promo cards fiasco and their War Within Event fiasco (my FLGS still hasn't received their ordered event items), I just don't feel any love for European players. € 50 (possibly € 60) for 2 decks is just too pricey (I don't care for the deck boxes as I prefer my games & expansions in one box). For that price I can buy a whole new game experience.

Which means that, with pain in my hearth, I will leave this game behind me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is pricey. Mostly nobody who is still following this game is only going to buy one of these expansions. Some may buy only one, but if you are a player/fan who has held out for this long, you are buying both. That's $50 for 2 decks and 20 dice (and 2 admittedly cool boxes). To me it's one $50 expansion split in half and sold separately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Generally speaking, in games like this, core sets are the most affordable option and, by extension, the worst margins for a company. They want you to go full bore into the expansions so they give you a lot of product for what you pay. Once you get into expansions, you see better margins for the company and less "bang for your buck" from a consumer perspective. To borrow a poor analogy, when selling drugs to someone for the first time, they are sold the best stuff possible to get them hooked. Once hooked, they get sold the lesser product mixed with filler. Not that I've ever sold drugs before... gulp

Might want to use consoles/video games as the analogy here! Systems are sold at a loss or razor-thin margins to get people in the system, where games can be sold and the larger profit made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio Briosi
Italy
Rovereto
Rovereto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't mean to say they were badly priced. I get the idea of going with low margin on core and then make money with expansion...but now after so much silence I fear it will not attract too many new players that are the perfect target for a single,self contained deck.
Also this expansions where originally expected to be included as a second big box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorlin wrote:

Also this expansions where originally expected to be included as a second big box.

Plans as far in the past as that was being discussed have a way of changing significantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio Briosi
Italy
Rovereto
Rovereto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But I think it will have done a great job at maintaining a higher price-value ratio, unless the box price were around 90-100$.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:

That exactly. You can't compare base set with expansions because the company takes a low margin to get you hooked in. They make their money with expansions and OP kits cause they take a higher margin.

Same thing for car retailers who sell new cars. They don't make much money on the car. They make it on financing, extra services, parts, repairs, tune-ups, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray S
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I think that price is a bit high it is probably fair compared to a single deck regular expansion. I think if they threw in a set of say 10 of each token it would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.