Techno Bowl: Arcade Football Unplugged» Forums » General

Subject: Best MFL teams? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerome F
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For those who have already received (or constructed!) your game and played a few matches, I'm interested in your thoughts while I wait for my game to transit all the way here to me in Australia:

Which do you think is the strongest team? Why?
Which is easiest to learn to use effectively?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, I think Superstar teams are the easiest to use effectively, as you're less reliant on combos. Give the Kittens a shot, for example. Danders runs really well (lets you spend less effort setting up good downfield passing plays) and Whatshisname's Team Player ability exists for generic, rather than specific, combo opportunities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
troy jones
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spry wrote:

As lomn said, "superstar" teams, i.e. teams with a three-star player, are easier to learn to use. Just hand the ball to your three-star guy and watch the magic happen.

Teams with four one-star players are trickier because you have to coordinate them to make the most of your team. Kinda like how in chess a rook, bishop, and pawn together are theoretically as good as a queen alone, but are harder to coordinate effectively.

As for which team is the best, I think it's too early to say. Shove is pretty darn sick though-- any team with a Shove player is a contender if you ask me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
troy jones
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...Also run-oriented teams are a bit more straightforward to learn to use effectively than pass-oriented or defense-oriented teams.

So taking all that into consideration, maybe have a look at the Reapers' alternate configuration (i.e. John McFadden #44 and Bo Nose #77). McFadden has Shove; Bo has three running-oriented skills (Sideliner and two others... I forget now... I want to say one of them is Stiff-Arm). So, much like in Tecmo Bowl, just give the ball to Bo and watch him run circles around the other team haha...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moon rally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Spry wrote:

Which do you think is the strongest team? Why?

The Lumberjacks of course! The have #46 "psyche" Ward and #47 Franck "The Tank" the most dominating linemen in the world! Oh and some other guys called Dakota and Nice.

But seriously, I think rather than looking for the strongest, you should look for a team that fits your playstyle, as it happens, I like airing it out so the Lumberjacks are a good fit for me. That said I quite like having something on D too and the Lumberjacks are lacking there.

What type of style do you prefer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome F
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh, I might not have been clear; it's not that I'm looking to play the strongest team available, I'm just interested in the differences. With such a variety of teams, I wonder how good people will find the overall balance to be.

For me personally, I think I'd like to experiment with a few different playstyles... I'd hate to become too predictable and bore my opponents!

Can't wait for it to arrive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
I think the satisfaction you get from pulling off a huge combo is awesome. The green backs with Dodger's passing abilities is so cool when you can heave it downtown and generate another action for your WR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crowley
msg tools
I've been having success with the Tridents so far. Unlike others here I actually prefer to have my skills spread out, and the Tridents have a couple that I really like:

40 Mike Money (Block +1): The +1 usually helps me get at least one free activation per game, which might not seem like a lot on paper but it can be a real game changer.

44 Max Bruce (Team Player): +/-2 bonus for teamwork! I use teamwork a lot (and you should too) so this is huge for me. I usually pair him up with Money for an easy +3 bonus, no bench boost required.

6 Mary Iota (Route Passer): Route passing is always a bit of a gamble but I'm not a huge fan of the Pocket Passer ability.

7 George Edwards (Spin): Nice to have, especially on your fastest player. I usually use this guy as a decoy to set up short underneath passes for my "tight ends," though, so I don't get to use it much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Johnson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
crowlz11 wrote:
I've been having success with the Tridents so far. Unlike others here I actually prefer to have my skills spread out, and the Tridents have a couple that I really like:

40 Mike Money (Block +1): The +1 usually helps me get at least one free activation per game, which might not seem like a lot on paper but it can be a real game changer.

44 Max Bruce (Team Player): +/-2 bonus for teamwork! I use teamwork a lot (and you should too) so this is huge for me. I usually pair him up with Money for an easy +3 bonus, no bench boost required.

6 Mary Iota (Route Passer): Route passing is always a bit of a gamble but I'm not a huge fan of the Pocket Passer ability.

7 George Edwards (Spin): Nice to have, especially on your fastest player. I usually use this guy as a decoy to set up short underneath passes for my "tight ends," though, so I don't get to use it much.

I had the pleasure of using the Tridents the other night and had a great game with them. My opponent and I have been choosing teams at random to play as. The Trident's roster plus my opponent's horrible luck (he rolled triple 5s trying to tackle George Edwards who was returning a fumble for a TD... broke his ankles so hard he died) gave me a hefty 21-0 win and some good insight into how to run an impact player squad.

I guess I haven't played enough to see the dangers of Route passing but Mary Iota had a couple of real solid passes to get me downfield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I really like the Tridents as well, Block +1 and Team Player are both deceptively OP skills, because it makes for a LOT LOT LOT more +3 blocks. I also think the Ankhs, Greenbacks, GORILLAS ARE OP SCREEN PASSER IS AMAZING, and the Regals are all really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.