Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Galvan
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all!

After several days over-analyzing, pondering, and asking myself over and over again "Should I back or not?" I finally made a decision.

I AM BACKING IT!

HOWEVER, I am not sure if I should just get the base game or also the mini-expansion .

I have never played the base game and I don't have a printer :| at home so no PnP for me .

What does the mini-expansion add? a good "bang for your buck"? is it for casual or more advanced players?

Do just go for it since I am a working young adult with few responsibilities and money was made to be spent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It's for more advanced players.

This is my fault because I still believe there should be some mystery to the retail experience. As BGGers, we're over-analyzing, deeply pondering and heavy into research, not because we want to- but because we can't trust what publishers might be trying to push. We've been burned before, especially on KS. I don't want to sell you something you're not going to be happy with, but rather than lay out every little detail of the expansion (which is still no guarantee that you'll like it), I'm just going to give you a scant handful of sentences and hope you'll take the plunge because I'm a really cool guy who doesn't even make money on a $6 expansion.

That makes sense right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$6 for an expansion and a pnp rpg? No question. Thanks Tony!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DanoG wrote:
What does the mini-expansion add? a good "bang for your buck"?

The next time you spend $4 (190 RD$) on a coffee, ask yourself how much bang that one coffee is going to bring you. The expansion is only $6 (285 RD$), which is less than many people spend on junk food each day (and is about half the price of a single Oktoberfest beer (1 liter)).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
The next time you spend $4 (190 RD$) on a coffee, ask yourself how much bang that one coffee is going to bring you. The expansion is only $6 (285 RD$), which is less than many people spend on junk food each day (and is about half the price of a single Oktoberfest beer (1 liter)).

$6 is not including shipping though. I'd be paying $3 shipping on top of the $6, making it a $9 purchase. And I don't spend anywhere near $9 a day on coffee and junk food.

And although I did actually back it when it launched, I had to cancel my pledge due to other spending necessities this month (specifically, £140 for a new car battery, gah!) which meant I could no longer afford it this month. And by next month the KS will have wrapped up. Darn it, cars, why do you need batteries to start?! What was wrong with hand-cranks?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Galvan
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the Reply!

Horror Leader wrote:
It's for more advanced players.

This is my fault because I still believe there should be some mystery to the retail experience. As BGGers, we're over-analyzing, deeply pondering and heavy into research, not because we want to- but because we can't trust what publishers might be trying to push. We've been burned before, especially on KS. I don't want to sell you something you're not going to be happy with, but rather than lay out every little detail of the expansion (which is still no guarantee that you'll like it), I'm just going to give you a scant handful of sentences and hope you'll take the plunge because I'm a really cool guy who doesn't even make money on a $6 expansion.

That makes sense right?

BASE GAME + MINI-EXPANSION IT IS!

Even if it is for more advanced players, I always have the option to just play the regular game.
In addition, it will add some nice stuff for the possible, potential, "maybe going to happen" RPG-lite supplement that you are TOTALLY working on, right?

sgbeal wrote:

BTW a common meal on a dinner / cafeteria / business food joint on the DR is around RD$ 140 (US$ 3). You might start looking for a new coffee shop because it sounds they are overcharging you :S.

But it is true, fast food (Wendy's, Pizzarelli, Tacos del Sol, KFC, etc.) can be expensive :S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer (because I write long posts):

Yes, get the expansion with the base game. Main reasons: low cost, future availability is uncertain, and skill-wise you'll probably want it eventually so you might as well get it now.

Detailed answer:

When I backed this project, I didn't think twice about it. I backed for the game and the expoansion. The base game is $20, and the expansion is only $6 more. That was sufficient reason for me. And as I understand things, the expansion is almost like a second game (though you need the base game's ships and stuff to play), for only $6 or 30% the cost of the base game.

As for how that $6 compares to what people normally spend, clearly that's going to vary by person. For me, that's a fairly low price. If that's the case for you, I'd say get it like I did. For others, it might not be such a low cost and they might have to think more carefully about getting it.

