Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Gipson
United States
flag msg tools
ApolloRa Games
badge
Triangulated Review
mbmbmbmbmb
After using some deduction with the graphics, I think we figured it out, but I am not sure, so I am on here to get some clarity.

To cast level 1 spells, you have to have an apprentice in the level one spot. And if you only have one apprentice there, and in the duel that apprentice moves up to the next level, you now have access to level 2 spells.

1) Does this mean you gain access to ALL the level two spells within that apprentice's domain -- so all level two spells with the blood descriptor for example, or do you ONLY gain access to the level 2 spell that represents the combination you made?

2) When you promote an apprentice to level 2, and he is now a mage that can cast spells from two schools, do you no longer have access to that level 1 spell anymore until you put a level 1 mage? Thematically I assumed if you can cast a higher level spell, you could still cast a lower one, but based on the graphics on the pages, it leads me to believe that you cannot. This also explains the phrase, "Knowledge gained and lost"

Side Note, thematically I love this part of the game, mages dueling ... and then with the corruption spell, you even capitalized on that theme with mechanics exceptionally well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Heerema
Canada
Hanover
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You only gain the level 2 spell that represents the specific combination you made. Can be a tough decision because -

2. The latter is correct. You lose the knowledge of the level one spell area that he left behind. (Unless you had multiple apprentices there before you sent one of them to duel. One would move up but the others would remain in the level one spell area and preserve that knowledge.)

(Thanks - I love the Corruption mechanic too...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B C
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you take the Initiate / Promote Apprentices action, you can only promote one apprentice? Maybe making the maximum number extremely clear (for both initiation and promotion) with the Mage Tower as is done with Race Enclave would help.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gipson
United States
flag msg tools
ApolloRa Games
badge
Triangulated Review
mbmbmbmbmb
fjaoaoaoao wrote:
When you take the Initiate / Promote Apprentices action, you can only promote one apprentice? Maybe making the maximum number extremely clear (for both initiation and promotion) with the Mage Tower as is done with Race Enclave would help.

Thank you!

I thought you could only initiate one, but you could promote / duel as many as you wanted when you took the mage tower action. Is that not correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B C
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TaylonMoon wrote:
fjaoaoaoao wrote:

Thank you!

I thought you could only initiate one, but you could promote / duel as many as you wanted when you took the mage tower action. Is that not correct?

Upon closer inspection of the rule book draft, I think you are correct... but I was only able to glean this from the example, not from the writing of the rules themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.