Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

The Networks» Forums » General

Subject: Could have done with a better insert... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sanjay Gianchandani
India
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I own about 45 games, yet never have I been so disappointed by the insert of a box. The rulebook doesn't fit, the components don't fit and even the punchedout cards dont fit in the box.[Yes, I am one of those who likes to preserve everything of their game, and for most games, they just slide underneath the insert for a perfect increase in height for the insert].

Are all of you facing the same issues, or am I doing something horribly wrong with my re-packing?

Edit: Changed subject. Originally it was "Worst insert ever?"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Worst insert ever?
I have everything except punchouts fitting OK in the box with the insert. I wouldn't say I find nice to have to let player boards etc sit on the sides at the top, but it works fine.
Would you have a pic of your attempt at fitting it all in the box? (Without the punchouts, I mean.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Carson
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Worst insert ever?
I don't know if it's the worst ever, but it's not great. I've got cards and pieces in plastic bags just tossed in one of the sections with the player boards across. And the box is an uncommon size/shape as well. It all fits so I haven't toss the insert but I'm definitely not attached to it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Worst insert ever?
Buy another 500 and you will see what is also possible...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanjay Gianchandani
India
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Worst insert ever?
Herman92 wrote:
I have everything except punchouts fitting OK in the box with the insert. I wouldn't say I find nice to have to let player boards etc sit on the sides at the top, but it works fine.
Would you have a pic of your attempt at fitting it all in the box? (Without the punchouts, I mean.)
Really? That must mean I am doing something very wrong. I mean I could get everything(except the punchouts) to be inside the box(alongwith the insert), but only just...
i am traveling for a couple of days. will share my shoddy attempt soon. although, perhaps it makes more sense for u to share ur "successful" packing.

dtcarson wrote:
I don't know if it's the worst ever, but it's not great. I've got cards and pieces in plastic bags just tossed in one of the sections with the player boards across. And the box is an uncommon size/shape as well. It all fits so I haven't toss the insert but I'm definitely not attached to it.
Exactly! looks like they put absolutely no thought into the insert.

d0gb0t wrote:
Buy another 500 and you will see what is also possible...
Oh god! that's my future isn't it? bankrupt with 500 or so board games as my only material possessions!

I think one think that's grinding my gears more than it probably should is that I got Secret Hitler and Networks both together. On the one hand is a game which has wonderful components with everything fitting perfectly and looking "oh so perfect" and on the other hand is networks. cry
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Worst insert ever?
I have hundreds of games, and can think of only 2 or 3 where the insert was worth keeping. In general, inserts are a waste of space.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Worst insert ever?
I don't even remember how it looks like, as it spent approx 10 seconds between opening the box and throwing it in tha garbage can.

mrGenius wrote:
I own about 45 games, yet never have I been so disappointed by the insert of a box. The rulebook doesn't fit, the components don't fit and even the punchedout cards dont fit in the box.[Yes, I am one of those who likes to preserve everything of their game, and for most games, they just slide underneath the insert for a perfect increase in height for the insert].

Are all of you facing the same issues, or am I doing something horribly wrong with my re-packing?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Worst insert ever?
I have everything fitting in the box with the insert without any problems. This also includes the on the air expansion.

It's not a great insert. Most aren't since they're mainly to keep everything tidy in shipping, but no problems fitting everything. Can provide pictures if desired.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
koen verstraete
Belgium
ruddervoorde
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Worst insert ever?
About 15 years ago, when you bought a Ravensburger game everything had its right place. But nowadays firms don't invest in this anymore. But I liked it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Re: Worst insert ever?
Inserts don't often matter to me bc I store most of my game vertically.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Worst insert ever?
Try the new Bärenpark "insert" and see if you want to edit the subject line Or the classic FFG folded card insert which is only there for shipping purposes and is expected to be thrown away when you store the punched game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Re: Worst insert ever?
I was able to fit everything in fine with the insert.

I did eventually make my own insert, but that was largely for setup purposes. Wanted to be able to put it on the table and start straight away.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Worst insert ever?
My guess is you're trying to fit the 12 player/game boards inside the gutter.

Try this: put all cards, small punchboard bits (like money), and wood bits inside the gutter. Then put the 12 boards on top of the insert; don't put them inside the gutter! If you split them into two groups of 6, they will fit perfectly. Then put the rulebook on top. The box should close without issue.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Copac
United States
Hudson
OH
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Worst insert ever?
mrGenius wrote:
I own about 45 games, yet never have I been so disappointed by the insert of a box. The rulebook doesn't fit, the components don't fit and even the punchedout cards dont fit in the box.[Yes, I am one of those who likes to preserve everything of their game, and for most games, they just slide underneath the insert for a perfect increase in height for the insert].

Are all of you facing the same issues, or am I doing something horribly wrong with my re-packing?

Hyperbole much?

Networks is hardly the worst insert. Barenpark has already been mentioned, but there's also Fields of Green where the insert didn't even survive shipping and somehow disintegrated itself in shrink.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hylbak
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Re: Worst insert ever?
The Pursuit of Happiness insert was garbage as well. Torn in shipping.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanjay Gianchandani
India
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Worst insert ever?
Monkatron wrote:
I have hundreds of games, and can think of only 2 or 3 where the insert was worth keeping. In general, inserts are a waste of space.
Oh wow, really? I guess I have been lucky with my games then. Most of them are pretty decent.

darkranex wrote:
I have everything fitting in the box with the insert without any problems. This also includes the on the air expansion.

