Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Borrows
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know when this game will be available through the usual online retailers in the UK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dudley
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Ian

I don't but I see that Hexasim are listing it as in stock while Agorajeux are listing it, but OOS.

I take that to mean...within a week or two in the UK given my previous experience.

Hexasim were listing Baptism by Fire as in stock a fortnight ago, but still have not despatched my copy, so maybe they were fibbing. This game is still not in the UK, I don't think.

We'll see what Esdevium's list says tomorrow.

On the bright side, the later Crete arrives the longer we can hold onto our cash! I'm guessing about £150? Ouch...

Cheers

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bown
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've already had it and sold out. I believe Second Chance have some copies. I played scenario 5 earlier this week in practice for the campaign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bown
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baptism by Fire arrived a few weeks ago btw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dudley
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Karl

Thanks for putting me straight. I normally order from Gameslore, and failing that Boardgameguru. They seem to get their stock from Esdevium.

I'm guessing you get yours via another route as you're so far ahead of them?

I rarely use SCG.

If I can't find something in the UK then I've always had good service from Hexasim (baring my BbF problem) and Agorajeux.

I always liked Infinity Games but they seem to have vanished...

Cheers

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Massey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered mine from NWS Wargaming Store in New York. Even with airmail postage it works out about 10% - 15% cheaper than any British retailer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Secondchance usually order some copies of MMP games via the pre-order program themselves, which are then sent direct to them from the publisher and it's those that are being sold - Hexasim probably do something similar.

There is usually then a second wave of games that arrive via distribution with Esdevium that find their way to Gameslore/B'guru and the rest, although I think B'guru also looks like they order a few direct now (maybe just from GMT - they have the new version of Manoeuvre available, which I haven't seen on the Esdevium release sheet yet). On several occasions over the last few years the delay in MMP games appearing via the Esdevium route has been quite long - several months - and certainly longer than simply the time taken for bulk shipping to get them across the Atlantic, so there does appear to be a 'glitch' in MMP getting games into general distribution in Europe. I've never got to the bottom of whether that problem lies at the MMP end or with Esdevium (Asmodee).

Hopefully Op Mercury will arrive soon, although I suspect I will be passing - I like the GTS system but the price is likely to be too much for me to justify, which was also the case with 'The Greatest Day'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rutan wrote:
I've ordered mine from NWS Wargaming Store in New York. Even with airmail postage it works out about 10% - 15% cheaper than any British retailer.

Have you factored in an additional 20% (calculated on combined item + shipping price) and a further £10 handling fee when it hits UK customs. You may get lucky (if it arrives via Royal Mail) but it's increasingly rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Borrows
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit surprised that it has already been and gone from The Games Store, was this an advanced copy? And how much did it sell for?

I'd buy it from Second Chance Games but their prices are always higher than the other retailers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hammond
United Kingdom
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mb
Over a dozen games ordered from the USA over the past year or so and not one has been stopped by customs, i'd always buy from NWS Wargaming Store as they are a lot cheaper than anyone over here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bown
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We get our MMP games direct from MMP. I'm a wargamer myself so I buy a few copies keep one for me and sell off the rest :-)

Richard969 wrote:
Hello Karl

Thanks for putting me straight. I normally order from Gameslore, and failing that Boardgameguru. They seem to get their stock from Esdevium.

I'm guessing you get yours via another route as you're so far ahead of them?

I rarely use SCG.

If I can't find something in the UK then I've always had good service from Hexasim (baring my BbF problem) and Agorajeux.

I always liked Infinity Games but they seem to have vanished...

Cheers

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bown
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, just ordered from MMP and paid for the priority shipping option. We were selling Operation Mercury for £170.

Biosphere wrote:
I'm a bit surprised that it has already been and gone from The Games Store, was this an advanced copy? And how much did it sell for?

I'd buy it from Second Chance Games but their prices are always higher than the other retailers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snakerensky wrote:
Over a dozen games ordered from the USA over the past year or so and not one has been stopped by customs, i'd always buy from NWS Wargaming Store as they are a lot cheaper than anyone over here.

Interesting - do you know who does their shipping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tagore Nakornchai
United Kingdom
Putney
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esdevium hasn't bought in any non-ASL MMp game since the middle of last year - I had trouble getting OCS Tunisia2 and Sicily 2 and ended up buying both from hexasim.

I think the last game bought in was Ghost Panzer for SCS, Last Blitzkrieg for BCS, Beyond the Rhine for OCS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evilm2twjunkie wrote:
Esdevium hasn't bought in any non-ASL MMp game since the middle of last year - I had trouble getting OCS Tunisia2 and Sicily 2 and ended up buying both from hexasim.

I think the last game bought in was Ghost Panzer for SCS, Last Blitzkrieg for BCS, Beyond the Rhine for OCS.

Hmmm - I was worried about that. I saw a post on another thread, by Perry Cocke from MMP, that they have stopped selling into distribution due to the discount insisted on by the distributors. I had hoped that meant just in the US but perhaps it's more widespread - I hope not. The lack of competition on the distribution side (thanks Asmodee) is making this a very expensive hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dudley
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you - I hadn't made the connection...but when I check my notes, I've ordered those games similarly from Hexasim / Agorajeaux.

With one exception I've never ordered from MMP (or any other producer) directly and I can't see myself doing so.

OTOH I've generally found the Hexasim / Agorajeaux prices (inc. delivery) to be similar to the UK suppliers I was using. I prefer to use UK suppliers so as to get the games in my hands asap. Saying that I think most of the ones mentioned are still in shrink / not played so not sure why I'm so time critical...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dudley
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexasim are now OOS for Op Mercury, but presumably will get more in. Listed as Eur 169 with free shipping to the UK, so I'm guessing about £148 in real money.

If they can do it (and presumably make a profit) why can't Esdevium?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard969 wrote:
Hexasim are now OOS for Op Mercury, but presumably will get more in. Listed as Eur 169 with free shipping to the UK, so I'm guessing about £148 in real money.

If they can do it (and presumably make a profit) why can't Esdevium?

At the moment Esdevium can't do it because it would appear that MMP are not selling (apart from ASL stuff) or Esdevium are not buying stuff from them. A more pertinant question would be why Secondchance/B'guru/Gameslore can't match the prices of Hexasim when buying direct from MMP.

Answers maybe - Hexasim buys in greater bulk and gets a bigger discount; operating costs in the UK are higher than in France; handling fees for shipping are higher than in France.

A fulfilment solution similar to that started by GMT is probably the best solution for us as customer, but on the same thread that Perry Cocke mentioned the distribution thing he also stated that they had looked into it and they hadn't been able to make it work for them - probably due to lack of volume, although not stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dudley
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And further to Steven's point - NWS are selling for $113 so about £88 before postage - half the price of the UK retailers!

Airmail shipping is $72 for $185 in total = £145, so about the same as Hexasim, but thanks for the heads up about NWS.

Perhaps we need a thread on "non-UK retailers with good prices, inc postage"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dudley
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a heads up that Hexasim now have this in stock again. I've just ordered at EUR169 including (free) delivery to the UK.

Assuming they don't profit on the exchange rate, then that's about £148.

Still a huge amount to pay for a game I'll probably never play; but very good value relative to other retailers, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Massey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
Rutan wrote:

Have you factored in an additional 20% (calculated on combined item + shipping price) and a further £10 handling fee when it hits UK customs. You may get lucky (if it arrives via Royal Mail) but it's increasingly rare.

I've never had any additional charges yet in the three orders I've made via NWS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.