Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Tokaido» Forums » General

Subject: New Encounters - playable with deluxe edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
I understand the long out-of-print Tokaido: New Encounters expansion adds 4 new encounter cards that can be integrated into the deck. From what I have read, it uses the original card design for the retail game, and doesn't match the Deluxe edition due to the different card design (borders vs borderless, plus some changes to the graphic design in the deluxe edition).

So is it still considered playable with the deluxe edition anyways, or do you think being able to tell the next card is a New Encounters card by the different back hurts/ruins the game?

Just curious if anyone has tried these cards with the deluxe/collector's edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rilos wrote:
Just curious if anyone has tried these cards with the deluxe/collector's edition.
The cards came with the Collector's edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
The deluxe edition does not include those 4 cards? I've never looked into that edition but I'm honestly surprised.

Edit : I have the Kickstarter Collectors edition, which I'm 99% sure have these cards, you're talking about the retail deluxe edition missing them is that right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Interesting. I would have thought they might cause an issue due to the different card backs, since you could tell which cards are the new encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
The deluxe edition does not include those 4 cards? I've never looked into that edition but I'm honestly surprised.

Not that I'm aware of. They weren't in the set I just bought recently. According to this post:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1203964/these-promos-are-in...

the cards can't be integrated into the deluxe/collector's set due to the different card backs. I know you can do it, but you'd be able to know when the next card is a New Encounters card by the different back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
rilos wrote:
LunaWolvesMan wrote:

Not that I'm aware of. If I'm mistaken, somebody can correct me.

To be clear

Kickstarter Collectors : Should have them (will check later today)
Retail Deluxe Edition : Do you have this edition now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
rilos wrote:
LunaWolvesMan wrote:

Not that I'm aware of. If I'm mistaken, somebody can correct me.

To be clear

Kickstarter Collectors : Should have them (will check later today)
Retail Deluxe Edition : Do you have this edition now?

Yeah, I just bought the deluxe edition recently as a gift for my girlfriend for Christmas, but I opened it to check that everything was okay like I usually do, and it didn't include the New Encounters cards.

There's a bit of discussion about them on this thread:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rilos wrote:
LunaWolvesMan wrote:

Not that I'm aware of. They weren't in the set I just bought recently. According to this post:

the cards can't be integrated into the deluxe/collector's set due to the different card backs. I know you can do it, but you'd be able to know when the next card is a New Encounters card by the different back.

Are they at least the same size? If so, you could get away with using sleeves with opaque backs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
rilos wrote:
LunaWolvesMan wrote:

Are they at least the same size? If so, you could get away with using sleeves with opaque backs

I'd have to double-check, but I believe they are the same size. Interesting idea about using sleeves with opaque backs - I do use sleeves for these cards so maybe that's an option. I hate to lose the back artwork but at least this might be a workable solution.

How are the new encounters cards anyways? Does anybody actually play with them or do they throw things off balance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I was thinking - probably the easiest way to integrate the new encounter cards into the deluxe edition, if you also own the standard retail edition, is to just use the deck of standard edition encounter cards, instead of the deluxe edition. Then the new encounter cards would integrate without issue. The only drawback is the encounter cards would be the standard artwork, so they would stand out a bit with the borders, but that wouldn't affect gameplay at all. It would just be the odd deck that has borders when all the other decks don't. But I think that would be better than having the 4 new encounter cards stand out by themselves in the new deck. Of course this would only be an option if you have both the deluxe or collector's set and also the standard retail version.

Another thought - I wonder how it would play out if you just stuck the 4 new encounter cards in the deluxe encounter deck as-is? It could add an interesting dimension to the gameplay as an alternative. Everyone would see that the next card is one of the new encounter cards, based on the bordered back, but you wouldn't necessarily know which one, unless you've already gone through the others. Maybe that would "break" the game more than it would help it, or maybe it would add an interesting twist. Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls