15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Amerigo or Yokohama or Orleans?!HELP!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Christley
msg tools
mbmbmb
Having trouble making a decision on games to buy. I have decided definitively on Nations (Clearance for $60 at Miniature market). But, I can't decide between Orleans,Yokohama and Amerigo. I have and love Castles of Burgundy, plus the lure of the Cube tower for Amerigo. Orleans is the most highly rated on BGG and Yokohama has had sparkling reviews (especially
from No Pun Included). What 2 should I get? HELP!! P.S. would love to get Troyes, but MM market is out of stock and they have the best price by far for Nations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
nations goes on sale super cheap sometimes. hell, if you don't live too far from me I can probably give you a better price on it. (though the box is huge so maybe not.)

I dunno about the others. Orleans I want to try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orleans all the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would skip Nations and get the other 3. All three of those are great games and totally different from each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Christley
msg tools
mbmbmb
Done. Thanks for the advice. Still may get Nations at some point, but these three seemed luck a better value and assortment of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
After serious analysis and a long walk in deep thought, I have decided my recommendation for you is: BUY ALL THE GAMEZ!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gstrobe188 wrote:
I would skip Nations and get the other 3. All three of those are great games and totally different from each other.

No way! Don't skip Nations, it's awesome. It's highly rated for a reason.

Go for Orleans. Yokohama is too busy. Haven't tried Amerigo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games your mentioned I've played CoB, nations, and amerigo. I personally don't get the allure of nations but I feel its a tad too different to compare to the others right now.
Amerigo is one of my top 5 games. I thought that cube tower was a silly gimmick before I played but its used well in the game is one of many ways the game gives players random but fair inputs. I think it builds on a lot of feeling and tone CoB has. So if you share similar tastes with me (i think you are, looking at your collection) amerigo will be a success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orleans and Yokohama are both in my Top 10 games of all-time, with Orleans barely winning for now.

I have not played Nations, so I can't speak to it, although I know it's loved by many as a shorter civ game without much attacking.

Amerigo is also a favorite of mine (I rank it a 9), but many people disagree with me on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Christley
msg tools
mbmbmb
At some point all of them will be bought. There is no doubt. Budgetary constraints aretheonly issue at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Christley
msg tools
mbmbmb
I will get Nations at some point. Just trying to get the most for my budget right now. It will be bought before the end of the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kainu
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orleans. Haven't played the other two, but Orleans is in my top 10. Get it, get some plays in, and soon Trade & Intrigue (the 2nd expansion) will be out!
The game is a chore to set up, but plays very smoothly once it clicks with everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave P
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butlersox20 wrote:
I will get Nations at some point. Just trying to get the most for my budget right now. It will be bought before the end of the year.

Check the dice version of Nations - its much better and plays faster.

The full Nations overstays its welcome at the table IMHO.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezoj R
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the comments here - all great games for one reason or another (I can't comment on Orleans as I haven't gotten it yet). Especially if you're into game mechanics and euros. I would suggest buy all these games now and don't buy any games for the next month or so (or until you've played these 4 games or until you've skipped a purchase cycle). They are all good, solid games. You may find that one or some are not your in you wheel house, but at least you can say you've tried them out and you save on shipping. Also, you may want to check out boardgameprices.com to compare the aggregate prices for all 4 games and buy them from the OLGS with the lowest price (or ask to price match?).

If you don't like one or two or all of the games, their resell value or trade value is still pretty good. Buy them all! Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just don't understand the allure of Orleans. I find it to be extraordinarily bland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.