Wesley Reynolds
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I was looking at buying an "Unlock!" game, and the cover and theme on this box of the three available right now looked the most interesting. I've heard this series is great to play 2-players with a spouse. But then I read the blurb and it mentions being split apart and lines of communication being cut... which, if we're talking 2 players here, means we are both playing a solo game. Should I steer clear of this box for that reason, or is it not that bad and we'll "reunite" very early in the escape?

Any feedback in general about wanting to get an Unlock! game for 2 and which they suggest is also welcome. Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank I
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Try Squeek & Sausage first regardless, it's a good one to play to get used to the mechanics, etc. The tutorial and PnP demos are also a good bet for two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideally you'll have more players, but even with just the two of you, you can make the island work.

I think you can still keep the team aspect going, just pretend that you found a working walk talkie and you use that to communicate with each other about what you are looking at to try and solve it w/out seeing what each of you is looking at.

Worst case, you can just share the cards and solve it together. Still a lot of puzzles to work out between the two of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.R. Shoenberger
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd say this one needs at least 4 players to be enjoyable. I think it would be too frustrating to fully enjoy otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Rudolph
Canada
Langdon
Alberta
flag msg tools
GIR, quickly, ride the pig!
badge
Yaaaaaay! I don't know what you just said!
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely disagree that you need at least 4 players. My wife and I went through this one and didn't have that may problems. I'm baffled that a lot of these escape room games say that you need 3+ players for them; we've found that there's enough to keep us both engaged without any problems. In fact, I'd argue they're better with fewer players - there doesn't seem to be enough to do in most of these to keep 4 people engaged at the same time without getting in each others way or struggling to see the little bits of information on the few handouts there are.

We've played all of the escape room games available except for Deckscape at this point and haven't found any problems with just the 2 of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played it with three.

You're split at the beginning, can't talk to each other.

a>Relatively quickly, you can talk to each other.

b>After you get frustrated with each other's inability to speak plain English, you will meet up.

For us, these parts were less than 30 minutes of 95 minute run.

I think people are stumbling because in part A, its potentially possible for one group to solve their puzzle(s) and be just waiting around for the other group to "catch up."

And in part B, trying to communicate puzzles verbally is even more frustrating than Codenames, Charades or other party games where its perfecly clear what you mean and they. JUST. WON'T. GET. IT. Depending on the personalities involved, this can upset some people. Just now, I was animatedly telling my gf she has zero communications skills while she's privately thinking that I'm dumb as a rock. We've been together long enough that we're not going to get mad or grudge on this, but that's not always the case. Her sister though was getting nervous with me being loud and animated, even though I'm assuring her I'm not angry/upset.

Some people get uncomfortable with that thing, some people get uncomfortable when other people get uncomfortable. So its very much a YMMV.

But, in my opinion, this one was the BEST of all the escape room games I've played so far. So it worth trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Played it with two, one of those two happened to be a wife. Went just fine, and I don't know that having more people would have helped any with the things we got stuck on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.