It's not a great insert. Most aren't since they're mainly to keep everything tidy in shipping, but no problems fitting everything. Can provide pictures if desired.
Well for me, everything just about fits(including on the air expansion, not including the punchouts), and then when I keep the rulebook its slightly above the brim of the box.

bbkoene wrote:
About 15 years ago, when you bought a Ravensburger game everything had its right place. But nowadays firms don't invest in this anymore. But I liked it.
Well the Ravensburger Castles of Burgundy that I have has an absolutely pointless insert. That's the only Ravensburger game I have.

IngredientX wrote:
My guess is you're trying to fit the 12 player/game boards inside the gutter.

Try this: put all cards, small punchboard bits (like money), and wood bits inside the gutter. Then put the 12 boards on top of the insert; don't put them inside the gutter! If you split them into two groups of 6, they will fit perfectly. Then put the rulebook on top. The box should close without issue.
Wow! Thanks for taking the time to monitor and reply on the forums here Gil. I am just mighty impressed when game designers are able to take out the time and effort to do that. Hats off. Also, congratulations on a truly enjoyable game.
That said, I am doing exactly like you suggested. Still the rulebook is slightly above the brim, leaving the box not fully closed and I have no space to retain the punchouts. I have had a few games where the punchouts go below the insert to make everything fit perfectly. However, after reading the responses on this thread, I am pretty sure I am in the minority. Ppl don't even seem to care about the insert, much less the punchouts. I am one of those who wants to preserve everything from the new game.

copax wrote:
Hyperbole much?

Networks is hardly the worst insert. Barenpark has already been mentioned, but there's also Fields of Green where the insert didn't even survive shipping and somehow disintegrated itself in shrink.

Ha! yes, definite hyperbole and exaggeration from my end. Like a reflex reaction from a disgruntled and obsessive gamer trying to pack the game perfectly.
I mentioned the number of games I own so ppl could gauge how much experience or inexperience I have with this hobby. After reading the responses, it definitely counts as inexperience . Barenpark does sound pretty bad. I am glad I didn't order that. Given my obsession wth preserving everything in close to mint(while being playable) condition, I would have been devastated by it.

=========================

Thanks for replying everyone. Wanted to get your thoughts after my immediate frustration with the insert from an otherwise gorgeous game.

Also, apologies for vanishing. Had a personal emergency at home. Meant to reply and close the discussion sooner.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Worst insert ever?
mrGenius wrote:
Wow! Thanks for taking the time to monitor and reply on the forums here Gil. I am just mighty impressed when game designers are able to take out the time and effort to do that. Hats off. Also, congratulations on a truly enjoyable game.
That said, I am doing exactly like you suggested. Still the rulebook is slightly above the brim, leaving the box not fully closed and I have no space to retain the punchouts. I have had a few games where the punchouts go below the insert to make everything fit perfectly. However, after reading the responses on this thread, I am pretty sure I am in the minority. Ppl don't even seem to care about the insert, much less the punchouts. I am one of those who wants to preserve everything from the new game.

Thanks for the kind words, and I hope that things have settled down back at home!

So when you say "punchouts," do you mean the money chits, player boards, and other things you punched out, or do you mean the empty sprues from which you punched out the money chits, player boards, etc.?

If it's the latter, and you're keeping the empty sprues, that's definitely what's causing the box to ride up. I know a few gamers who, as a general matter of practice, keep the empty sprues beneath the inserts for each of their games, but you don't need to do that with that game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanjay Gianchandani
India
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Worst insert ever?
IngredientX wrote:

Thanks for the kind words, and I hope that things have settled down back at home!

So when you say "punchouts," do you mean the money chits, player boards, and other things you punched out, or do you mean the empty sprues from which you punched out the money chits, player boards, etc.?

If it's the latter, and you're keeping the empty sprues, that's definitely what's causing the box to ride up. I know a few gamers who, as a general matter of practice, keep the empty sprues beneath the inserts for each of their games, but you don't need to do that with that game.
I did mean the latter and no, the I haven't kept them in the box. There's definitely no space for them. Even without them the lid doesn't close a 100% as the rulebook ends up just above the brim.
I still have the empty sprues around as I am loath to throw away anything from a game, and I am hoping to put them in some other box or something.

PS: I am having a bit of a starstruck feeling conversing 1:1 with you, a game designer... and am deeply regretting the exaggeration/hyperbole in the subject of this thread.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Worst insert ever?
Nah, I'm just another fan of games!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This insert was great. Because the first thing I do with almost all my games is throw away the insert so I have more room in the box and this was really easy to throw away.

Seriously though, I never understood why inserts are a big deal. I put all my components in plastic bags anyway and without the inserts there's a lot more space. I can probably count on one hand the games where I kept the insert. (Mechs vs Minions comes to mind, the way that thing is packed together is amazing!! wow)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls