BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: How close is Exceed to Battlecon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I saw another thread that reminded me I needed to ask this question. I picked up Exceed as a Christmas gift for my son due to how cheap it was and we played it twice. We didn't enjoy it much and before we played I was convinced I'd like Battlecon.

How close are they? If I don't like Exceed should I avoid Battlecon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Exceed has a random card draw to get cards in your hand, while Battlecon gives you all the cards you'll have in your initial deck. Once you use a card, it is set aside for a couple of turns and then returns to your hand. So there's no luck. The vocabulary is different, but you still have a priority number. They are similar, but you can see Battlecon as more chess like because it takes out the luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jauron wrote:
How close are they? If I don't like Exceed should I avoid Battlecon?
I don't think they're that close. Imho, Exceed is a lot closer to Yomi (second edition).

A fellow in my board game group who prefers strategical games commented that Yomi felt completely random to him, while he quite enjoyed BattleCON.

While I don't wholly agree with that assessment, there is some truth to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.