Another factor to consider: availability. There's no guarantee that the expansion will be available after the Kickstarter, sold at retail, etc. I remember looking for the base game a while back, and it was hard to find (at least at reasonable prices). I can imagine the same thing happening with the expansion. I think it's better to get it now when you have the chance, then skip it now and possibly regret it later.

I see that Tony has said the expansion is for more advanced players. If you're a beginner, should you get it then? I think the cost and availability factors above are still enough reason to say yes. But from a skill perspective, players generally aren't beginners forever. If you play the game often enough, you'll probably reach a point where you want advanced play options. So why not pick one up now in the expansion when you know you can get it? It's easy to set aside until you're ready for it. But if you skip it now, who knows how easy it will be to get in the future?

Regarding shipping, that's going to depend on where you are. For the US where I am, total shipping for the base game + expansion was the same as for only the base game. DanoG's flag is for Dominican Republic, which also appears to have the same shipping cost for game and game+expansion. njshaw2's flag is for the UK, which again has the same shipping costs for game and game+expansion. Granted, expansion alone is different, but the original post was asking about base game only or base game with expansion (unless I misread it). In that case, I don't see any shipping cost difference in these cases, and I'm guessing it's the same for most if not all counters, so shipping cost shouldn't affect the decision -- you'll pay as much in shipping for the base game as you will for base game and expansion together.

I hope this helps for anyone still making up their mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty Craine
United States
Linden
Michigan
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/themillshow
badge
Me
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
What was wrong with hand-cranks?!

I'm very sorry to hear about your battery, but as someone who is out the door at 5am in snow four to five months out of the year. Can I say.. YAY BATTERIES!! BOOO HAND CRANKS!! I'm also very grateful for automatic car starters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dronak wrote:
Short answer (because I write long posts):

Yes, get the expansion with the base game. Main reasons: low cost, future availability is uncertain, and skill-wise you'll probably want it eventually so you might as well get it now.

Detailed answer:

When I backed this project, I didn't think twice about it. I backed for the game and the expoansion. The base game is $20, and the expansion is only $6 more. That was sufficient reason for me. And as I understand things, the expansion is almost like a second game (though you need the base game's ships and stuff to play), for only $6 or 30% the cost of the base game.

As for how that $6 compares to what people normally spend, clearly that's going to vary by person. For me, that's a fairly low price. If that's the case for you, I'd say get it like I did. For others, it might not be such a low cost and they might have to think more carefully about getting it.

Another factor to consider: availability. There's no guarantee that the expansion will be available after the Kickstarter, sold at retail, etc. I remember looking for the base game a while back, and it was hard to find (at least at reasonable prices). I can imagine the same thing happening with the expansion. I think it's better to get it now when you have the chance, then skip it now and possibly regret it later.

I see that Tony has said the expansion is for more advanced players. If you're a beginner, should you get it then? I think the cost and availability factors above are still enough reason to say yes. But from a skill perspective, players generally aren't beginners forever. If you play the game often enough, you'll probably reach a point where you want advanced play options. So why not pick one up now in the expansion when you know you can get it? It's easy to set aside until you're ready for it. But if you skip it now, who knows how easy it will be to get in the future?

Regarding shipping, that's going to depend on where you are. For the US where I am, total shipping for the base game + expansion was the same as for only the base game. DanoG's flag is for Dominican Republic, which also appears to have the same shipping cost for game and game+expansion. njshaw2's flag is for the UK, which again has the same shipping costs for game and game+expansion. Granted, expansion alone is different, but the original post was asking about base game only or base game with expansion (unless I misread it). In that case, I don't see any shipping cost difference in these cases, and I'm guessing it's the same for most if not all counters, so shipping cost shouldn't affect the decision -- you'll pay as much in shipping for the base game as you will for base game and expansion together.

I hope this helps for anyone still making up their mind.

You probably just sold the game for me. I just heard about this through a friend. He knows I like solo gaming and this may be something I'm looking for. for about $30 (Shipping included) That's a whole lot of game. 4 ships that will likely have a different feel. More challenging mini expansion (I always love a challenge) Plus I love rolling dice so.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.