Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the people at my local board game meet once told me that you can use Dark City to turn Legendary into a more purely cooperative game. I could see Legendary getting a lot more play by my dad and I if it was more cooperative (and more challenging than the base Legendary game).

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Dark City will up the challenge that's for sure but the coop experience is the same as the base game. I coop Legendary with my wife and we never had an issue with the coop experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I always play pure co-op with or without Dark City.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What probably makes it implicitly more cooperative is that the masterminds are harder to beat than those in the base game, so there is greater need for cooperation and going for points may cost everybody the game.

But like Michael said, I'll always play it purely cooperative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Newton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Dark City and still play it as semi-co-op. It does force players to cooperate more, but there are still points on the cards and you can still hurt each other to get ahead.

If you want a purely cooperative Legendary, you can try Legendary Encounters Alien, Predator, or Firefly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThinkingThatsAll wrote:
I have Dark City and still play it as semi-co-op. It does force players to cooperate more, but there are still points on the cards and you can still hurt each other to get ahead.

If you want a purely cooperative Legendary, you can try Legendary Encounters Alien, Predator, or Firefly.

As co-operative experiences go, these are definitely better choices. Still, Legendary Marvel is always going to be pure co-op for me.

First of all, semi co-ops never work. Never. I want to say that I came across one possible exception to this rule once, but I sure can't remember it now. There is no faster way to get me to move on to some other table than to say you're setting up a semi co-op game (well, okay, maybe saying you are setting up a train game would do it to).

Second, and more important here, it just kills the theme for me. The superheroes are banding together to stop an evil plan. They are NOT banding together so they can all selfishly show off and try to accomplish more than their teammates do. "Hurt each other to get ahead"? No, sorry, that's not a superhero game to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Second, and more important here, it just kills the theme for me. The superheroes are banding together to stop an evil plan. They are NOT banding together so they can all selfishly show off and try to accomplish more than their teammates do. "Hurt each other to get ahead"? No, sorry, that's not a superhero game to me.

It's a marvelous thematic fit for Legendary Villains, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I guess I'll ask this- how much do you adjust the difficulty of Legendary so that victory isn't an assured thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miller4h9 wrote:
So I guess I'll ask this- how much do you adjust the difficulty of Legendary so that victory isn't an assured thing?

I don't understand the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the first time my dad and I played, we were never in any real danger of losing. We just played the standard game without adjusting the difficulty in any way. What ways do you boost the difficulty in order to make loss a real threat? (I know there's a list of ways in the back of the rulebook, but I was wondering what people found to be a good setting for playing a pure co-op game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
We play where we have to hit the mastermind one more time after the tactics are gone. That increases the difficulty along with increasing the scheme twists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miller4h9 wrote:
Well, the first time my dad and I played, we were never in any real danger of losing. We just played the standard game without adjusting the difficulty in any way. What ways do you boost the difficulty in order to make loss a real threat? (I know there's a list of ways in the back of the rulebook, but I was wondering what people found to be a good setting for playing a pure co-op game.)

Adding more Scheme Twists is the easiest way to increase difficulty.

Also, adding more expansions and playing random setups increases the difficulty, I think. I have all the expansions and I use the Assemble app to choose random setups for me and I certainly don't win every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilkens
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option is to increase the toughness of the mastermind.

I believe the Dark City rulebook has a list of variants on how to increase or decrease difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that list is what they were talking about!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Newton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:

Buy the you are not a hero, you are a hero relations officer for SHIELD. SHIELD, like all large corporations is governed by internal politics. There is only so much budget to go around and a dollar that another team gets is a dollar that is taken from you.

Also, it is a competitive environment. There are only so many promotions to got around and they go to the best employees.

When I teach the game, I explain the loss conditions as: "If you don't have the most victory points, your family does not get a vacations this year. If you don't stop the mastermind, your family gets sent to Dr. Doom's labor camp."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murrell Sippy
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
A Little late to the thread, but I’ll add my two cents.

If you are wanting to play more difficult co-op experience but don’t want to complicate anything too much, best way to go is random everything and make it to where you have to claim the final Mastermind card ie have to beat them a fifth time to finish them off. This really should be the default

Magneto can be a bit more difficult when there are no X-men on the field. Villains like Blob and Venom can literally turn out unstoppable some games. You’ll purposely prevent this from happening when hand picking, but that’s part of the fun doing it all random. You still want to follow the “always leads” group, but other then that, let the game build itself everytime.

The other set I recommend if you are trying to keep things simple and mainstream (meaning avoiding any complex rules or quirky heroes/villains) is Paint the town red. Mysterio and Carnage are pain in the butt masterminds and there were some solid schemes and villains to boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.