Subject: Economic Win with no Battles - 4 Players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had an interesting game of Risk Europe yesterday where I managed to win very quickly whilst there were only a couple of small battles during the entire game.

My Starting City was Paris, Player Two's starting city was London, Player Three's starting city was Kiev and Player Four's starting city was Constantinople. My only real worry then was from Player 2 and the possibility of them pushing south and attacking me from Britain.

My opening placement was half my force in Paris and half in Navarre which would then allow me to take Madrid in the first turn. After taking Madrid I was able to start taxing and earning a lot of money as well as extra troops from the Madrid and Paris bonus abilities. Meanwhile Player 2 was pushing north across to Stockholm whilst Player 3 and 4 were having minor skirmishes over Poland. This left me completely free to to build up vast reserves of money and effectively win the game after a few turns.

After taking Madrid I worked my way south and took Algeria which provided another crown. At this stage I had three crowns, one from Paris, one from Madrid and one from Algeria. I knew that Player 2 would eventually come south through Denmark so I had to act quickly. I forged right and took Zurich for my fourth crown. At this time the money I was making from tax far exceeded anything the other players could compete with. This allowed me to build a castle in Zurich and defend my crowns which I knew were safe for at least a couple of turns as no other players had any siege weapons.

I also acquired a crown card which was one of the easier missions to complete. All I had to do was to push into four different territories in one turn. So I used my two split expand cards to gain the extra crown from the card for my fifth crown and then push south from Zurich into Rome. Rome provided me with the sixth crown and its ability granted me an extra crown which gave me my seventh crown and the victory.

It was over very quickly and the other players a little surprised at the speed of my victory. Player 2 not attacking me early on and not competing for any of the territory east of Paris was probably a mistake. However he was the only player who could have stopped my strategy as the other two players were on the other side of the map and fighting between themselves. Even if Player 2 had attempted to attack me I had such reserves of money and units that he would have most likely had been crushed anyway.

I won without being involved in a single battle and with perhaps a total of three small battles between the other players. I doubt I'll be allowed to get away with such an easy victory next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We one player is basically left alone while the other players head for each other this can happen. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David LeftOn4ya
United States
Florence
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I play by Slight rule changes for a smoother, more balanced game. Includes 2/3/5/6 player variants.
Quote:
Steps for Kingdom Placement
1. When placing initial cities, each person gets one Gold Crown city and one black city. Claim in "snake order" with last player who picks gold city to start picking the black city, then go in reverse order so whoever picked the gold city first picks the black city last. You only collect the tax value from your Gold city.
2. Place 8 footman, 1 cavalry, and one archer between a Gold city and one adjoining city. Place 4 footman and one archer on your black city. Only place a Castle on your Gold city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also had several games with remarkably little combat. It totally depends on the mentality of the group, but I think a big factor among rational players is that combat can substantially weaken both of the participants relative to the other players. Because of this, the threat of combat often becomes more of a factor than combat itself. But I've also had some games that are just slugfests from the beginning. It's fun to see how different the game plays out with different sets of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you up the contest to 8 crowns, a quick victory becomes much more tricky without combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently picked up Risk Europe, after waffling over whether to get it for over a year. It was on sale for a relatively low price from Amazon.co.uk, so I went for it. I'm a big fan of Star Wars Risk and Academy Games' Birth of America Series. I think this game fits perfectly for gamers who like those types of games.

I've played it a couple times now and really enjoy it. Last night's game was interesting. I started with Constantinople. The other three players were fairly far away, and most everyone was concentrating on slowly building their forces rather than expanding. I was able to win in round three by expanding quickly into Kiev, Buda, Warsaw, and Athens. I then taxed twice and used the spend action to buy crown cards. (Split expand, Expand, Expand, Tax, Tax, Spend).

It would have been my second victory through racing to the crown cards, though, so we decided to switch to the advanced version of the crown cards. I still ended up winning in round 7 or so, and we only ever had two combats (one of the players made a huge push to take Kiev from me, but I had the force advantage and he rolled horribly).

Hoping to get more plays in soon to see how the group's behavior changes based on these results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It feels like this could be fixed with a fifth player. I wonder what the reasoning behind making it only four player was (apart from the cost).

There's a good chance for one player to be far away from everyone else and like you say can be won in three or four rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.