Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincent Desrochers
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an influence 5 test to make with a map effect : discard an ally if the influence test fail...

If it takes me 3 actions the same day to make it (action #1 1 success, action #2 : 2 success and action #3 2 success), is it a

a) the combination of the 3 gives me a success so I don't discard any ally

or

b) it's 2 failures, so I must discard 2 ally ?

Great game by the way !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vdesrochers wrote:
I have an influence 5 test to make with a map effect : discard an ally if the influence test fail...

Which card is it?

If a regular Confront test, e.g. to influence a Stranger, I'd guess that the influence counts as a fail only if you don't roll any successes and turn the Stranger to an Enemy; if it's a precursor check to something else - like an influence test you have to pass in order to fight an Enemy - then I believe that in that case a "Whatever X test" must be passed on the first roll, so you failed right at the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Desrochers
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the card near me but it's a stranger (pirates)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
vdesrochers wrote:
I don't have the card near me but it's a stranger (pirates)...

Press Gang is the card.

Excellent question, btw. What does it mean to "fail" a test when it's possible to take multiple turns to pass one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We certainly thought that it was only a fail if you rolled no successes on your first attempt - everything else is a partial success.

But that begs two more questions - if you roll no successes on a subsequent turn, is THAT a fail? (It wouldn't flip a stranger to an enemy). And what about at the end of the day, when success tokens are removed - is that a fail? (Again, it wouldn't flip a stranger so I would say not).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
We certainly thought that it was only a fail if you rolled no successes on your first attempt - everything else is a partial success.

But that begs two more questions - if you roll no successes on a subsequent turn, is THAT a fail? (It wouldn't flip a stranger to an enemy). And what about at the end of the day, when success tokens are removed - is that a fail? (Again, it wouldn't flip a stranger so I would say not).

I would agree here. To fail the test you actually have to roll no successes. Not succeeding and failing are not the same thing. I don't believe you would lose an ally in either of the cases you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Compton
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we've understood it, is that if don't roll a success during a turn against influence test, then you fail, whether this is the first turn or not. If it's against a stranger, it will become an enemy and immediately attack.
If the test is not against a stranger, then the successes remain until you break camp the next morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robertcompton wrote:
The way we've understood it, is that if don't roll a success during a turn against influence test, then you fail, whether this is the first turn or not.

IIRC the text on influencing Strangers quite specifically states "if you have no successes from this turn or from any previous turn in the same day", or words to that effect - I'm pretty sure that so long as you roll at least one Influence success on your first test of the day, you won't turn the Stranger to an enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Compton
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phew - thanks for clarifying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules wrote:

Page 25

Fail a [attribute X] Test: If the number X is not specified, the Test is failed if the hero gains no successes in the given attribute against this card. If X is specified, then the Test is failed if fewer than X successes are gained. If an attribute is not specified, then the effect applies to any Test made against this card. If no Pass effect is given, there is no effect if the Test is passed.

The way I see it, as X is specified you need X successes and as this isn't a confront test, you get one shot at it or suffer the penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
IIRC the text on influencing Strangers quite specifically states "if you have no successes from this turn or from any previous turn in the same day", or words to that effect - I'm pretty sure that so long as you roll at least one Influence success on your first test of the day, you won't turn the Stranger to an enemy.

This is correct, p14.

Quote:
Perform an Influence Test in an attempt to defeat this
encounter. If the hero gains no successes in this Test
and has accrued none from previous tests
, the attempt
fails and the hero places one of their enemy tokens on
the stranger.

The same rules apply to the Press Gang, the fail condition is whenever you fail to roll any successes at all and have no previous successes either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Desrochers
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Tristan...

But too late, I've lost my ally but manage to win the game.

I appreciate your presence on the board. Your game fill my "level-up-find-item-battle-baddies" fix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vdesrochers wrote:
Thank you Tristan...

But too late, I've lost my ally but manage to win the game.

I appreciate your presence on the board. Your game fill my "level-up-find-item-battle-baddies" fix

Great news, cheers Vincent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(I don't have the card to hand)

Does it say "if you fail an influence test then..." or "if you fail an influence 5 test then..."?

If the former then I understand Tristan's ruling.

If the latter then doesn't page 25 ruling apply?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
firewizard wrote:
(I don't have the card to hand)

Does it say "if you fail an influence test then..." or "if you fail an influence 5 test then..."?

If the former then I understand Tristan's ruling.

If the latter then doesn't page 25 ruling apply?

"When you fail an Influence Test, sacrifice 1 Ally."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As always, Tristan's correct. I'll get me coat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.