Subject: Road trip game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi gamers. Any thoughts on good games that can break up a long family road trip? Only 3 players (2 adults and an 11 year old) and one of them will be driving all the time and therefore unable to do much in the way of looking at, holding or moving things. Thinking Spyfall but I hear it's not so good with three... Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
Win, Lose, or Banana

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cooz wrote:
Hi gamers. Any thoughts on good games that can break up a long family road trip? Only 3 players (2 adults and an 11 year old) and one of them will be driving all the time and therefore unable to do much in the way of looking at, holding or moving things. Thinking Spyfall but I hear it's not so good with three... Thanks!

Unless you're playing a typical old-school driving game like the license plate game, name the song on the radio, or I-spy, I strongly recommend that you stick to 2 player games suitable for an 11 year old and an adult. The last thing you need is the driver looking at or focusing cards, cellphones or other game pieces and not the road...

** Getting Down of my Soap Box **

For Small footprint 3 player games for the hotel room or the rest area break any of the Tiny Epic Series games will work (Tiny Epic Galaxies, Tiny Epic Kingdoms, etc...), as well as a number of games from Oink Games like Deep Sea Adventure. Splendor (without game box), Cockroach Poker, Hero Realms would all work.

While driving in the car, 2 player game with low component count, that can be held in the hands would be best. Tides of Time or one of its variants like Tides of Madness, might work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks George but I guess I didn't state my point clear enough. The very point of this query is that driver (me) will not be able to handle cards or components, etc. so I am looking for game ideas to account for this exact situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have four in the car, which makes some things a bit easier, but I'm planning to try Team Work Original. Have also thought about Black Stories, although suspect my kids are too young for the subject matter.

For the others while you are driving, this is a pretty cool little game to check out: Ace of Aces: Handy Rotary Deluxe Edition. Maybe not so easy to come across though.

But mostly, I'm going to focus on driving and leave games to the rest of the family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oneiric wrote:

For the others while you are driving, this is a pretty cool little game to check out: Ace of Aces: Handy Rotary Deluxe Edition. Maybe not so easy to come across though.

There has been a KS reprint -- and the results were gorgeous. I bought 2 copies this year for presents, so in March 2017 at any rate, they were not sold out. And, my goodness, what a game for a car trip. (Though not for the driver!)

Contact Flying Buffalo directly and ask.

http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/address.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cooz wrote:
Thanks George but I guess I didn't state my point clear enough. The very point of this query is that driver (me) will not be able to handle cards or components, etc. so I am looking for game ideas to account for this exact situation.

okay, I just can't think of any board or card games that you as a driver can play or participate in that won't require you to look at, think about or handle components in such a way that won't take any of your focus away from the road or driving.

The road sign game, finding words on billboards, road signs and bumper stickers that start with the letters of the alphabet. You could have a car passenger draw scrabble tiles out of bag, and the first person who sees a word that starts with that letter, scores the value of the tile.

License Plate Poker - look for best poker hand based on letters and numbers on license plates of other cars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Jensen
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooz wrote:

I have never tried this or played the game at all, but on another thread, someone said that Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective is a very good road trip game. It seems like it would be good. Solving a case while you drive doesn't seem too bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat H
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe Crack the Case?

This is more a series of puzzles than a game, but we have had it out during road trips because the driver can play along
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta be -- MADLIBS
sorry no link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcm70 wrote:
Gotta be -- MADLIBS
sorry no link

Yes, we do love our madlibs but just looking for something different too. Long trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
Even as a kid, I have never liked road trip games... whether they be purely verbal (I spy, license plate game, or alphabet game), magnetic versions of other games, or activity books. Mainly because they involve little concentration. Sudoku is perhaps one exception.

Personally, I think tablets are perfect for this space. You can load them up with tons of different board games which can generally be played solo or pass and play without worrying about components. You can also put on movies or video games for when you are not interested in a board game. When traveling, I also find myself waking long before my family, so having a tablet with solo games helps me pass the time without waking everyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Gibson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though it is not a game idea, you might try getting a few audio books from your local library. My husband and I really enjoy listening to books on long trips.

Game ideas:
20 questions

Variation on Scattegories, taking turns, and naming items out loud. You can use any number of ways to choose the letters and categories.

Would you Rather card game (You Gotta Be Kidding! The Crazy Game of "Would You Rather...?") without the driver taking a reading turn.

Edit:
This Geeklist has a few ideas: Road trip modifiable games. (I was going to post a link, but I can't figure out how. It asks for a geeklist ID, and I don't know where to find the ID.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You were looking for this link?

I got this by running a Google search in my browser:
site:boardgamegeek.com "road trip modifiable"

Out popped https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/209891/road-trip-modifiab...

and the number in the url, 209891 is the number you are looking for.

Or just paste in the whole url, everybody does that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.