Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Sword & Sorcery» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1) Rules state when you draw a critical it then goes to discard pile.

Does that mean it goes back into the draw bag? If not, when do the discards go back?

2) defense steps. Is it correct to assume they must be performed in that order? I cannot roll defense dice first and then apply magic shields after, for example?

3) the gremlin has the ability to steal coins. Doesn't that coin drop with the gremlin as loot when it is killed?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brach Munoz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also new to the game but here is my interpretation of your questions;

1. The token goes into a discard pile. It is unlikely you will run out of critical tokens but if you did, you would then throw them all into the bag again

2. Yes, follow the defense steps exactly.

3. I don't believe so, it's a virtual steal but they don't hold onto the coins to drop later, you just pay to the bank.

thanks.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
b4retina wrote:


3. I don't believe so, it's a virtual steal but they don't hold onto the coins to drop later, you just pay to the bank.



You're probably correct, Brach, but I still don't like the answer, so I've been playing it that the coins drop on Gremlin death in addition to their normal rewards. Otherwise, what did the Gremlin do with the coins?

At first, playing this way may seem like it removes the affect of the theft, because eventually you're going to kill that bugger and get your money back. So why bother?

Here's why: When a Gremlin, who prefers rich targets, steals the 50 Crown piece from the party's tank, you better believe that the mage is now fidgeting nervously!

So yeah, there is definitely a shift in the battle dynamics when thieving happens, even if there is no long term effect (the way I've been playing it).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dieter van Loon
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
Doesn't the Thieving power say Discard a random coin from hero (or area)?

As it is "discard" it should be returned to the supply else they would have worded it differently if it was an actual "steal".

I've been struggling on how to choose a "random" coin using the metal coins I got from the kickstarter. There's a big difference between the 5 and 50 ones. I've tried shaking them in my hands and letting one "slip" out of my hand on the table, but due to the different weights and size this does not seem to be optimal and a bit klunky.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Exuldur wrote:

I've been struggling on how to choose a "random" coin using the metal coins I got from the kickstarter.


I keep a set of polyhedral dice at hand, and spread the coins out in a row. Then pick an appropriate die and roll it. Still clunky, but randomness is good.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exuldur wrote:
Doesn't the Thieving power say Discard a random coin from hero (or area)?

As it is "discard" it should be returned to the supply else they would have worded it differently if it was an actual "steal".

I've been struggling on how to choose a "random" coin using the metal coins I got from the kickstarter. There's a big difference between the 5 and 50 ones. I've tried shaking them in my hands and letting one "slip" out of my hand on the table, but due to the different weights and size this does not seem to be optimal and a bit klunky.


Couldn't you exchange all your coins to make sure you always lose the lowest denomination? i.e. instead of one 50-crown coin, get ten 5-crown coins. Then you'd be guaranteed to just lose 5 crowns.

This "lose a random coin" rule seems really silly to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Glic2003 wrote:

Couldn't you exchange all your coins to make sure you always lose the lowest denomination? i.e. instead of one 50-crown coin, get ten 5-crown coins. Then you'd be guaranteed to just lose 5 crowns.


no, you must take the highest value coin. (pg. 40 - when a hero acquires crowns, he must place them on his hero sheet using as few coins as possible)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelteel wrote:
Glic2003 wrote:

Couldn't you exchange all your coins to make sure you always lose the lowest denomination? i.e. instead of one 50-crown coin, get ten 5-crown coins. Then you'd be guaranteed to just lose 5 crowns.


no, you must take the highest value coin. (pg. 40 - when a hero acquires crowns, he must place them on his hero sheet using as few coins as possible)


Oh, interesting, didn't know that was an actual rule. Thanks.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelteel wrote:
Glic2003 wrote:

Couldn't you exchange all your coins to make sure you always lose the lowest denomination? i.e. instead of one 50-crown coin, get ten 5-crown coins. Then you'd be guaranteed to just lose 5 crowns.


no, you must take the highest value coin. (pg. 40 - when a hero acquires crowns, he must place them on his hero sheet using as few coins as possible)


So... i could gain 50 gold as one coin then, drop five of them (the smallest unit of coin), forcing me to make change for 45: 4 silvers and 1 copper. That initially leaves me with 10% less gold, but with considerably more gold if someone steals a coin.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Kelteel wrote:
Glic2003 wrote:

Couldn't you exchange all your coins to make sure you always lose the lowest denomination? i.e. instead of one 50-crown coin, get ten 5-crown coins. Then you'd be guaranteed to just lose 5 crowns.


no, you must take the highest value coin. (pg. 40 - when a hero acquires crowns, he must place them on his hero sheet using as few coins as possible)


So... i could gain 50 gold as one coin then, drop five of them (the smallest unit of coin), forcing me to make change for 45: 4 silvers and 1 copper. That initially leaves me with 10% less gold, but with considerably more gold if someone steals a coin.


That, or ignore the "take the highest value coin" rule. The game police won't come after anybody.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kand Affar
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
sgbeal wrote:


So... i could gain 50 gold as one coin then, drop five of them (the smallest unit of coin), forcing me to make change for 45: 4 silvers and 1 copper. That initially leaves me with 10% less gold, but with considerably more gold if someone steals a coin.


No, you can't because there is no bank to give you change during the middle of the mission.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.