Subject: ONUW with the GBOG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One Night Ultimate Werewolf is probably the best option to introduce new players to social deduction games. It plays in 10 minutes, so it's easy to get people to try it out for a couple of games.

On the other hand, ONUW offers an astounding amount of replayability, and has demonstrated to have exceptional staying power.

The adaptation I suggest allows full plays for 5-6 players, with a limited selection of characters (6 from the 12 of the base game). It's more than enough to introduce newcomers and to engage experienced players.

The components required for a game are very simple:
- number of players + 3 cards, which will determine the role of each player. The three extra cards will be placed in the center, and will create uncertainty.
- number of players + 3 tiles, which will help test deduction theories during the discussion phase.

For a game of 5 players, a good mix of roles is:
2x werewolves, 1x troublemaker, 1x robber, 1x seer, 3x villagers

Later on, the minion can be added to the mix in replacement of a villager:
2x werewolves, 1x troublemaker, 1x robber, 1x seer, 1x minion, 2x villagers

The conversion key for the roles is the following:

Werewolf -> arrow (kills the villagers)
Villagers -> 3 circles (non-descript characters)
Minion -> drop (pointed circle), a villager on the side of the werewolves
Troublemaker -> crosses two circles, exchanges the role cards of two players
Robber -> bricks, swaps his role card with another player
Seer -> crown, can look at the role card of another player, or two cards from the center.

My set is in French, but you get the idea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Nice!

Why only 6 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Because you only have 6 different symbols on the GBOG, mostly. You could stretch it to 7 replacing by a single-card role like the minion by the masons (there are 2 of them), but I don't think that's very interesting.

Don't forget you need to keep 3 unused role cards in the center.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
But why not just add more villagers and werewolves? I see the original ONUW set only has 3+2 of these role cards, but the Green Box has 6 of each :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is certainly possible, but increasing the iterations of a given role can drastically dilute their impact on the game and deteriorate gameplay, because you decrease the amount of info you can deduce from them.

I'm not saying it's impossible to find an interesting mix of multiple seers, minions, werewolves, etc. But that involves tinkering. Here I'm suggesting out of the box configurations that are well tested and approved by the community of players.

It's also for that reason that I did not specify lower player counts than 5-6. It's certainly possible to play at lesser counts, but those configurations are less appreciated, so I skipped them.

In general I prefer to narrow the focus of a suggested configuration, if it improves the odds of having a good play experience when using it with the GBOG. Of course, everybody is encouraged to tinker, but at their own risk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls